Upgrade version: bad news

Bad news, guys. =/ You know how, when you purchased an upgrade version of XP, you could still do a clean install, and XP Setup would detect older versions of Windows, or you insert a disk and Windows would accept the older product and allow you to still do a clean install?

Well, this has been removed with Vista. When you insert the Vista DVD, and click "What to know before installing Windows", in the Help file, it says this:

You cannot start, or "boot," your computer from the Windows Vista upgrade disc.

So, you must have a "full" version of Vista to be able to do a clean install. An upgrade version only allows you to do an upgrade.

Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Thats how I would have expected an upgrade version to act.....

Past upgrades, such as XP, would simply ask you to insert the previous versions disk, I believe and then proceed to do a clean XP install.

Past upgrades, such as XP, would simply ask you to insert the previous versions disk, I believe and then proceed to do a clean XP install.

Correct. As soon as it checked that you were in compliance, it would proceed with setup just like the full version.

What's stopping you from downloading the older version's Windows iso and burning a copy and using that for the verification?

Even if it does require you to have XP installed, it should allow you to just dual boot between the two (I think). Thats what I've done. You're not going to want to get rid of XP right away anyway.

What's stopping you from downloading the older version's Windows iso and burning a copy and using that for the verification?

what's to stop you from installing a counterfeit xp edition then running the upgrade to vista dvd now?

it's the hassle to the end user that matters... with this new method, it doesn't thwart piracy any more than the previous one... but instead, adds some hassle to the install process for the end-user that now, won't ever get a "clean" Vista install :| which totally sucks.

Couldn't you just create a backup ghost copy (from windows backup) once you finally have Vista installed the first time? Then if you have to format ETC you could just use that instead of installing xp then vista over and over?

Surely this will just increase piracy because people can't get it cheaper without major inconvienience. Also don't weird things happen with upgrades (like i heard Internet Time dissapears frm XP)

In Paul Thurrott's review of Windows Vista RTM he says you can do a clean install from the upgrade disk:

"Clean install: With this method, you boot the PC from the Windows Vista install DVD, run interactive Setup, format the PC's hard drive, and install Windows Vista as the only OS. This is probably the rarest way to get Vista on a PC. You can use a "Full" or "Upgrade" retail version of Windows Vista to perform a clean install, though you will need "qualifying media"--typically a Windows XP or 2000 CD that proves you qualify for the Upgrade version."

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_03.asp

If you are currently using Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional x64, you are eligible for an upgrade copy to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista, but a clean install is required.

QFE.

Well, I'd like to know for sure, now. If I buy the upgrade version of Home Premium, can I boot off of it, have it ask for my XP Pro CD and then proceed to install itself as a new clean installation?

Bad news, guys. =/ You know how, when you purchased an upgrade version of XP, you could still do a clean install, and XP Setup would detect older versions of Windows, or you insert a disk and Windows would accept the older product and allow you to still do a clean install?

Well, this has been removed with Vista. When you insert the Vista DVD, and click "What to know before installing Windows", in the Help file, it says this:

So, you must have a "full" version of Vista to be able to do a clean install. An upgrade version only allows you to do an upgrade.

Got a source on that? Or is this your experience with a warezed version?

I call shenanigans till I see either a source, or proof that this failed for you on a so-far non-available upgrade edition! :sleep:

Are you sure Paul actually know's what he's talking about or is he just guessing? Have upgrade editions even been make available yet?

Paul has a lot of inside information, and his site is constantly watched by Microsoft. If he was wrong, I'm sure he'd have been corrected by now.

Well, I'd like to know for sure, now. If I buy the upgrade version of Home Premium, can I boot off of it, have it ask for my XP Pro CD and then proceed to install itself as a new clean installation?

Off-topic: I don't know if it affects you or if you know this, but Home Premium isn't quite analogous to XP Professional. Primarily, it can't join a Windows Domain :(

(holy huge ass font Batman!)

Hmm... you pulled this text out of the real RTM disc, did you? If it was out of that leaked RTM build, maybe they forgot to change the text.

Anyways, if they're really intending to do this, that means MS could be circulating two discs: a full version disc and an upgrade disc. Doesn't seem to make sense to me; chances are they'll use the same disc, and just pop up a silly warning stopping you from proceeding with the install when you enter an upgrade key.

As for:

"Clean install: With this method, you boot the PC from the Windows Vista install DVD, run interactive Setup, format the PC's hard drive, and install Windows Vista as the only OS. This is probably the rarest way to get Vista on a PC. You can use a "Full" or "Upgrade" retail version of Windows Vista to perform a clean install, though you will need "qualifying media"--typically a Windows XP or 2000 CD that proves you qualify for the Upgrade version."

Giving how fast he's rushing Vista content out the door, I would wait until he does thorough editing of his articles a month or two from now. I'm hoping what he said is right.