Switching back... to XP from Vista

I have had Ultimate for 4 weeks now.

1) I have had to do 2 full restores due to corrupted discs, which never happened in XP.

2) Drivers are garbage. This is not the fault of MS, but why should I live with it?

3) I can no longer install any update or turn off any Vista components due to errors which Vista tech support cannot explain (after FOUR HOURS on the phone).

4) Where the heck is a gaming mode? Why is the system still trying to cache data to disc when a game is running? If Vista is smart enough to put the game in the games folder it should be smart enough to turn off Superfetch when a game runs.

Those are just some of my issues which have taken more of my time in 4 weeks than XP took in 2 years. I don't want get into the "com surrogate" research and all of the page file issues I have had, lets just say Vista and I are splitting up for a while. Maybe one day I will be back, but I don't see it being this year.

There are going to be teething problems for a while. Although I have not had the problems you do there are some annoyances which im just living with for now.

There are going to be teething problems for a while. Although I have not had the problems you do there are some annoyances which im just living with for now.

I understand. I went through the Win 3.11 - 95, NT to Win2k and the OS9 - OSX upgrades and nothing has been like this. Maybe I have become spoiled in the past few years and have forgotten what everyday computing was like back in those days.

One other thing about Vista: The appearance functions have 0 usability. It makes no sense whatsoever. Why are appearance and themes separate.. isn't a theme an appearance? Why does it take so many screens to do so little? Can't almost all of those functions be consolidated to a couple of clicks?

I'm almost in agreement with you. I've been using Ultimate since the day it hit shelves, and I can honestly say I'm close to switching back to XP. I've had some weird issues of myself lately, not too much unlike your dabbles with hard-drive thrashing during games by Superfetch.

It's simple, really:

Vista is not ready for release. That's it.

Really ? i can't switch back to XP from Vista.. i just can't, XP is much slower, and sucks at closing non-responding programs.

Vista is just better, with the right drivers, it has the ability to wipe the floor with XP imho.

v.v No nforce2 support..

I just converted from Vista to Ubuntu/XP dual boot config. Vista has alot of room to improve before it can become a 'standard' desktop OS.

v.v No nforce2 support..

I just converted from Vista to Ubuntu/XP dual boot config. Vista has alot of room to improve before it can become a 'standard' desktop OS.

Well, I finished mine last night. I did the same thing. I put my 3 160's RAID0 XP and my last 160 strictly for Ubuntu. I has taken about 4 hours to get everything that I need installed. I will work over the next day or two getting my games and things re-installed.

Well, I finished mine last night. I did the same thing. I put my 3 160's RAID0 XP and my last 160 strictly for Ubuntu. I has taken about 4 hours to get everything that I need installed. I will work over the next day or two getting my games and things re-installed.

LP

The reinstallation of everything is always the worst for me. I tend to grow into my OS and customize it and get everything situated like its an extension of myself. Ive gotten XP situated and set up, but I got to set Ubuntu with all my essential Linux stuff.

<--- Loaded XP back on my machine last night. Vista just wasn't doing enough for me to have the fps of my game effected. Mainly Nvidia drivers but i'll be back when they are working reasonably well with SLI

Really ? i can't switch back to XP from Vista.. i just can't, XP is much slower, and sucks at closing non-responding programs.

Vista is just better, with the right drivers, it has the ability to wipe the floor with XP imho.

* Wonders if I'm trusting someone who adds an space before x points and doesn't know all the I's should be uppercase *

No products of Microsoft are 90% (I'd say 100% but Microsoft differs from Apple), so we should?know?how?to?tweak?them.?The?problem?is:?even?tweaked?Windows?Vista?is?much?slower,?spends?much?more?RAM?and?have?a?lot?of?not?working?progs.?I'd?rather?buy?a?Mac.

LP

The reinstallation of everything is always the worst for me. I tend to grow into my OS and customize it and get everything situated like its an extension of myself. Ive gotten XP situated and set up, but I got to set Ubuntu with all my essential Linux stuff.

Reinstall = Brutal.

I planned, and had all of my CDs laid out and ready to go. I made sure I pulled the serials for each. I had an external drive with over 100GB of files that had to be unzipped back over to the new XP machine. I let that go overnight after doing all the application installs. I hated that I had to do it, but my wife supported it and my three year old son even seemed happy that I "fixed his computer" (made the desktop look like it did before Vista).

I did the same. Framerates for even basic games are terrible on Vista, from my own experiences anyways, not to mention XP just feels lighter to me, even on a computer where it shouldn't matter.

I beta tested Vista, I have to say, it was not near ready for release. MS should have worked on a decent service pack three in the mean time, one that really would give XP a kick. With the extra time, Vista could have been better worked out. I had multiple problems during the beta testing. Fortunately I got a free Vista Ulitmate. Fortunately also, I multi boot my desktop, so I have it installed but rarely use it unless I'm intrested in updating drivers. Vista will be awesome once it is near service pack one. IN the meantime, I stick with my XP and Server2k3.

Well i personally am extremely happy with vista, i use it on a daily basis for games and everything and think its so much better than XP

Well i personally am extremely happy with vista, i use it on a daily basis for games and everything and think its so much better than XP

Me too..I am using Intel core duo 2.6 ghz, 1GB ram, 256 MB pci-e graphics card (nvidia 7300)...

Vista (home premium) works pretty well..

I run games like need for speed -most wanted, flight simulator x, age of empires 3 etc..everything is fine..

Other stuffs include Vs.net 2005, oracle & iriver iclix, my wireless modem, MS wireless desktop keyboard & mouse, In built HD-Sound card, DVD Writer , CA Antivirus, office 2007, HP 1020 laser printer.

Everything works fine to me..maybe you are facing some device driver problems!

