svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetworkRestricted)

I have Vista 32bit, fully updated.

Every 2 hours or so, I have a serious performance hit due to a process called svchost.exe (LocalSystemNetworkRestricted).

Look at the attached picture for a clue. It scans files on the harddrive. Anyone have an idea how to keep this from happening? Or whats causing it?

Googling for it showed no relevant results :(

Thx!

LocalSystemNetworkRestricted.jpg

Screenshot is in Dutch, but Schijf = Disk, Lezen = read and Schrijven = Write ;)

Edited by Wheazel

• 3 weeks later...

svchost is a process that is part and parcel of the services running on your PC (i.e. things listed under services.msc).

Are you "scheduled" to run something every 2 hours (such as indexing or defragmentation)?

When you have the problem, try pulling up the Services window (to quickly get there, try typing services.msc in the Start Menu search box and then hit Enter). When you're there, and you have this access going on, try stopping the SuperFetch service. If that seemed to change the drive accesses, that was it. Otherwise it could be search indexing, but my bets are on SuperFetch for now -- another hint of that is that it's accesing your disk at "Achtergrond" priority = "Background" priority.

SuperFetch on Wikipedia and Microsoft:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperFetch#SuperFetch

- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...superfetch.mspx

It tries to analyze your usage patterns and preload files into RAM that you're "likely" (as deemed by Vista) to use soon. It's a new service in Vista that can safely be kept disabled if you wish, although that may impact performance.

Edited by Jugalator

cmd

tasklist /svc /FI "PID eq ####" [Enter] where #### is the PID of the instance of svchost.exe that is causing all of the activity. quotes are necessary, leave them. the culprit will be one of the services returned by this command.

cmd

net stop servicename [Enter] where servicename is one of the names listed in the output of the command above.

k22, Vista has this built into the task manager now.

In the task manager, you can right click any svchost.exe file, and choose "Go To Services", to see exactly what services are being hosted in it.

From the services tab, you can stop any service you want. Just right click it and choose stop.

• 1 year later...

i have the same problem with you, and i've realized that my new program "perfect disk" led to it.

it's a disk defragmentation program.

do you have a similar program with me?

i'm a Chinese .i'm sorry about my poor English.

superfectch should not be causing the problem and neither should the indexing,how much memory do you have?also what are your system specs?it could be a driver problem or malware.i bet it is a driver problem.turning superfetch off is silly as it helps your system stay responsive and indexing and superfetch run at low i/o.

• 2 years later...

hi !

i have this problem too and i am under windows 7 x64 pro.

now, this process consums 158Mo while i have only one application 's running : seamonkey my browser.

here's a screen cap : http://www.michael-remy.fr/forum/local_system_network_restricted.jpg

even i have a huge cpu (i7-975), i feel a low period now....

very strange....

anyone know what it is really ?