Judge reverses $1.5 Billion decision against Microsoft

Recall just last week when Microsoft was ordered to shell out $1.5 Billion to Alcatel-Lucent for including mp3 technology in Windows? Well, after heading back to the courts, a Judge has completely dismissed all the claims against Microsoft. This means that, barring a successful appeal, Alctatel won't be receiving a dime.

This could mean good things for the mp3 format, which seems to be contested every few years at one point or another. Alcatel, of course, plans to appeal:

Alcatel-Lucent plans to appeal the ruling and is "comfortable with our chances of success as the case makes its way through the legal system," spokeswoman Joan Campion said Friday.

The Judge looking over the case felt that no patents were violated, in contrast to an earlier decision that led to the fine in the first place.

Go MP3. In this case, I completely support MS. I read about the whole thing a bit and I think that they paid right for MP3. Alcatel-Lucent win was a nasty sign that everyone using MP3 tech. will get sued. Thanks God there's still chance of this not happening.

It is a good thing; but i couldn't help wanting Microsoft get punched in their faces in the same way they do to other companies.

Hmmm you say MS actually sues other companies for software patents? And takes their 1.5 Billion $?

Really???