Vista RTM Bugs Thread

Over the last 10 days I have been using my copy of Vista RTM from connect as my main os on my laptop and I have found many bugs in it, some which are really doing my head in.

Anyway the idea of this topic is for people to post any bugs they have found and hopefully someone might have some idea of how to fix a few of them or at least confirm if they have the same problem.

Looking through Neowin it seems lots of people think RTM is perfect apart from a few driver issues, surely I can?t be the only person who has all the problems below can I:rolleyes:s::wacko:o:

Standby failsb> - This by far has to be the most annoying bug I have found so far in Vista, when I put the screen down on the laptop vista tries to enter standby but the screen just goes black and the fans speed up like crazy.. like they do when the CPU usage is on 100% then I can?t do anything but hold the power button down until the laptop turns off.

Temp Fix: In power options tell the laptop to hybernate when the lid is closed.

A similar thing happens on my PC, it will actually enter standby but there is no way to get it to resume it will power up but nothing will be displayed on the screeShutdown and Start up fail

When I shutdown Vista on my pc the screen just goes black, but when I turn it back it resumes from hibernation (even though I click the little arrow by the shutdown button and click shutdown and not hibernate) except after it says resuming windows my monitor displays "video mode not supported" so every time I want to use my pc I have to let it crash loading up, then reset it so it gives me the option to delete the hibernation data and to boot windows uCopying large files over a network kills networking in vista

This is also a VERY annoying bug I have found, whenever I copy a file across my network to or from my laptop that?s bigger than a few 100MB's the network connections just:|ie :| I don?t no how else I can explain it, windows says the wireless one is still connected but I cant access any other pc, or xbox on the network.

Look at the screenshot, it was copying the video file fine then i just got limated connectivity, even tho im connected to the network i cant access anything on it or the internet.

deadnetwork1.jpg

In Flash FXP and other ftp clients I get some error like it can?t "BIND" an IP or something, and Internet Explorer says the address of the website is not valid, even when typing its ip address in.

Flash FXP says:

WinSock 2.0 -- OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006

[R] Connecting to 192.168.0.22 -> IP=192.168.0.22 PORT=21

[R] BIND 192.168.0.22 - Error: Error Number (10013)

[R] Connection failed (Error Number (10013))

[R] Delaying for 120 seconds before reconnect attempt #1

Solution is to re starFlickering MCEng MCE

On my pc when Windows Media Centre is in full screen mode the screen flickers a bit like CRT monitors do when you see them on TV, yet it works totally fine in a window as does the Xbox 360 when been used as a Media Centre Black Screen in MCEin MCE

Sometimes when I load up media centre and try to watch TV it will pickup no channels and just display a black screen.

I can fix this by disconnecting my USB TV tuner and connecting it again, after that everything is fine, so perhaps this is a driver bug and not something wrong witMouse turns its self offlf off

As seen in the Video moving my mouse cause it to switch off, not really that bad as it still works on screen fine just gets annoying seeing a red flashing light in the corner of your eye when its dark.

Video of this: [url=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hill56/forums/vistabeta/mouse.wmv]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hill56/...abeta/mouse.wLines/distortion in Windows MCEws MCE

Sometimes when I load MCE up the actual interface has loads of lines through it as seen below

Same happens for watching live TV

MCE with lines in it:

tv1.jpg

MCE working ok

favlinks.jpg

See the screenshot, after a day of using vista they just disappeared :| no idea how to getb>Games Explorer is Brok is Broken

Again see the screenshot, its impossible to load any game up from it, I know this is at least one bug that other people have too.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hill56/forums/vistabeta/gamesexplorb>Rundll32 Stops workips working

Open any folder with MPEG video files in and your screen will get flooded with error message which says "windows host process (rundll32) has stopped working"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hill56/forums/vistabeta/mpegvideb>Importing video to Windows Movie Maker kills r kills it

Simple really try to import MPEG, DVR-MS, AVI in to windows movie maker and it will crash... makes the application pretty much useless don?t it?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hill56/forums/vistabeta/mob>Entries in the start menu aren?t namaren?t named

Look in system tools and Disc Defragmenter and Migration Wizard don?t have very user friendly names (yes im been fussy here but its a bug lol)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hill56/forums/vistabeta/defb>Fix: simply rename thsimply rename them

Man that's allot of problems.

