Clearing the System Cache

Clearing the System Cache

With the release of the Spring Update we did provide a way for our product support engineers to help users diagnose and clear content from their system cache. This is most useful for the engineers to help those who are unable to download a game update, a system update, or who are having problems with their achievements.

The instructions for performing these steps were posted on Xbox.com in the forums by one of our support folks and wow....in a flash it seems like every website and forum site picked up on it and started to spread the word.

Below is the official word on this feature which the PR team is sending out to gamesites and news organizations who've asked about it.

The HDD cache clearing feature is a part of the Xbox 360 technical support process and is only supported in those instances. While the cache clearing operation will not harm or render your console inoperable, it should only be used when instructed by the Microsoft customer support staff. As always, any gamers experiencing any issues with their console should contact 800-4-MYXBOX instead of attempting to troubleshoot on their own via this feature.

I can provide a little more context on this. Clearing out your system cache:

- Will clear out the temporary copies of achievements and gamertiles on Memory Units or Hard Drives (note these get re-downloaded when re-connected to Xbox Live)

- Will clear out Game Updates stored on Memory Units or Hard Drives. (note these will get re-downloaded when launching that Game while connected to Xbox Live)

- Will not clear out system updates.

- Will not clear out the game areas of the hard drive where game titles cache their own information

-IndieGames (Daryl Welsh)

souricon.gif News source: Xbox Team Blog

An undocumented feature in the latest Xbox360 dashbaord update has surfaced -- a cache clear. In order to perform this "maintenance" follow the instructions below. (Thanks, Kakarotto)

Go to the system blade and then memory. Press Y on either the HDD or a MU and then press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X. Once you do this a blade will pop up saying: This will perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices. Do you want to continue? Pick yes or no. Voila (it means 'there you go' in French before you start asking us where the Voila button is).

*NOTE: This also clears all game software updates. We feel we have to add this, we are not responsible for any damage you do to your console while performing this procedure. Although we do not see how it is in any way possible to damage said console, we know one of you will find a way and write us an irate email.

*NOTE: It has been brought to our attention that you may be able to use this method to "un-update" Oblivion so you can perform the unlimited gold exploit. If someone wants to try this please let us know if it indeed works.

souricon.gif News source: GamersReports.com

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried using the maintenance feature since my HDD seemed to be acting up - saves were taking too long, a couple of games would seemingly freeze for 1 - 2 minutes when accessing the hard drive, etc. Surprisingly it seems to have fixed the problems. :)

I just decided to post this as a heads up for anyone who has been experiencing the same problems.

Is this safe? :\

I wanted to "reset" my console to it's origin values, so that I could update again the Xbox Backward Compatibility. By the way, I don't have LIVE. :s

I wanted to "reset" my console to it's origin values, so that I could update again the Xbox Backward Compatibility. By the way, I don't have LIVE. :s

Yeah, it's safe. It only deletes the cache and game updates. If you don't have Live, then I assume you don't have any updates to worry about getting again?

Well... I've only updated the backward compatibility by downloading it from Xbox.com and burning on a cd. :s By the way, does this updates have also system updates, like dashboard and stuff?

By the way just to let u guys know if you are planning of clearing cache then it will also delete the ipod update. Which you can only download once on your current tag. If you want to dowload again you have to have another silver account to dowload the update.

By the way just to let u guys know if you are planning of clearing cache then it will also delete the ipod update. Which you can only download once on your current tag. If you want to dowload again you have to have another silver account to dowload the update.

But for example, I don't have a LIVE. Does this means that when I get live, that ipod update will be downloaded?

But for example, I don't have a LIVE. Does this means that when I get live, that ipod update will be downloaded?

can I ask why you don't have an Xbox Live account? I mean, you been saying the same thing over and over but you don't say why you don't have at least a Silver account which has all the same features Gold has except for online multiplayer. :unsure:

you can open a Silver account from your Xbox 360 or from any PC using your passport account, it won't cost you cent and it doesn't ask for credit card or anything like it. :happy: :yes:

I don't have a LIVE account just for two simple reasons:

- My Xbox 360 is in a different room where I have my modem and I still don't have a wireless router to share my internet connection.

- Xbox LIVE will be officially available on my country on the first week of November. :p

But asides this, you still haven't answered my questions. :s

yes, it's safe.

you can "reset" your system settings by running the "initial setup" found in your system blade... but, this only resets your system settings not the content in your HDD as the 360 doesn't pack a "restore image" tool for the HDD b/c this will take a lot of space from it.

the HDD on a console is basically a huge memory card and b/c of that it can't be "restored" to its original factory settings unless format the drive and you'll lose the extras Microsoft packs with it. the emulation software is contained on a hidden system partition.

when you format your HDD what you're formating is the "user partition" not the "system partition", this avoids problems with clueless people.

I don't have a LIVE account just for two simple reasons:

- My Xbox 360 is in a different room where I have my modem and I still don't have a wireless router to share my internet connection.

don't be a fat ass and move the freaking 360 near the modem whenever you want to update your system or want to download something from XBL... :p

- Xbox LIVE will be officially available on my country on the first week of November. :p

you can open an Xbox Live account from anywhere in the world, even in places like antartica... all you need is a local address and you're good to go. :yes:

But asides this, you still haven't answered my questions. :s

check the first quote... :happy: :yes:

Spartan_X thanks for all the explaination! :)

niel18_us I'm a little confused. :p Probably cause of my lousy english... You said that if we clear the cache it would erase all the ipod support thingy and in order to get that update again we needed to log in to LIVE with a different gamertag. But for example, I don't have LIVE. When I log in for my first time it will download that update, correct? :s

Sorry for being such a "pain in the neck". :s

You have to go to the Xbox Live Marketplace to download the iPod support feature. It doesn't come installed on the system, so you shouldn't have anything to lose. You can just download it when you get your Live account.

^^^Game updates also apply to BC games too, fixing BC issues, and getting BC for a particular game.

-Spenser

Yeah, you're right. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that, lol. :wacko: I think the whole point was for him to clear out his backward compatibility updates. :rofl:

But cleaning the cache also clears up all backwards compatibility updates, wright? :s

Yes. :)

Are you sure about that? That seems odd that they would limit it to a single tag since it's free afterall... doesn't make sense.

Yeah after clearing the cache, I connected my ipod and nothing. I tried everthing then finally posted on xbox.com and someone advice me to open up a new silver account and download in that account and it worked. I had to do the same thing for the arcade games I bought with my old 360 and it wounld play in the new one. So I had to call customer support and got like 3600 points and dowloaded all the game in silver account. They gave me extra 1000 points to spend in my silver account, so I but gamer pictures and theme so I can use it with my current game tag Neo003.