mixed icons after IE7 install?

Hey there... not sure how to go about explaining this but I'll try. Curious if anyone else is running into this (seen variations of this on 3 diff pc's)

The IE7 related file type icon's. Some of them are updated, some of them aren't. For example... the IE icon in the start menu looks like the new icon. But shortcuts (.url files) and .htm/.html files all have the old IE6 icon look. .url files sometimes also have a broken icon assigned to them (the default windows one) and .html files no longer have the "e" on a white page.. they're the full "e" of IE.

Here's the odd thing. I've looked into Folder Options, File Types... when I attempt to change the icon, the icon its pointing to is the updated look.. however no matter how many times switching it and switching back, the updated look doesn't take. In fact, with the .html files, the icon doesn't even match the right icon, let alone having the old look.

I've used TweakUI to repair icons... that does, in fact, fix them to the new looking icons...until the next reboot. However, it doesn't repair .html files, for example, to obey the correct looking icon.

Its more of an annoyance than a complaint to me.. and only an annoyance because I can't seem to find a permanent fix to it. The fact that its assigning a completely differently looking icon to .html files when I choose the "e" on a white page look drives me nuts because it doesn't make sense. Just wondering if anyone else is encountering icon weirdness and if they've managed to fix them?

Thanks!

(Wall of Text crits you for 1,000,000 damage. you die!)

I just tried this by making the IE7 the default browser (from FF), and the saved .htm page I had on my desktop switched to the correct, new icon. Maybe try to switch from one to the other...?

i -think- i tried that too but don't think it worked. i can try it anyway just in case. anywho..i take it that you're not having any icon weirdness then?

anywho I've managed to find other people with the exact same problem on the Microsoft support newsgroups here. Specifically the thread called "i have 3 problems in IE7 final" Seen this exact thing on 3 different PC's now. Glad its not just me.

Sylly Spyder :p

What you don't realize is this is all a dream, and you're merely dreaming of others having the same issue. In reality, you're 10 years old, asleep in your bed, and your mother is calling for you to come down to breakfast! :bounce:

OK, I totally don't know where that came from :rofl:

yep. in fact, changing the icon for html/htm/mht/mhtml files doesn't do anything at all. regardless of what I change it to, it stays the "E" icon. its very strange. this is after switching it to firefox default and back, deleting iconcache.db, using tweakui to repair icons, etc etc.

well yea theres other ways to go about it. its not even really a big issue. the issue is that its not doing what it should be doing and I don't understand why... so I need to figure it out. Its this problem I have with PCs lol

oh... I did figure one thing out at least. it doesnt seem to be related to IE7 because I uninstalled it and the same thing was happening. its so odd. i'm going to figure this out dammit lol

many user say using TweakUI to rebuild the icon cache, but it's not the right thing to fix the ALL FULL IE ICON problem. because i think something wrong with the icon index in regsitry, Just simply run this vb script, all types of ie icons will be repaired

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/htmiconfix.vbs

the content is

WshShell.RegWrite "HKCR\.htm\", "htmlfile", "REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKCR\.html\", "htmlfile", "REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKCR\.mht\", "mhtmlfile", "REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKCR\.mhtml\", "mhtmlfile", "REG_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKCR\htmlfile\DefaultIcon\", "%Programfiles%\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE,1", "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKCR\mhtmlfile\DefaultIcon\", "%Programfiles%\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE,22", "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
WshShell.Regdelete "HKCR\htmlfile\ShellEx\IconHandler\"
WshShell.Regdelete "HKCR\mhtmlfile\ShellEx\IconHandler\"
WshShell.Regdelete "HKCR\FirefoxHTML\ShellEx\IconHandler\"
WshShell.Regdelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.HTM\Application"
WshShell.Regdelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.HTM\ProgID"
WshShell.Regdelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.HTML\Application"
WshShell.Regdelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.HTML\ProgID"
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IEXPLORE.EXE\", "%Programfiles%\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE", "REG_EXPAND_SZ"
Wshshell.RUN ("regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll -i -s")
Wshshell.RUN ("regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll -i -s")

Not rexactly sure I get your problem but I guess it's the same as I have, that IE7 won't show your favicons correctly, it only shows a genereic icon, even if I chose a certain favicon, it gets resetted :(

IE 7 will set the icon in your favorites list to the site's favicon if it has one, or to the default IE 7 if it doesn't.

If you want to set a favicon of your own to a favorite, do so, then set that favorite to read only (right click on the favorite, general tab, check read only, click apply, OK). Then IE 7 will not change the icon on your favorites. However the address bar and the tab will show the site's favicon or default IE icon.

our big mistake was installing beta versions of IE7

these betas bugs still in our computers even after we uninstalled betas and installed IE7 final !!

maybe i should format my computer !!!!!

Not rexactly sure I get your problem but I guess it's the same as I have, that IE7 won't show your favicons correctly, it only shows a genereic icon, even if I chose a certain favicon, it gets resetted :(

This is a totally different issue. Make a new thread or search for 'favicon'.

our big mistake was installing beta versions of IE7

these betas bugs still in our computers even after we uninstalled betas and installed IE7 final !!

maybe i should format my computer !!!!!

i installed final version on computer that i never installed betas on it and same problem appeared.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem, with slight variations.

I have Firefox, so most of my html/htm files have the Firefox icon, but some (like the ones I added to favorites through IE) have/should have the IE url icon.

Since installing IE7, all of my icons previously associated with IE internet shortcut files look like a generic icon instread of the explorer "e" on top of a white page.

I tried going through "folder options" - "file types." For the .url (internet shortcut) extension the generic icon remains no matter what I change it to through "advanced" - "change icon."

