Egypt blogger jailed for insults

CAIRO, Egypt (Reuters) -- An Alexandria court convicted an Egyptian blogger on Thursday for insulting both Islam and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and sentenced him to four years in jail over his writings on the Internet.

Abdel Karim Suleiman, a 22-year-old former law student who has been in custody since November, was the first blogger to stand trial in Egypt for his Internet writings. He was convicted in connection with eight articles he wrote since 2004.

Rights groups and opposition bloggers have watched Suleiman's case closely, and said they feared a conviction could set a legal precedent limiting Internet freedom in Egypt, the Arab world's most populous country.

The London-based rights group Amnesty International said in a statement: "This is yet another slap in the face of freedom of expression in Egypt." The group considers Suleiman to be a prisoner of conscience, jailed solely for peacefully expressing his opinion, the statement added.

The Paris-based press freedom organization Reporters Without Borders said the sentence was "a disgrace" and the United Nations should respond by disqualifying Egypt from hosting an Internet Governance Forum in 2009.

"It is time the international community took a stand on Egypt's repeated violations of press freedom and the rights of Internet users," a statement added.

A fellow blogger who runs the "Rantings of a Sandmonkey" blog (http://sandmonkey.org/) said: "It's a dangerous precedent because it will impact the only free space available now, which is the Internet. The charges were undefined and vague."

"Tell me. What does insulting the president mean? What is the difference between criticizing religion and being in contempt of religion?" he added, asking to remain anonymous.

The Internet has emerged as a major forum for critics of the Egyptian government to express their views in a country where the states runs large newspapers and main television stations.

While Suleiman was the first blogger to go on trial for the content of his writings, other opposition bloggers have been arrested periodically during street protests and then held for weeks or months before being released.

Suleiman, a Muslim and a liberal, has not denied writing the articles but said they merely represented his own views. His lawyers said they planned to appeal the verdict, and one member of the defense team described the trial as unfair.

One of Suleiman's articles said that al-Azhar in Cairo, one of the most prominent seats of Sunni Muslim learning, was promoting extreme ideas. Another article, headlined "The Naked Truth of Islam as I Saw it", accused Muslims of savagery during clashes between Muslims and Christians in Alexandria in 2005.

He has also described some of the companions of the Muslim prophet Mohammad as "terrorists", and has likened Mubarak to dictatorial pharaohs who ruled ancient Egypt.

"I was hoping that he would get a harsher sentence because he presented to the world a bad image of Egypt. There are things that one should not talk about, like religion and politics. He should have got a 10-year sentence," said lawyer Nizar Habib, who attended the trial as a member of the public.

Source.

That's democracy for you.

I'm Egyptian Living at CAIRO now .. what any body call Mubarak adictator get jailed?

I have no fear saying it .

He get jailed for insulting Islam, Muslims and The Prophet PBUH ..

for me I find this 4 years sentence is not enough.

Let me first say that I am an American Muslim. Now let me get straight to it. Your remark is why 90% of the Muslims worldwide are regarded backward savages, and i am not only appalled by your words but angered by your contribution to the popular stereotype. Someone verbally insults you and you want their head, literally. Someone likening the Prophets companions as terrorists is probably a fair comparison. Have you ever heard that one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter? Have you ever read the Koran? Have you ever questioned it or do you blindly follow it? Have you ever studied the history of the Arabian Peninsula, particularly during the time of Mohammad? He and his friends and followers took, by force, Mecca and Medina back from the Pagans. This in essence and ultimately united the Arab tribes in their faith. Yes it took time but that was the goal and it was accomplished. Have you studied other other religions? Do you not see Islams similarities to Judaism and Zoroastrianism? They were competing faiths in the area, surely a merchant traveler such as Mohammad had heard of them. He didn't just decide one day to go out into the desert just because. He was looking for an answer to life's questions both theologically and politically. I can go on and on but Mohammad said in the Koran "pick from amongst you an honest man to be leader." Not pick a man to be dictator. The Arab world blossomed for 200 years after Mohammad until the Arabs decided they couldn't get along. Islam spread and things were alright. The problem is that for us non Arab Muslims, you people think that your the only true Muslims, you feel self pity and loathing and constantly cry about the West, i.e. other peoples beliefs and actions, then you use Islam as a smokescreen to justify the ills of your leaders and your society. Time to grow up and take responsibility for yourselves, your leaders, and your actions good bad or indifferent. Stop Blaming the West, The Jews, The Christians, the USA, and everything else. A man posted his beliefs and thoughts on the internet, you incarcerated him, great place that Egypt, very free, express yourself and go to jail. Its just sickening that your whole ugly society and culture has hijacked the face of Islam, turned against the word of God, and become a blight on the planet. I am so glad I was born and raised in the USA, if i was there i am sure that since its Friday that i would be beheaded after Noon Prayers.