The only issue I've ran into is mp3 links in ie quit lauching media player to play them they just come back with the standard unreachable ie error. I can paste the direct url in media player and they play fine. If I associate mp3 with a different program they are fine, as soon as I switch it back to media player she don't work anymore.

Well you've just had bad luck my friend.

1. Standby works fine on my laptop, either closing the lid or hit the power icon in the start menu

2. Shutdown/startup work fine

3. I don't get those lines in MCE and I use it quite a lot.

3. I have absolutely no problem transferring large files over my network (802.11g). It doesn't drop the network, it doesn't transfer painfully slow...in fact it goes quite quickly.

4. I never had the mouse problem you are having

5. I don't get the Rundll32 error you are getting

6. My start menu programs are named just fine.

The only "bug" I can confirm after using it for nearly a month now would be the Fav Links being blank all of a sudden.

Here is a question for you though, do you use CCleaner? If I had to guess I'd say CCleaner is wiping whatever temp file the Fav Links uses, hence out lists are blank now, but that is just an educated guess.

As for all the other "bugs" you think you've found. They are not bugs, I would guess you just have a bad install or bad driver support.

Oddly, the only one of your problems i can actually validate is that standby currently doesn't work for me, when i go into S3 standby i cannot wake the pc up again, so have to restart. And i don't have a Pictures folder anymore on the start menu, just two music folders, i caused that though and don't know how to remedy it.

It looks like a large amount of your problems could be attributed to driver issues.

Your start menu issue is weird, as i don't have that.

Here is a question for you though, do you use CCleaner? If I had to guess I'd say CCleaner is wiping whatever temp file the Fav Links uses, hence out lists are blank now, but that is just an educated guess.

As for all the other "bugs" you think you've found. They are not bugs, I would guess you just have a bad install or bad driver support.

Nope ive never used CCleaner.

I have re installed and got the same bugs again so i dont think its a bad install, all the drivers are from vista and windows update except my webcam one and card reader (which im using the signed xp drivers for) unsless them drivers are dodgey...

Well you've just had bad luck my friend.

1. Standby works fine on my laptop, either closing the lid or hit the power icon in the start menu

2. Shutdown/startup work fine

3. I don't get those lines in MCE and I use it quite a lot.

3. I have absolutely no problem transferring large files over my network (802.11g). It doesn't drop the network, it doesn't transfer painfully slow...in fact it goes quite quickly.

4. I never had the mouse problem you are having

5. I don't get the Rundll32 error you are getting

6. My start menu programs are named just fine.

The only "bug" I can confirm after using it for nearly a month now would be the Fav Links being blank all of a sudden.

sound like bugs to me, i tried vista but got annoyed with all the little bugs, features like UAC, crashes and generally poor support for software, hardware & games. list of problems;

several COM errors,

explorer crashed a few times,

rundll32 liked to crash randomly,

selecting files/folders in explorer was erratic, you can select 2 folders and let go of the mouse and it goes and selects everything,

photo gallery or whatever it's called could produce flickering images in full screen sometimes and perfect images other times.

theres too many new useless services and a whole bunch of new ones that if you disable something stops working, thought i would like aero but it gets old pretty quickly, it's like they spent more time on the GUI than on the actual os.

My laptop won't go into standby mode either. I also get the flickering video in MCE when full screen, but I think this is related to nvidia drivers as I didn't have that problem in RC1, but the problem started in RC2 (drivers changed). Also, I get the Rundll32 error messages as well as COM Surrogate error messages too, but its usually with divx video files, don't seem to have any problems with mpeg files.

Over the last 10 days I have been using my copy of Vista RTM from connect as my main os on my laptop and I have found many bugs in it, some which are really doing my head in.

Anyway the idea of this topic is for people to post any bugs they have found and hopefully someone might have some idea of how to fix a few of them or at least confirm if they have the same problem.

Looking through Neowin it seems lots of people think RTM is perfect apart from a few driver issues, surely I can?t be the only person who has all the problems below can I:rolleyes:s: :wackoStandby failsb> - This by far has to be the most annoying bug I have found so far in Vista, when I put the screen down on the laptop vista tries to enter standby but the screen just goes black and the fans speed up like crazy.. like they do when the CPU usage is on 100% then I can?t do anything but hold the power button down until the laptop turns off.

Temp Fix: In power options tell the laptop to hybernate when the lid is closed.

