[Guide] HP Notebook Formatting Guide

First of all.. thanks for this great walkthrough! It was a great help! :whistle:

But i've got 2 questions remaining:

1) my on-screen volume display hasn't been installed. I would like to see the green blocks when adjusting the volume and for example using the mute key or other media keys. Does anyone know how I can get this re?nstalled?

2) I did install HPQPDP, QLB and QPW; but HPQPDP doesn't work as intented. I mean it doesn't execute QuickPlay when the laptop is turned off when using the QuickPlay button. It does boot the pc including Windows but it seems to completely ignore the partition which contains the Direct Play information. How can I fix this?

In advance: Thanks!!

I just got a Vista enabled HP computer. In the instruction booklet it tells me how I can rid of the extra partition with a few commands in Vista. I like that. This is the first company that has actually left instructions on how to remove that bloat. I mean I have the factory default disk..I do not need the same thing on the drive.

First of all.. thanks for this great walkthrough! It was a great help! :whistle:

But i've got 2 questions remaining:

1) my on-screen volume display hasn't been installed. I would like to see the green blocks when adjusting the volume and for example using the mute key or other media keys. Does anyone know how I can get this re?nstalled?

2) I did install HPQPDP, QLB and QPW; but HPQPDP doesn't work as intented. I mean it doesn't execute QuickPlay when the laptop is turned off when using the QuickPlay button. It does boot the pc including Windows but it seems to completely ignore the partition which contains the Direct Play information. How can I fix this?

In advance: Thanks!!

What laptop do you have. OS?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice guide here. Currently I have a HP Pavilion DV6000 series notebook. It is a good notebook indeed. However, I am not so happy with the partitioning by HP, that is 100 GB primary and 20 GB recovery partition. I would like to have multiple partition from the 100 GB one, anyone can guide me in doing the repartition?

I had called HP regarding this matter but unfortunately they did not provide support to override the factory settings. I have tried Partition Magic but it showed an error message. Anyone can help?

Thanks

Firstly, I install vista without destruct HPQPDP partition. But when I press it, it direct me to vista and open QuickPlay Program. Then it end up as failure.

However, I have tried install HPQPDP as Scirwode instruct on Windows Vista.

I have format it as Letter X: with FAT32. The installation go just fine, when complete the drive disappear :)

So I turn off my pc and going to try.

When i push the QP button, it boot up WindowsXP << Where are these from anyway? It install XP?

And then it show process dialog "Please Wait.." and install driver (include GeForce) then it resolution becomes better.

Then it restart to Vista again. So, I turn it off and open the HPDP again.

It boot up WindowsXP (Quite long times boot, I can't remember that with XP it use hibernation or not) and then QuickPlay is run as normal. (But it is run in XP QP version not Vista Version)

I am trying to Mod the HPQPDP with new Vista(it nicer).

By the way where can i get HP QuickPlay 2.3 Update ? I don't see and QuickPlay Update Tab.

After installing Vista - When I press Quick Launch button, there are nothing on screen. But tthe function still run.

(I can't find the Quick Launch Control in Vista - No systray)

HP QuickPlay 3.0 For Download

This version is come with HP Notebook that have Vista pre-install. For you who got XP and wish to have new QP then you can grab this.

However, The people who have Vista Pre-install will not have HPQPDP in their SWSETUP and DirectPlay is not function.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3gep1x

(HP QuickPlay 3.0 For Vista 85Mb)

After install you can download patch v.3726 from HP (80MB). I haven't try install patch before QP3.0, maybe it will work without main installed.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z8vgtb

patch

I have a new Vista Preloaded HP Pavilion dv9000t on order. Should be in soon. Not sure which model exactly ?? We'll see.

I'd be happy to get you a copy of my untouched SWSETUP folder, as I'll be making a backup for myself before doing anything else.

I plan on blowing Vista away and installing Linux upon arrival.

kind regards ...

Michael

Very good guide, too bad a couple of moths late :p. When I bought my dv9030 (XPMCE) I wanted to do a clean install, I searched trough various websites and I found a way to "integrate" the OEM stuff and drivers in a XPMCE CD and use the key that is in the bottom of the laptop.

Since I'm going vista very soon my next mission is figure how to obtain the SWSETUP folder from any HP with vista preinstalled. The best option is get a 2GB flash and see if bestbuy has any HP-vista laptop

How's this for an idea?

Will someone with an HP DV9000t with a clean XPME pre-installation, make a trade with me?

Install Driver Genius Professional Edition 2007 and clone all their current drivers into an EXE auto-installer?

http://www.driver-soft.com/ You don't have to buy it, use the trial.

I'll do the same with my Vista pre-installation and we can trade copies !!

Sweet, no?

later,

Michael

Very good guide, too bad a couple of moths late :p. When I bought my dv9030 (XPMCE) I wanted to do a clean install, I searched trough various websites and I found a way to "integrate" the OEM stuff and drivers in a XPMCE CD and use the key that is in the bottom of the laptop.