The Koran says : "To kill one person is as if you killed the whole of the world."

No where in there does it say not to think and follow your leaders blindly.

Let me first say that I am an American Muslim. Now let me get straight to it. Your remark is why 90% of the Muslims worldwide are regarded backward savages, and i am not only appalled by your words but angered by your contribution to the popular stereotype. Someone verbally insults you and you want their head, literally. Someone likening the Prophets companions as terrorists is probably a fair comparison. Have you ever heard that one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter? Have you ever read the Koran? Have you ever questioned it or do you blindly follow it? Have you ever studied the history of the Arabian Peninsula, particularly during the time of Mohammad? He and his friends and followers took, by force, Mecca and Medina back from the Pagans. This in essence and ultimately united the Arab tribes in their faith. Yes it took time but that was the goal and it was accomplished. Have you studied other other religions? Do you not see Islams similarities to Judaism and Zoroastrianism? They were competing faiths in the area, surely a merchant traveler such as Mohammad had heard of them. He didn't just decide one day to go out into the desert just because. He was looking for an answer to life's questions both theologically and politically. I can go on and on but Mohammad said in the Koran "pick from amongst you an honest man to be leader." Not pick a man to be dictator. The Arab world blossomed for 200 years after Mohammad until the Arabs decided they couldn't get along. Islam spread and things were alright. The problem is that for us non Arab Muslims, you people think that your the only true Muslims, you feel self pity and loathing and constantly cry about the West, i.e. other peoples beliefs and actions, then you use Islam as a smokescreen to justify the ills of your leaders and your society. Time to grow up and take responsibility for yourselves, your leaders, and your actions good bad or indifferent. Stop Blaming the West, The Jews, The Christians, the USA, and everything else. A man posted his beliefs and thoughts on the internet, you incarcerated him, great place that Egypt, very free, express yourself and go to jail. Its just sickening that your whole ugly society and culture has hijacked the face of Islam, turned against the word of God, and become a blight on the planet. I am so glad I was born and raised in the USA, if i was there i am sure that since its Friday that i would be beheaded after Noon Prayers.

The Koran says : "To kill one person is as if you killed the whole of the world."

This is a great post that needed to be said. (Y)

I fully agree that a lack of understanding on the wests behalf and mindless comments and interpretations by certain sections of Islamic society give the majority a bad name.

Wow, this definitely stands up as one of the best posts so far this year. Fantastic! (minus the lack of paragraphs of course! ;) )

I don't see how punishing a grown up for expressing his opinion about something supposed to better society.

Thanks All. It has become difficult in the emotional sense to be a Muslim and watch this nonsense happen. I just have had it with the moderate Muslims of the world standing quietly by and saying nothing while the right wing nutters do as they wish and use Islam as the excuse or reason. Maybe I am a liberal Muslim, and maybe I am not that Orthodox, but voicing ones opinions and thoughts is by no means grounds for incarceration, its your inalienable right as a human being that transcends anyones rules regardless of how intelligent or ignorant those thoughts are. The world itself is a beautiful thing, the various cultures and beliefs, the spices, but the want of power and control of a few men are ruining it for everyone.

BTW, this isn't the first time they arrest a blogger.

In fact, it happened so many times (not all of which were anti-Islamic; sometimes Islamic radicals actually) that Egypt was blacklisted by Reporters sans Fronti?res. Egypt, in 2004, was added on their list of "enemies of the internet". Way to go Democracy.

By posting this, I am risking getting arrested by the authorities BTW....how sad is that?!

Why not just give him the death penalty and be done with it!

I know this is a sarcastic comment, but I wanna build on that...

And then what? By doing so, the Egyptian authorities are silencing the voice of truth and freedom in the country. I am frankly sickened and appalled by how they are responding to people's opinions.

It is ridiculous how they are abusing their powers like that...Imagine you inadvertently insult a senator's daughter for example in an elitist dinner party, and the next day they arrest you with no charge...and then two months later, they make up a charge to throw in jail. Just thinking about that sickens me.

