5.1 Sound Problem in Vista :(

Hi,

Could do with some help with this problem, driving me nuts.

This exists both with my Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS and my Realtek Onboard High Def Sound (ALC888) under Vista Ultimate, with the latest drivers.

However, the problem does not occur under XP SP2 with either the Creative or Realtek Audio using the latest XP drivers.

Let me explain,

My speakers are the Logitech Z-5400 5.1 Speakers. I have them connected using the "Direct" connection. This is where I have 3 minijack plugs. A green/yellow/black that I connect to the appropriate colours on the back of the soundcard.

After doing this, and setting both Windows and the Sound Software (Either Creative AudioConsole or the RealTek HD Audio Manager) to work in 5.1 Surround Sound.

The problem is that I can't get any sound whatsoever from the front-right speaker.

The rest and the sub work fine.

Speakers are all plugged in correctly. Under Windows XP, it works great using either the Creative Card or the RealTek HD, all plugged in the same I get sound from all speakers --- but not from the Front Right in Vista.

Would be most grateful of any help, as I'm now basically ready to switch over to Vista - but have just hit this irritating problem.

Thanks in advance :)

Have you tried changing the jack configuration? I couldn't get my rear speakers to work as rear in Vista but got them to work as side speakers. I'm using the Realtek onboard HD (ALC882).

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I tried this too. Plugging the green cable into the grey port. Still no luck :(

I'm thinking I might have to try an optical cable.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I tried this too. Plugging the green cable into the grey port. Still no luck :(

I'm thinking I might have to try an optical cable.

Did you go to Sound settings in the Control Panel and changed it to 6 speakers?

While we are talking about speakers, I have pretty much the same set-up as you. I'm using an SB Audigy SE card. I can't no matter what I do get my 5.1 to work. Just the front two. I have set-up everything to work in 5.1 and even when I do the test on the speakers it works (the little ding comes out the rear speakers) but when running music/games/applications sound only comes out the front 2.

And advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

While we are talking about speakers, I have pretty much the same set-up as you. I'm using an SB Audigy SE card. I can't no matter what I do get my 5.1 to work. Just the front two. I have set-up everything to work in 5.1 and even when I do the test on the speakers it works (the little ding comes out the rear speakers) but when running music/games/applications sound only comes out the front 2.

And advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Exactly happens to me but i'm using on board sound card.

Exactly happens to me but i'm using on board sound card.

After a little looking around on the Creative forum it looks like its the the **** drivers that are out at the moment that aren't letting us use our 5.1. Looks like we will just have to wait for them to bring out some real drivers to replace these sorry excuse drivers we are using at the moment.

Hey guys,

i don't know if this is exactly the same problem that I was having, but perhaps I can help.. I was struggling to get my rear speakers working at all in vista.. pain in the ass.. I eventually figured the problem out yesterday. I am using the Realtek HD audio on my mobo (EVGA 680i) along with Creative Inspire 6.1 speakers.. here goes:

1) Open Control Panel

2) Go to Realtek HD Audio Manager (or similar if you don't have it)

3) Tick the box saying 'Speaker Fill'... this forces stereo sound to be spread through all the speaker ports!!

Screenie attatched..

Hope that helps!

post-37429-1174431768_thumb.jpg

After a little looking around on the Creative forum it looks like its the the **** drivers that are out at the moment that aren't letting us use our 5.1. Looks like we will just have to wait for them to bring out some real drivers to replace these sorry excuse drivers we are using at the moment.

I have the creative card and I can use 5.1 fine. Did you install the creative software or something or are you using the logitech quickcam? There is no reason why 5.1 sound is not working.

@Stevieboy84,

Many thanks! After ticking speaker fill everythings great again :) I now have 5.1 using the 3 minijack connectors.

However as it turns out, I actually purchased an optical cable to use instead to try to fix it, which has done - as there's no speaker fill option on the optical settings anyway but it's great to know that I could still get 5.1 sound in the event the cable breaks.

Cheers :)

• 6 months later...

I am using Vista Business and can't seem to get 5.1 sound out of my on-board sound card, the SoundMAX application that comes with the drivers is bogus... After I install it i have absolutly no sound at all. When I remove the drivers i get sound on front left, center, front right speakers.

When I play a mp3 in winamp there is sound on all 6 speakers, that's because stereo... Mainly 5.1 is not working for me...

Should I wait and clean my gun or clean my gun and then pay a visit to the driver/software developers for my mainboard?

Ohh gosh! I just finished installing Windows XP...

After few blue screens and some RAID errors I gave up on VISTA. The mainly errors were about the sound card, and some about my RAID drivers... Anyway.. 5.1 works in XP :p Good luck to you others...

• 1 year later...