Since I'm going vista very soon my next mission is figure how to obtain the SWSETUP folder from any HP with vista preinstalled. The best option is get a 2GB flash and see if bestbuy has any HP-vista laptop

does anyone know how to integrate the "oem stuff and drivers" in a xpmce cd/dvd and use the key that is in the bottom of the laptop??

i made a fresh install of xpmce in my dv6179ea laptop and it rejected the key from the bottom of the laptop!

if anyone knows how to do all that can you post it here??

one final question! is it possible to install a clean copy of windows vista in a dv6000 series laptop (like mine) and make it 100% functional with the current drivers from HP??

thanks

great post by the the way!

You really should surf over to http://www.nliteos.com

It's free, would use your XPMCE CD to create a brand new XPMCE with whatever you want it to include.

Burn the new CD, which now includes your serial and whatever driver you wanted to install and use the new XPMCE CD instead of your original to install. Format your PC first, so it's all nice and clean. It really works perfectly. They are now trying to perfect the Vista version of the same program.

Michael

does anyone know how to integrate the "oem stuff and drivers" in a xpmce cd/dvd and use the key that is in the bottom of the laptop??

i made a fresh install of xpmce in my dv6179ea laptop and it rejected the key from the bottom of the laptop!

if anyone knows how to do all that can you post it here??

one final question! is it possible to install a clean copy of windows vista in a dv6000 series laptop (like mine) and make it 100% functional with the current drivers from HP??

thanks

great post by the the way!

i have a dv5237cl and am trying to get my s video, bluetooth, and card readers to work. i cant find working drivers for any of these anywhere, anyone know where they may be?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a dv9000t CTO (with Windows XP MCE2005) and this guide worked very well with getting XP Pro on it.

On a side, i created the HP Recovery DVD's before I decided to go about formatting the machine, I also used them once because of spyware in MCE2005 before going XP Pro.

When it finished recovering everything, I was left with an X: drive in My Computer which I could read. It was really cool...as first I was like WTF?!!! it is stealing ANOTHER GB of HD (including the QuickPlay GB)???? Then after a little more analysis, the HP recovery disks made the X: drive have a proper formatting so Windows could read it. And what I found out is that the 1GB quickplay partition employs Windows XP Embedded, with a legitimate CDKey. It is pretty cool.

First, hi to all!

I'm a web&graphic designer from Portugal (sorry for the eventual bad english).

I'm replying because of the QPW and HPQPDP issue.

1 - I have a dv9285ea with 2 HDD. The question is: may I install Quickplay on second drive instead of partitioning the main drive?

2 - I found a link to someguy website with the source of the Quickplay drivers (QPW + HPQPDP). May I put it here?

To finish:

Scirwode and the rest of Neowin Team, thank you very much for having this useful guide.

I was one of many that bought HP Notebook and after a few hours, just format the all thing looking forward for the XP Pro.

Of course, i've "bumped with my nose on the door". It is my first laptop, first HP, first sata and I was unware with all this issues.

This guide help me pretty much, giving me the path to do things right.

Congratulations,

Luxio

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I have bought my new dv6000 notebook with Vista HOME edition installed on it. I have follwed instructions on this tutorial and another toturial to dual boot vista and xp together. My problem is that the software driveres you have specified doesnt exist in the swsetup folder at all, even i cant run Quick Play setup as it says "Setup only for Windows VISTA". Well leave the Quick Play thing i can live without it but as far as the drivers are concerned on xp i cant even install audio/lan and wireless lan drivers. And on hp site for the same notebook i dont have any drivers available at all for xp. Any resolution available? Please help me.

Best Regards,

Alam Sher

• 3 months later...

ok guys, a bit old topic but I have a huge problem.. which of course i can't solve :(

I bouth 6710s recently with vista basic included but I didn't like it at all, so I decided to change it with XP Pro and made a recovery on 2 dvds.. now comes the problem. I try and try.. and try but can't integrate these drivers in the XP installation. When I download my exe file with the drivers for the SATA I have several models to choose to integrate and I don't know which one exactly.. I tried a few but I still get this message "no hard disk bla bla bla". Will be very greatful if someone can help me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just bought a DV2916us notebook with vista home premium installed and want to install XP on it. I have a question about extracting Softpaq drivers. I downloaded DV2000 CTO drivers, how do I go about extracting the exe file so that I can get the inf file which I can then add to XP Slipstreamed image? Please help!!!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I found this guide AFTER I ordered an HP Pavillion DV5237 CL notebook. While my original intent was to reformat the hard drive and install Windows XP Professional, I realized that I might be better off just creating a new partition on the same hard drive and leaving the Windows XP Media Center installation alone. If I were to leave the Media Center installation in its own partition and create a new partition in which to install Windows XP Professional, will I still have problems installing from the Windows XP CD?