Disable Smooth Scrolling in Vista?

so after some googling, i found this:

Q. Does Control Panel allow users to enable or disable smooth scrolling support?

No. Windows Vista automatically enables smooth scrolling for mouse devices that report this functionality. There are currently no plans to provide a user interface in Control Panel or the registry to allow system-wide or user-specific ways to disable smooth scrolling.

To adjust smooth scroll settings, third-party Control Panel items can use the SystemParametersInfo function in Windows Vista and later versions of Windows with uiAction set to one of the following system-wide accessibility parameters:

BAH! so does this mean i have to wait for someone to come up with some sort of tweak software? or wait for Vista Powertoys?

source: http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/f...65f5b/Wheel.doc

anyone know a hack yet?

Well I'm not really sure if this is what your looking for but.

The is a smooth scroll option for IE under "Internet Options" and then advance.

And you can also disable smooth scrolling for list boxes by right clicking on "Computer" in the Start menu then going to prop. then click on "advanced system settings" on the left hand side, then under the advanced tab click on the button for "Performance Options".

Anything else is going to be on a per application basis.

well.. i really want to disable it in Windows Explorer. I hate the smooth scrolling when browsing my huge folders of mp3 singles. WITHOUT smooth scrolling, it's easier to see the first letters of the filenames and easily stop at where i want.

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno if these will help you, got them from somewhere and forget where but they are for Vista. I think I collected them during the beta, anyway, doesn't hurt to try them out and you can always remove them. BTW, the one for IE is an actual setting in the registry so don't delete that one if you don't want it, just change it back to its default '1'. the ones for desktop and explorer don't normally appear in the registry so it will be OK to delete those if it doesn't work out for you.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"SmoothScroll"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

Why can't you imagine someone asking to turn it off? Dieselstation is correct, if you have very large folders with hundreds or thousands of items in them the smooth scrolling can be a PITA, especially when trying to select items. For smaller folders its not so bad.

Chalk me up as another one who hates smooth scrolling. I've always had it disabled everywhere since the first day MS added it (in IE5? I forget). Terrible thing; just another artificial slowdown to hamper productivity and plain everyday use . Argh, I get angry just thinking about it! : )

Hmm maybe I'm confusing "smooth scrolling" with something else... I'm thinking of the scrolling behavior when you have hardware acceleration turned off or run with the standard VGA driver.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

OMG.. i FINALLY found a solution!!! and it was so simple too!

1. Download a copy of TweakUI for Windows XP. You can find it on Microsoft's website at:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c...wertoySetup.exe

2. Use WinRar to looking inside the .exe file and extrac tweakui.exe from within.

3. Copy the extracted tweakui.exe file and save it somewhere on your system

4. Right click on the tweakui.exe file, and select properties.

5. Click on Compatibility tab and run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP. Then click OK to close.

6. Now run it, and ignore the Compatibility Assistant and just hit Run

7. TweakUI should work just like in XP now. Click on Explorer, and disable "Enable Smooth Scrolling"

8. WIN!!! oh.. and most of the other tweakUI functions should work the same in Vista.

• 2 months later...
Wow, I could never have imagined someone asking to be able to turn it off!

I have asked MANY times on this forum. It is very annoying and useless. An OS should be able to respond fast. I hate those kinds of effects. They just slow everything down.