Running Vista Applications in XP (Simpler)

Download this installer that I just made: http://www.bitsurge.net/files/vaiop1hf3inst092c.exe

MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE IE7 INSTALLED BEFORE RUNNING INSTALLER!

Also note that this is only for Windows XP SP2 so far.

Run the installer (I know there are some issues, I'm working on getting the bugs out of it), follow the instructions. This will not copy the sidebar, games, any other applications yet, it just automates the process of installing VAIO Beta 1 Preview 1 on your computer, you must still manually copy the applications. I'm trying to find out if it's legal to distribute imagex.exe from the Windows AIK with this package, this would allow the installer to automatically install all the applications for you. Post any bugs or suggestions you have here.

For now you can either copy the applications from a Windows Vista install or download the Windows AIK and use "imagex.exe" to mount sources\install.wim (from a Vista DVD) to a directory and copy the applications from there.

Edited by QuiescentWonder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The CRK_VISTAPP.A on a TM scan means that the file is a crack executable. In this case, a crack for vista applications. It is designed to crack a program, so it is regarded as not trustworthy. It might not contain a virus, but I wouldn't trust it anyway, given the OPs low post count and last active date.

If the app works, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too useful for quite a while, as XP looks fairly embedded and any software makers (besides games) would be foolish to go Vista only until a good portion of the market switches. However, if this can get DX10 games working, I'd be impressed.