Lenovo Electronics tops eco-friendly ranking

Chinese computer maker Lenovo has topped a ranking of the world's most eco-friendly electronics firms.

Compiled by Greenpeace, the quarterly report ranks firms by how green their production processes are and what they do to recycle hardware they sell.

In previous reports Lenovo ranked low for eco-friendliness but in 2007 it scooped the top spot over Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Dell, and Samsung.

Apple came last of the 14 firms Greenpeace profiled in the report.

The study, which was first compiled in 2006, looks at how big electronics firms make their hardware to see if they use toxic chemicals in the production process and scrutinises what they do to recycle goods when customers have stopped using them.

The campaigning group said that overall scores for the hi-tech firms it profiled had improved but it shied away from describing any hardware maker as "green".

Despite this, Iza Kruszewska, Greenpeace international toxics campaigner, said the industry had made some positive steps in the last 12 months with firms starting to act rather than just issue statements of intent. Of the 14 companies profiled, said Ms Kruszewska, nine now score more than five out of 10.

Top of the table Lenovo, which bought IBM's consumer electronics division in 2005, got 8 out of 10 for offering takeback services in all the nations where its products are sold. This means it will recycle any broken or obsolete own-brand product returned to it.

"Given the growing mountains of e-waste in China - both imported and domestically generated - it is heartening to see a Chinese company taking the lead, and assuming responsibility at least for its own branded waste," said Ms Kruszewska.

However, Lenovo lost marks for still using some of the most toxic substances to make its products.

Other firms in the top five, such as Sony-Ericsson, have already eliminated toxic chemicals including brominated fire retardants, polyvinyl chloride, beryllium and phthalates from their factories.

Greenpeace criticised Apple for not setting a deadline for eliminating some toxic chemicals from its production processes. Apple scored 2.7 out of 10 on Greenpeace's ranking.

In response, Apple said in a statement: "We disagree with Greenpeace's rating and the criteria."

The company added: "Apple has a strong environmental track record and has led the industry in restricting and banning toxic substances such as mercury, cadmium and hexavalent chromium, as well as many brominated flame retardants."

source

(Y)

In response, Apple said in a statement: "We disagree with Greenpeace's rating and the criteria."

Of course they disagree after scoring such a low score. I am sure Greenpeace isn't funded by Microsoft to lie about these things to make Apple look bad.

Apple response is classic, I'm sure Greenpeace's counter will be "We disagree with Apple"

Others should follow in Lenovo's footsteps.

A mature response from Apple.

Surely a much more mature approach than what Greenpeace does around the world - chaining to walls, trees, harassing local populace, spreading outright lies (FUD) and in general having absolutely zero clue - of anything.

If I ever see a Greenpeace "activist" touch any of the trees that I own?or?tresspass?on?my?lands, I won't hesitate to use violence.

And that makes you such a wonderful person in comparison.

Exactly what I was thinking. He is talking about Greenpeace and their violent approach and yet he is going to use violence himself if he sees one of them around his area.

What a great thing to do (Y)