A similar thing happens on my PC, it will actually enter standby but there is no way to get it to resume it will power up but nothing will be displayed on the screeShutdown and Start up fail

When I shutdown Vista on my pc the screen just goes black, but when I turn it back it resumes from hibernation (even though I click the little arrow by the shutdown button and click shutdown and not hibernate) except after it says resuming windows my monitor displays "video mode not supported" so every time I want to use my pc I have to let it crash loading up, then reset it so it gives me the option to delete the hibernation data and to boot windows uCopying large files over a network kills networking in vista

This is also a VERY annoying bug I have found, whenever I copy a file across my network to or from my laptop that?s bigger than a few 100MB's the network connections just:|ie :| I don?t no how else I can explain it, windows says the wireless one is still connected but I cant access any other pc, or xbox on the network.

Look at the screenshot, it was copying the video file fine then i just got limated connectivity, even tho im connected to the network i cant access anything on it or the internet.

In Flash FXP and other ftp clients I get some error like it can?t "BIND" an IP or something, and Internet Explorer says the address of the website is not valid, even when typing its ip address in.

Flash FXP says:

Solution is to re starFlickering MCEng MCE

On my pc when Windows Media Centre is in full screen mode the screen flickers a bit like CRT monitors do when you see them on TV, yet it works totally fine in a window as does the Xbox 360 when been used as a Media Centre Black Screen in MCEin MCE

Sometimes when I load up media centre and try to watch TV it will pickup no channels and just display a black screen.

I can fix this by disconnecting my USB TV tuner and connecting it again, after that everything is fine, so perhaps this is a driver bug and not something wrong witMouse turns its self offlf off

As seen in the Video moving my mouse cause it to switch off, not really that bad as it still works on screen fine just gets annoying seeing a red flashing light in the corner of your eye when iLines/distortion in Windows MCEws MCE

Sometimes when I load MCE up the actual interface has loads of lines through it as seen below

Same happens for watchingFix: Close MCE, load it up again and it will be fine fFav links don?t work??t work

See the screenshot, after a day of using vista they just disappeared :| no idea how to getb>Games Explorer is Brok is Broken

Again see the screenshot, its impossible to load any game up from it, I know this is at least one bug that other peopb>Rundll32 Stops workips working

Open any folder with MPEG video files in and your screen will get flooded with error message which says "windows host process (rundll32) has stopped wb>Importing video to Windows Movie Maker kills r kills it

Simple really try to import MPEG, DVR-MS, AVI in to windows movie maker and it will crash... makes the application pretty much useleb>Entries in the start menu aren?t namaren?t named

Look in system tools and Disc Defragmenter and Migration Wizard don?t have very user friendly names (yes im been fussy here b>Fix: simply rename thmply rename them

[*Image links removed*]

That sounds like a lot of it might be your video drivers... Have you tried contacting Acer support or checked for newer drivers/BIOS flashes? And I've heard that at least one of the 'codec packs' floating around causes problems of some sort. As for the favorites, I'm not sure, since I didn't use those... Hope this helps! :)

most of your issues can be solved with updated bios and drivers it seems

That sounds like a lot of it might be your video drivers... Have you tried contacting Acer support or checked for newer drivers/BIOS flashes? And I've heard that at least one of the 'codec packs' floating around causes problems of some sort. As for the favorites, I'm not sure, since I didn't use those... Hope this helps! :)

For my laptop I?ve checked the Acer website and ftp, I already had the latest Bios and I know I have the latest drivers as windows either installed them its self or I downloaded them from windows update.

Same for my pc latest bios from the Asus website and drivers for everything.

I have the ATI drivers that come with Windows Vista, not installed the ones off the ATI site as I had them installed before I re installed vista and they supported less screen resolutions than the drivers that came with Vista, i will install the ATI ones if they release some new drivers though.

As for codec packs i installed the "Vista Codec Pack" as i fugured it should be fully vista compatable, ill un-install it and see if i still get them mpeg issues.

Most of these bugs I can live with for now as the only ones that really bother me is the fact I cant use stand by at the moment and when I want to back things up it kills the network connection.

Im glad its just not me who's having some of thise problems but it looks like i have more than most people!!:unsure:e:

I have had most of those issues like not going into sleep, I was told by toshiba, it is a bios thing and that the final vista bios will be finished soon, I have had many driver issues, but that is just because not all drivers are final yet

As far as drivers are concerned, the ones that come with vista are not the latest, neither are the ones on windows update, they are simply good enough to make the hardware "function". Latest can be found on the companies websites. The fact your using a laptop means your hardware needs more driver support than the average pc so it's not terribly unusual that you have all these problems. Nvidia are the same, its hardware to get new nvidia go drivers then it is for desktop ones.

