unlocker type app that works with vista?

Does anyone know of an app like unlocker that works with vista?

If not hopefully unlocker will get updated soon to support vista.

Its quite annoying not being able to delete files when Im finished with them just becuase some proccess hasn't released its grip on the files properly.

What is unlocker?

what is google?

jp..

it's a proggie that unlocks files currently being used such that you may delete them 'forcefully'

i've not seen any which work with vista, however.. hopefully someone has..

FYI: You can often delete the files from the command prompt when it won't let you delete them from Explorer.

I usually don't install Unlocker. I just add a shortcut to the Send To folder and have the program files and dlls available on my PC. You can also drag and drop a file to the Unlocker.exe and it will unlock it.

I gotta give this a shot...I have a troublesome folder on my desktop from when I was recovering files from a disk image, the permissions seem to be royally messed up (yes, I've already taken over control and ownership of the files). Whenever I try to delete the folder and files it tells me I need permission for this action, and this is AFTER the UAC prompt has already asked me.

I gotta give this a shot...I have a troublesome folder on my desktop from when I was recovering files from a disk image, the permissions seem to be royally messed up (yes, I've already taken over control and ownership of the files). Whenever I try to delete the folder and files it tells me I need permission for this action, and this is AFTER the UAC prompt has already asked me.

I'm having the same problem with this one single folder on my secondary drive.

Yeah thats what happens to me usally i can't delete the files till after the next reboot even though ive pressed OK on the UAC prompt.

@NinjaGinger which version of unlocker did you use becuause it just gave me some error about not being able to execute some function when i tryed it. (and i tryed it running as adminstrator as well and it still didn't work)

^^ I've restarted several times by now. Still no luck.

I've tried deleting it through the command line, nothing.

Unlocker v1.8.5 does not work right on Vista for me. It will install, but when I try to unlock a file it gives me an error and then doesn't do anything.

Im using 185 but I installed in compatabitlity mode XP with sp2

i tryed that

Unlocker just gives error debug privlages.

tryed running it as adminstrator and as adminstrator in xp compatablity mode and nothing happens when you click send to Unlocker, uac prompt comes up hit allow and nothing.....

im running 64bit vista so that might be why?

Anyone have a solution yet? I now have two damn folders that have quite a few subfolders that I simply can not delete, regardless of how I set the permissions.

^^ ...yeah, but mine is an ugly ass folder on the desktop :pinch: :cry:

for folders on the desktop do this

Desktop clean up wizard

it will move all un deletable stuff to a folder and then delete THAT folder and they both should go

Anyone have a solution yet? I now have two damn folders that have quite a few subfolders that I simply can not delete, regardless of how I set the permissions.

Try opening a command prompt as admin, and deleting the folders that way(using RD /S command)

if that doesn't work do the same thing only before trying to delete them kill explorer.exe

If it still doesn't work, what kind of files are in this folder and where is it?

That didn't work. The folders in question are on my secondary drive and are simply folders from the source code from mozilla.

Unless we find an alternative, try using the built in Administrator account to delete those folder and I'm almost sure it'll work because I was in the same boot :pinch: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=537806 (You can revert the steps to restore the original account statue).