I am sick of living here. One day, I might speak out and I don't wanna spend four years in prison for expressing my opinion about something. Everyday, we express our opinions...Billions of opinions are made each day verbally or otherwise. Arresting a person for one of these billions of opinions just because it doesn't match yours is outright (removed for my own safety)

Way to go Democracy.

yeah, but if Muslim brotherhood was in power in Egypt now. he'd be beheaded instead of a jail sentence. what choice do you really have ? Its either Mubarak or the Muslim brotherhood right.

Wow.. I have spiritual beliefs myself, but to restrict freedom of speech because you/your society can't handle negative comments about your religion/beliefs is very sad indeed.

yeah, but if Muslim brotherhood was in power in Egypt now. he'd be beheaded instead of a jail sentence. what choice do you really have ? Its either Mubarak or the Muslim brotherhood right.

That is the sad, sad truth.

As others have said. Very amazing post.

You're the perfect example of someone who holds his spiritual beliefs close to him, but also maintains the idea of freedom, respect, and compassion. It's sad that the individuals who hold those spiritual beliefs along with hatred seem to have the loudest voice.

Wow.. I have spiritual beliefs myself, but to restrict freedom of speech because you/your society can't handle negative comments about your religion/beliefs is very sad indeed.

It's not a matter of religion of beliefs. Islam itself is against retards like the Egyptian government. I myself am Egyptian but I was born abroad and I have only been once to Egypt over 10 years ago.

What the world doesn't know is that "Islam" is being exploited by governments to suppress the people's opinions abouts the bad leadership when is fact Islam as a religion is against the oppression of people.

Hey, what better way to tell people not to be angry at the bad leadership than to convince them that religion tells them not to do so?

As a Muslim who has lived among Christians for 25 years, I can say that the *only* difference between Islam and Christianity is the Muslims still regard Islam as a cultural thing more than a religious thing. Did you know that Arab Muslims still consider non-Arab Muslims ( Iranians, etc.. ) as second degree Muslims? I'm not saying that countries in Europe don't think that they are Christian countries but they do separate culture and religion.

Actually, this is the factor that bin Laden used to convince people to join his Al-Qaeda organization. Apart from traditions and folklore, there shouldn't be a big relation between religion and culture. In Lebanon, a Arab country, half the population is Christian and half are Muslims. Once people stop assuming that if I live in Europe then I'm a Christian or if I live in an Arab country then I'm a Muslim, things will get a lot better.

Egypt itself is a dictatorship and when you oppress people under false religious causes, of course you'll see people cursing religion. If fact, when did Islam tell the president to oppress people? That's bull.

It's not a matter of religion of beliefs. Islam itself is against retards like the Egyptian government. I myself am Egyptian but I was born abroad and I have only been once to Egypt over 10 years ago.

What the world doesn't know is that "Islam" is being exploited by governments to suppress the people's opinions abouts the bad leadership when is fact Islam as a religion is against the oppression of people.

Hey, what better way to tell people not to be angry at the bad leadership than to convince them that religion tells them not to do so?

As a Muslim who has lived among Christians for 25 years, I can say that the *only* difference between Islam and Christianity is the Muslims still regard Islam as a cultural thing more than a religious thing. Did you know that Arab Muslims still consider non-Arab Muslims ( Iranians, etc.. ) as second degree Muslims? I'm not saying that countries in Europe don't think that they are Christian countries but they do separate culture and religion.

Actually, this is the factor that bin Laden used to convince people to join his Al-Qaeda organization. Apart from traditions and folklore, there shouldn't be a big relation between religion and culture. In Lebanon, a Arab country, half the population is Christian and half are Muslims. Once people stop assuming that if I live in Europe then I'm a Christian or if I live in an Arab country then I'm a Muslim, things will get a lot better.

Egypt itself is a dictatorship and when you oppress people under false religious causes, of course you'll see people cursing religion. If fact, when did Islam tell the president to oppress people? That's bull.

You don't have to agree, you see.

But do not draw limits on freedom of speech, because line after line you draw you compromise the quintessential liberty that is defined by that freedom. In fact, that is a problem protestant liberals faced at first; liberal ideology postulated complete freedom. But you can't let people run amok! That would be anarchy. So they started the process of drawing the limits which proved to be the most problematic and controversial process they had to fact since their split from the Roman Catholic Church.

Manners have nothing to do with freedom of expression. You can criticize someone for insulting you but exercising punishment is just pushing it too much. You claim you're an Egyptian so of course you heard of Talaat el Sadat. What do you thin? Fair trial?!