Java 6 Update 1

Java Runtime Environment (JRE) enables your computer to run applications and applets that use Java technology. Java technology allows you to work and play in a secure computing environment. Java technology is in cell phones, automobiles, the Mars Rover, and many other places. By downloading it to your computer, you will be able to experience the power of Java software.

Download

Changelog

Is this really a final build? I know you supplied the download link but it hasn't appeared on their main java download site section yet.

If you're referring to the www.java.com download link, then I learnt to ignore that ages ago. I dont think it EVER gets updated. In fact, a few months ago it was 2 versions behind the latest :/

If you're referring to the www.java.com download link, then I learnt to ignore that ages ago. I dont think it EVER gets updated. In fact, a few months ago it was 2 versions behind the latest :/

Wow, didn't know that :| Thanks.

Actually, the thread title is wrong. It should read "Java 6 Update 1"

The actual version number is 1.6.0_01 so technically the title is correct. I don't know why they call it two different things, seems confusing. I guess Java 6 is the consumer friendly marketing name or something.

I checked and I still have 1.5.0 installed, and it insists that it is the latest version. What's the deal?

Edited by TRC

For those of you running Ubuntu or Debian GNU/Linux the make-jpkg package does not support building .deb from jre 1.6. There are various methods floating around on the internet to generate a .deb but I have not found one that works the way it should so the best way is to just install it manually by doing the following:

- Download the self-extracting .bin for Linux from the link from the OP and perform the following actions:

# chmod +x jdk-6u1-linux-i586.bin
# ./jdk-6-linux-i586.bin
# mv ./jdk1.6.0_01 /opt
# update-alternatives --install java java /opt/jdk1.6.0_01/bin/java 99

- The shell variables must be set in either /etc/bash.bashrc or ~/.bashrc

export JDK_HOME=/opt/jdk1.6.0_01
export CLASSPATH=$JDK_HOME
export CLASSPATH=.:$CLASSPATH
export PATH="$PATH:${JDK_HOME}/bin:${JDK_HOME}/jre/bin"

That should be all. Logout and re-login for changes to take effect and run in a terminal java -version to make sure everything worked. To enable the java plugin in Firefox go to ~/.mozilla/plugins and run the command ln -s /opt/jdk1.6.0_01/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so and you're good to go.