WD Raptor X vs Seagate 7200.10

Hi, so i'm loving RAID0 at the moment with my 7200.9 drives but i need a bit more of a buzz tbh!

What would be better buying (this is for RAID0)

2 x Western Digital Raptor X 150GB

or

2 x Seagate Baracuda 7200.10 250GB

Sorry if this has been posted before, i did search but couldnt see anything. what would you get? and why?

Thanks

I just bought myself a new computer to build and I'll be posting the specs very soon (the rest of the parts come in tomorrow). I bought two the Seagates, 250GB and plan to run them in RAID1 (If memory serves me correctly). They're also perpendicular recording drives, which are supposed to be better. I'd go with the 7200.10 :)

Ok.. i'm not sure why people bother with RAID1 to be honest. But meh

I'm looking for reviews but cant find anything that says WOW, this ones better then that one or anything.

Anyone else wana share some info

Well the 7200.10 is faster... faster than the 7200.9 that is. Raptors are still the fastest consumer hard drives you can buy, even if they don't use perpendicular storage. I don't see why anyone uses RAID 1 either. Businesses and people who greatly value their data tend to use RAID 5 (3+ drives), but buying one drive just to mirror another really isn't worth it.

If you're after speed and reliability, The raptor is a HANDS DOWN winner.

If you're after space for your stuff, then the Seagates will do fine. Although i'd go the WD 500 RE2's over the Seagates (and I did - in Raid 1)

Ok... well.. suposedly, the WD without RAID can beat two 7200.9 drives in RAID0. So it looks like WD is coming back into the lead. Maybe I should just buy one single drive and see how that goes. anyone else got anything to say about it?

Oh, and this is for RAW speed btw I dont need storage space. i've got 750GB for that lol

In my experience, Seagate drives are more durable and last longer but I've never bought a Raptor so I wouldn't know if theyre as bad as the other WD drives I've had

Yeah i once had a WD it was really old and only ran at 5000RPM or so. it was horrible. i replaced it with a maxtor and never looked back.. until now

There are trade-offs. You have to decide which is more valuable to you - speed or space.

If you go with the raptor, you get the fastest, but limited space.

Or you can get two drives in raid-0 which will be a little slower than the raptor, but a lot more space.

If you already have a lot of space, or you don't need a lot...then I'd just go for a single raptor.

I personally have 2x320gb 7200.10's in raid-0 and it's fast enough for my needs.

OK, thanks everyone. like i said, SPEED is what i want here. most of all would be to speed up FFXI which as about 60,000 files and when it has to check them all OUCH! lol.

Looks like the Raptor wins for the moment, anyone else have anything to say?

Depends on if you want ultra quiet drives or not. The seagate is very quiet. I've not used a WD but I've read that it can be pretty loud at times. Have a look around on the internet for some benchmarks displaying the noise ratings.

Also when I bought my 7200.10 I read somewhere that its pretty much the same speed as the raptor, reguardless of RPM.

To sum it up quickly

(I currently run 2x Raptor 150s in RAID0, a WD 500gb RE, 1x Seagate 300gb 7200.9, 1x Maxtor DM10 300gb)

Aaand. Here goes.

The Raptors are *FAST* really fast, faster than any of the others get close to (even when not in raid).

Downside is that they're loud - under heavy load or defragging it sounds like there's a toad orgy in my machine.

I would honestly say that using any large drives in RAID0 in a desktop is dumb, yeah, it's nice to have the speed, but the fact you basically (in the case of 150gb Raptors) have 300gb of unreliable storage makes it massively non-cost effective (~?280 for 300gb of unreliable storage)

Yes, I know that Raptors alone are very reliable etc, but in RAID0 there's many other risks which can destroy your data even without a drive failure.

Personally, if I was making the choice you are, I'd spend the money on one raptor, a large storage drive and any other upgrades you want (or an adult mag for while you're waiting for maps to load)

/may not make sense due to vodka.

I just bought myself a new computer to build and I'll be posting the specs very soon (the rest of the parts come in tomorrow). I bought two the Seagates, 250GB and plan to run them in RAID1 (If memory serves me correctly). They're also perpendicular recording drives, which are supposed to be better. I'd go with the 7200.10 :)

Raid1 is almost useless, and its slower. You would be (IMHO) better off running them in Raid0 or just run them seperate, and use Acronis and schedule dailiy incramental backups on the second drive, and you can use the extra for storage. Remember in Raid0; if you loose 1 drive you loose ALL your data on both.

Yeah noise isnt a issue here. I've got a big surround system and like 9 fans just to keep my system cool anyway. lol.

I have 7 fans and my Raptor is still noisy. But, of course I have sent the extra $ to aquire very quiet fans.

Ok then, it's decided, one Raptor X for me! :) if i dont like it i'll just sell it or return it as faulty :p. I also plan to get another 2GB of RAM soon. 2GB just isnt cutting it on this machine anymore :(

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Buy it from Newegg and if you find it unacceptable, just call them and tell them its defective and you want a full refund. It has to be defective before they will refund your money. It is extreamly noisy compaired to the normal IDE drives, or SATA. I ONLY bought it becuse I turn my systems over every 4-5 years and they have a 5 year warentee. If I turned my system over 3 years or less I would definitly go for a 'WD5000KS'.

Buy it from Newegg and if you find it unacceptable, just call them and tell them its defective and you want a full refund. It has to be defective before they will refund your money. It is extreamly noisy compaired to the normal IDE drives, or SATA. I ONLY bought it becuse I turn my systems over every 4-5 years and they have a 5 year warentee. If I turned my system over 3 years or less I would definitly go for a 'WD5000KS'.

Isn't that fraud? Saying a drive is defective when it is actually not just so you can not have to pay a restocking fee?

People like are you are the reason we have to pay restocking fees in the first place.

Yeah, if i dont like it i'll just sell it on eBay. i cant order from newegg because i'm in the UK. i've found a decent priced drive on Overclockers.co.uk i'll be ordering that after i can sell my two current 160GB 7200,9 drives