For example, if I want to use the icon in "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\url.dll" in the preview it will look like IE7 (blue e with yellow circle, has a red astrisk by it). I click ok, but the "edit file type" window then displays the IE6 (all blue) icon, and clicking ok again returns to the "file types" tab where the generic icon is still standing.

Also in the file types tab, if I click on "change" (for which program will open the .url extension), it will have under "Recommended programs" IE with the IE7 homepage icon (white and purplish house), but under "Other Programs" it will say Internet Explorer again, but with the IE6 icon.

I think I may be on to something, but I'm not sure what to do with this discovery:

In C:\Windows\ie7 (hidden folder), the iexplore.exe file is still the 6.0 version.

It appears that IE7 installation did not reach that folder and now the files that should all correspond to v.7 are confused because of the random appearance of v.6.

Yet another update:

When I first installed IE7 it was through Windows Automatic Update, so my anti-virus and other anti-malware software was running in the background. I uninstalled IE7, downloaded the .exe installer from the Internet Explorer website, disabled all anti-malware software and reinstalled. And what do you know, the icons in the favorites folder look as they should (IE7 blue e with gold halo on white page).

but

In File Options - File Types, things are still off.

The URL icon under "extensions" looks like a generic windows icon.

If you have URL selected and click "advanced" the icon in the preview is the IE6 blue e on white page.

If you then click "change icon" it takes you to the system32\url.dll icon options where the IE7 blue e with gold halo on white page appears to be selected. Selecting it again and clicking ok takes you back to the "advanced" icon preview which still has the IE6 icon.

Also, if you go to the "change" (with which program the file will open) window, there are two options for Internet Explorer. One is represented by the IE7 homepage icon (purplish house) and the other is the IE6 big blue "e."

This is all odd in general since on my other computer all anti-virus/malware live protection was running and it seems to have installed all icons normally.

• 2 months later...

I just happened by and will review the posts but I have some odd results with IE 7.0

and want to change the settings if possible to save html or htm the same way as

old browsers.

So I save a web page and its mht then make sure its htm, but no picture files are saved.

So I go to FF and save htm the old way and retrieve a page with graphics and so on.

So what gives, internet graphics are to be protected from download or MS gets sued

and every one else gets stewed up over not seeing what we saw in the first place.

Its like the youtube government ufo prowlers shouting down posts of ufos like they

saw a banshee.

So any hints on getting normal page saves from IE 7.0 with some neat setting arrangement?

Hey there... not sure how to go about explaining this but I'll try. Curious if anyone else is running into this (seen variations of this on 3 diff pc's)

The IE7 related file type icon's. Some of them are updated, some of them aren't. For example... the IE icon in the start menu looks like the new icon. But shortcuts (.url files) and .htm/.html files all have the old IE6 icon look. .url files sometimes also have a broken icon assigned to them (the default windows one) and .html files no longer have the "e" on a white page.. they're the full "e" of IE.

Here's the odd thing. I've looked into Folder Options, File Types... when I attempt to change the icon, the icon its pointing to is the updated look.. however no matter how many times switching it and switching back, the updated look doesn't take. In fact, with the .html files, the icon doesn't even match the right icon, let alone having the old look.

I had a similar problem, I had Firefox installed, downloaded Internet Explorer 7 and installed it, My .htm/.html files opened in Firefox but had the IE7 icons, I tried changing them in Folder Options but no luck, and my .css file icons looked like .ini file icons, No matter what I did they didnt change back.

Gad a small annoyance, open windows are folded into one minimize in a time delay.

After spending time on one page the rest are minimized, where is the control for this.

I had a similar problem, I had Firefox installed, downloaded Internet Explorer 7 and installed it, My .htm/.html files opened in Firefox but had the IE7 icons, I tried changing them in Folder Options but no luck, and my .css file icons looked like .ini file icons, No matter what I did they didnt change back.

IE 7 keep all the address or URL icons but FF is ending up plain htm/html pge icons.

• 9 months later...

I am having the same problem, months on.

I use IE7 and Firefox latest and Opera (I like them all), I know from last time I reformatted to set IE6 as default before downloading IE7. I know there is an entry appears in start up after installation of Run Once > Flush Icons (or similar wording), however this time it has not worked. I keep setting Firefox as default and changing back, to no avail!

Last time this happened I just rebooted twice and it went ok, now some of the url are the new IE7 icon, the ones with a direct url in the app, but those that launch via the "Target start in" are the old IE6 icons. Nothing seems to be solving this, if anyone now has the answer I would be grateful.

• 7 months later...
I am having the same problem, months on.

I use IE7 and Firefox latest and Opera (I like them all), I know from last time I reformatted to set IE6 as default before downloading IE7. I know there is an entry appears in start up after installation of Run Once > Flush Icons (or similar wording), however this time it has not worked. I keep setting Firefox as default and changing back, to no avail!

Last time this happened I just rebooted twice and it went ok, now some of the url are the new IE7 icon, the ones with a direct url in the app, but those that launch via the "Target start in" are the old IE6 icons. Nothing seems to be solving this, if anyone now has the answer I would be grateful.

OK I bravely installed Internet Explorer 8 beta, and Micro$oft Expression, i already had Firefox 3. After this, all my htm/html files appeared as yukky generic icons. I tried the IE reset settings, all the default browser settings for the browsers, and other things. Sometimes the IE icons would return, the idea was to restore the Firefox icons.

This worked for me:

Folder Options > FIle types > scroll to HTM > Advanced > change icon > change "look for icons in" to the path for the browser.

In my case this is 'C:\program files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe' . Then select the icon you want, below that, and OK > OK > close etc.

For Internet Explorer icons, the relevant path might be 'C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe'

Edited by gerix