I don't have too many issues with my desktop PC (Dell Optiplex GX260) but I've had to give up on Vista with my laptop as it was rendering it almost completely useless.

It's a Time 8050i and I actually had no problems with the install and Vista detected every bit of hardware first time but I had two problems which made it completely useless.

1. Every 10-15 minutes, the screen would collapse and all I ever got was an inch or so of squashed desktop at the top of the screen. The only cure was a hard reset.

2. On battery, from a full charge to flat running XP was around 75 minutes if I had WLAN on and really used it. Under Vista, I get about 15 minutes top and it gets really really hot. The fan is on almost constantly. I have played about with power settings to I'm blue in the face with no luck.

So in the end, I gave up on Vista fro the time being on my laptop but I'm still really happy with it on my Desktop although I do get the Rundll32 error from time to time.

About the favorites not worknig. Are you using Windows Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover 1.0? That ****ed up my favorites.If you are yousing it then to bring favorit links back you need to put the arrows back on the shorcuts , log off and on again!

About the Rundll32 Stops working error! Do yuo have Nero? It was the cause of the Rundll32 problem on my comp! To fix the problem uninstal nero and instal Ashampoo Burning Suite. You can download Ashampoo burning studio 2007 for FREE here :

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/burningstudio/index

I'm not having any *real* problems with vista. But sometimes it suddenly changes the perfomance... I mean, sometimes out of a sudden the system will use 200 mb more physical memory, and I can't figure out what causes it. After closing all programs and leaving it with nothing opened, it will still be that memory usage. Not that it's that important to me, but sometimes the system gets "slow" because of this "memory swapping" and I have to restart.

Something similar happened to me in the betas... the performance could be perfect for some time, then the memory / disk would do crazy things and leave me with no choice but restart.

I've had the same issue with the Fav's link being blank. I've also had some probs with full screen video from MCE but the same file will play fine in WMP 11, I figure its the graphics card and the overlay's they use within MCE that are giving me the conflict.

Other than that, my wifi never detects on boot until about a minute after the system is done loading. It works, but just not right away.

hmm, are you sure you are using a real RTM copy. I was under the impression that the desktop icons had been changed to new glassy ones. The ones on your desktop are RC2 icons. Maybe I am wrong ...

About the favorites not worknig. Are you using Windows Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover 1.0? That ****ed up my favorites.If you are yousing it then to bring favorit links back you need to put the arrows back on the shorcuts , log off and on again!

About the Rundll32 Stops working error! Do yuo have Nero? It was the cause of the Rundll32 problem on my comp! To fix the problem uninstal nero and instal Ashampoo Burning Suite. You can download Ashampoo burning studio 2007 for FREE here :

Humm so it sounds like i might need a BIOS update for the standby thing, i hope acer will release one.. but then again hopefully a patch will fix it as it works fine in xp.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/burningstudio/index

Ahh yes i was using Windows Vista Shortcut Overlay Remover, thanks for the tip thats one problem gone allready.

Yes i do have nero! hopefully the nero time will fix that in the next release but if not ill have a look at Ashampoo :D

Cheers for them tips!

hmm, are you sure you are using a real RTM copy. I was under the impression that the desktop icons had been changed to new glassy ones. The ones on your desktop are RC2 icons. Maybe I am wrong ...

Yes its totaly legit, i got my copy from ms connect and just got my cd key today to activate it :)

Here is one good bug I found in RTM

recycleyt1.jpg

When you try to empty the recycle bin, it will empty but the image will not change. I tried creating new profiles which will work correctly for a little while and then begin to do the same thing.

Another bug, is that I cleared my thumbnail cache for all my videos, and now it won"t re-create them no mattter which settings i choose. go figure.

Most of the rundll32 and COM Surrogate problems, as well as some divx\mpeg problems are all attributed to Nero. Removing it tends to fix most of those. Most of the other problem in this thread are related to video drivers (Sleep, Hibernate, Shutdown and Startup) which are quite bad currently. nVidia and ATi need to get off their asses quicker.

The title of this thread is a bit misleading though, As almost none of these can actually be called Vista bugs.