Me too..I am using Intel core duo 2.6 ghz, 1GB ram, 256 MB pci-e graphics card (nvidia 7300)...

Vista (home premium) works pretty well..

I run games like need for speed -most wanted, flight simulator x, age of empires 3 etc..everything is fine..

Other stuffs include Vs.net 2005, oracle & iriver iclix, my wireless modem, MS wireless desktop keyboard & mouse, In built HD-Sound card, DVD Writer , CA Antivirus, office 2007, HP 1020 laser printer.

Everything works fine to me..maybe you are facing some device driver problems!

It may be driver issues. It may be the things that I demand of my PC. It could be that Vista has not been tested in enough power user environments. It could be that all of those people allowed to beta test did a poor job identifying issues. It could be that MS did not choose a poll of testers with diverse enough systems and software packages. Either way, as a consumer, I should not suffer through those issues.

It's simple, really:

Vista is not ready for release. That's it.

I sent off for my rebate about 7 weeks ago should receive within another 12 weeks

i will get `~el` home~` primo

* Wonders if I'm trusting someone who adds an space before x points and doesn't know all the I's should be uppercase *

No products of Microsoft are 90% (I'd say 100% but Microsoft differs from Apple), so we should know how to tweak them. The problem is: even tweaked Windows Vista is much slower, spends much more RAM and have a lot of not working progs. I'd rather buy a Mac.

it uses RAM to cache parts of programs you use a lot.. therefore programs open much faster, and believe me they do... i hate people who decide to base someones response on there writing ability.

if i'm writing a report of course my writing will be better.

Not putting capital i's is due to lazyness, with Word usually converting all small i's to big I's ;)

anyway, Vista is a million times better than XP, people will start seeing that with better drivers..

Why must everyone that dose something make a thread about it. Examples

1. I am switching back to XP he ho la da da. WTF?????

2. I used Vista for 30 days back to XP. Sounds like someone downloaded via bittorrent and can not get a working crack.

3. I have Vista Ultimate and Business and I feel riped off. OK if that is not the most dumbest thing I don't know what is.

So yea I think I am going to switch to Win Amp cause WMP sucks and I will make a thread about it.

Why must everyone that dose something make a thread about it. Examples

1. I am switching back to XP he ho la da da. WTF?????

2. I used Vista for 30 days back to XP. Sounds like someone downloaded via bittorrent and can not get a working crack.

3. I have Vista Ultimate and Business and I feel riped off. OK if that is not the most dumbest thing I don't know what is.

So yea I think I am going to switch to Win Amp cause WMP sucks and I will make a thread about it.

Please read the thread, from the beginning.

The original post:

I have had Ultimate for 4 weeks now.

1) I have had to do 2 full restores due to corrupted discs, which never happened in XP.

2) Drivers are garbage. This is not the fault of MS, but why should I live with it?

3) I can no longer install any update or turn off any Vista components due to errors which Vista tech support cannot explain (after FOUR HOURS on the phone).

4) Where the heck is a gaming mode? Why is the system still trying to cache data to disc when a game is running? If Vista is smart enough to put the game in the games folder it should be smart enough to turn off Superfetch when a game runs.

Those are just some of my issues which have taken more of my time in 4 weeks than XP took in 2 years. I don't want get into the "com surrogate" research and all of the page file issues I have had, lets just say Vista and I are splitting up for a while. Maybe one day I will be back, but I don't see it being this year.

Now for the Switchers forum guidelines:

Guidelines & Pointers for this forum

These days it's more common for end-users to switch to another platform, Neowin is here to assist users who have taken the plunge and switched from one main vendor to another.

The basic user function difference between Apple, Windows and a Linux distribution can be daunting, but with the help of fellow members who are already familiar with their choice of platform we hope that your transition to another platform will be a less rocky one.

When using these forums it's important that topics are started in the correct section and that your question is formatted in a manner that fellow members can easily answer without having to request additional information. This section can be used as a means to request advice on which platform is right for you.

Everything seems to be in order. The user has some concerns which he feels are legitimate, and he has outlined his experiences for the benefit of others. He also has a couple of questions he would like answered. He has issues re switching, and he has brought his comments/concerns to the correct forum. No problem here . . .

Now, if you were referring to people who simply start a thread about their whims and other unimportant details in general, and you were not referring to the above user in particular, then I'd tend to agree with you. Although the line between unimportant vs. legitimate and/or of interest to others is often a blurry one at best.

Edited by LTD

No products of Microsoft are 90% (I'd say 100% but Microsoft differs from Apple), so we should?know?how?to?tweak?them.?The?problem?is:?even?tweaked?Windows?Vista?is?much?slower,?spends?much?more?RAM?and?have?a?lot?of?not?working?progs.?I'd?rather?buy?a?Mac.

Ya because not capitalizing an I is less of a trustworthy opinion then someone saying they are going to mac.

No products of Microsoft are 90% (I'd say 100% but Microsoft differs from Apple), so we should know how to tweak them. The problem is: even tweaked Windows Vista is much slower, spends much more RAM and have a lot of not working progs. I'd rather buy a Mac.

yea apple products are great eh?

just look at my iPod shuffle and iPod video ... they both broke weeks after the warranty was over... i'm.. opps "I'm" so happy NOT!

anyway like i have said before Vista its good, has its issues but they will be fixed. Its just like when XP came out... everyone said it sucked and now everyone loves it.

"Now, if you were referring to people who simply start a thread about their whims and other unimportant details in general, and you were not referring to the above user in particular, then I'd tend to agree with you. Although the line between unimportant vs. legitimate and/or of interest to others is often a blurry one at best."

You are right and have a point there. Sorry about that I just get tired of people saying switching back to this and that. I think if it works then stay with it.