BF2142 includes spyware

It's true:

igavy2ie7.th.jpg

How do you guys that want to purchase BF2142 feel about this? I have it on pre-order but am thinking twice about picking it up ...

[Edit 2]: Someone just spoke with DICE and here's their response to this:

John [John Hargelid of DICE] told me that it's an integrated module in the game that's only active when you play. This is used to gather statistics on the ads that will be in Battlefield 2142.

John says that there are no connections what so ever to spyware and that the code doesn't send information about your surfing habits. The information that is transmitted to DICE/EA has nothing to do with your personal surfing habits.

In conclusion: No information regarding your surfing habits will be transmitted and the program is only active when you play Battlefield 2142. The only statistics that are sent are from the in game ads in Battlefield 2142.

[Edit 1]: Here's the complete text.

The Software may incorporate technology developed by IGA Worldwide Inc. ("IGA") (the "Advertising Technology"). The purpose of the Advertising Technology is to deliver in-game advertisements to you when you use the Software while connected to the Internet. When you use the Software while connected ot the Internet, the Advertising Technlogy may record your IP address and other anonymouse information ("Advertising Data"). The Advertising Data is temporarily used by IGA to enable the presentation and measurement of in-game advertisements and other in-game objects which are uploaded temporarily to your personal computer or game console and changed during online game play. The Advertising Technology does not collect any personally identifiable information about you, and EA will ont provide IGA with any of your personally identifiable information. The servers used by the Advertising Technology may, from time to time, be located outside your country of residence. If you are located within the European Union, the servers may be located outside the EU.

By installing and using the Software, you agree to: (i) the transfer of the Advertising Data to servers located outside your country of residence and, if applicable, outside the European Union; (ii)the collection and use of the Advertising Data as described in this Section; and (iii) the delivery of advertising and marketing content by the Advertising Technology. IF YOU DO NOT WANT IGA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, OR TRANSMIT THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, DO NOT INSTALL OR PLAY THE SOFTWARE ON ANY PLATFORM THAT IS USED TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET."

Edited by Lexcyn

It's semi-spyware. They serve adverts in the game and count which ones you look at the most. They do it with your implied consent, and they don't go on browser cookies, like people were speculating in the news thread today.

They will take which ones you notice the most, and serve you more similar ads.

Similar tech exists in Swat 4. It's unobtrusive + 'anonymouse' [sic].

This sort of thing is getting more and more commonplace, and there is pretty much nothing we can do about it. They have ads everywhere we go now. We can't even go to a movie any more without watching 30 mins of friggin ads BEFORE the movie starts, and then they are starting to put ads IN movies. Ads are going to be everwhere...eventually in our friggin sleep because more and more companies are trying to brainwash us! First it was billboards near the streets everywhere, and then they started to show up everywhere (even our own homes when we don't really want them!)

I wish a consumer rights group would lash out and try to get this crap stopped!

some people will find any reason to bash.... i would not call this spyware at all... while it may fall under the definition of it I am more concerned with personal data and anything that would effect my pcs performance.... so while i am holding off buying this game due to the # of 360 games coming out... this would not effect me at all

This sort of thing is getting more and more commonplace, and there is pretty much nothing we can do about it. They have ads everywhere we go now. We can't even go to a movie any more without watching 30 mins of friggin ads BEFORE the movie starts, and then they are starting to put ads IN movies. Ads are going to be everwhere...eventually in our friggin sleep because more and more companies are trying to brainwash us! First it was billboards near the streets everywhere, and then they started to show up everywhere (even our own homes when we don't really want them!)

well I would like to believe that the ads help keep the development costs down and in turn keep the prices the down, also as far as video game ads... im all for them ... i like the idea of real companies being placed within games... makes it a lil more real...lol

Speaking of the game, just when the heck can people start playing it?!

EA Downloader is all cryptic, no word on the official site and I didn't see any copies at Best Buy today

EA Downloader is all cryptic, no word on the official site and I didn't see any copies at Best Buy today

My receipt for Future Shop says release is Oct 19th ... I think Best Buy is the same, but who knows. :p

this isnt an MMORPG like planetside which uses ads to keep sub costs down. EA/Dice have no right implementing this in to the game and i will not be buying BF2142 especially considering the amount of bugs still in BF2. If people want to waste their money on this then fine go ahead.

ive read on a few sites it will be unlocked tomorrow

this isnt an MMORPG like planetside which uses ads to keep sub costs down. EA/Dice have no right implementing this in to the game and i will not be buying BF2142 especially considering the amount of bugs still in BF2. If people want to waste their money on this then fine go ahead.

Their game, their rules.

LOL

oh yeah!

they released a 0-day patch today. word of advice ladies, wait for quake wars, ea really messed up and everyone thinks this game is a BFV remake so, save your money, get flight simulator x. this game is trash

Why did I instantly think of Futurama when you said that? :rofl: :rofl:

I think it's a right con how they put ads in games (and movies) that you've already paid for.

As if they don't make enough money off it without the extra revenue of the ads. They should either lower the price of the game, or get rid of the ads.

I should start one of those pointless online petitions that nobody pays any attention to :p

I think it's a right con how they put ads in games (and movies) that you've already paid for.

As if they don't make enough money off it without the extra revenue of the ads. They should either lower the price of the game, or get rid of the ads.

I should start one of those pointless online petitions that nobody pays any attention to :p

Would it spoil your enjoyment of the game? Just ignore them

Would it spoil your enjoyment of the game? Just ignore them

Depends how they were implemented. The ads at the start of DVD movies annoy me, as do the ones before the movie at the cinema.

If they were just a static image somewhere in the game, I probably wouldn't care. But if they moved onto have crazy frog-esque ads, or other annoying sound ads "Shoot the cow to win something rubbish!" <accidently shoots the cow (say its a FPS game)> <insert a thousand popups here>.

I mean, aslong as they don't go overboard, which they will inevitably do, it's fine :p

Wow! thats so out of order! but easily fixed.. find out all of the relevant information like Port and Address and block the ads in the Hosts file! unless of course... you cant run the game without them

Upon further investigation it's a load of FUD, no different than the ads in PlanetSide. The odd billboard on the side of a building, and the game tracks if you look at it or not. Cookies/any info not in BF2142 are not gathered.