WRT54GL

Got a new linksys WRT54GL router yesterday and im having trouble accessing the internet on it. I also got a linksys modem which i can access the internet fine on. The modem is using PPPoA and is set up fine however I go to set up the router and it only lets me use PPPoE and some others I dont know about. Which setting should I use so i can access the internet through my router? Im really struggling setting it up. Got DD-WRT installed on it too. Help! :(

Um you have a "modem" that is PPPoA? -- that is not a modem, that is a GATEWAY device and is doing NAT already -- I would bet.

Please give the model number of your "modem"

I would bet all you need to do is use your wrt54gl as a accesspoint.. since you already have a router ;)

Um you have a "modem" that is PPPoA? -- that is not a modem, that is a GATEWAY device and is doing NAT already -- I would bet.

Please give the model number of your "modem"

I would bet all you need to do is use your wrt54gl as a accesspoint.. since you already have a router ;)

My modem allows me to select E or A. Does that mean its not really a modem?

As I thought - that device is alot more than just a dumb modem.. its a NAT router with only 1 ethernet interface.

http://www.isomicro.co.uk/downloads/am200_ug.pdf

It does NAT, unless you turn on bridge mode only... If you need PPPoA to access your ISP, an your router does not support this then just use it as an accesspoint.. Which all your really needed in the first place - since the am200 is a gateway device it has both modem and router functions in one device, it does nat, it provides dhcp, it does url filtering, etc.. etc.. Have you even looked over the manual?? See my link above.

So use the am to control access in an out of your network, provide the nat, etc.. And use your linksys as just the accesspoint you needed..

Turn off its dchp, connect your am200 to one of the lan ports of the linksys..

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/wireless-...cess-point.html

edit: your other option is to just double nat.. Ie put your linksys wrt54g in dhcp mode for its wan interface... It will then get a 192.168.x.x address from your am200.. I would suggest change one of them to be say 192.168.2.0/24 -- put 192.168.1.0/24 on both sides of the wrt54g is asking for nothing but trouble!

I am not a big fan of double natting at all.. But if you want too, you can put the IP address your linksys wan interface gets -- say 192.168.1.100 from your am200 into the DMZ of your am200..

Then control your access in an out of your network using the wrt54gl..

If you were going to go this route, I would suggest you make the wan interface of your wrt54g static, say 192.168.1.2 and change its lan interface to be the 192.168.2.0/24 network.

Edited by BudMan

So how would I go about doing that? Hope im not being rude in asking. Just I dont understand it very well and need it set up ASAP as i told my sister it would've been done last wednesday :-/

Please

edit: Am I making the modem or the router the DHCP server?

Thanks. I can now access the internet through my router. However I now have another problem :(

The other computer (accessing wirelessly) can connect fine when i don't set up any security on my router but when i try to apply any securty (WPA pre-shared key or WPA2 pre-shared key) the wirless card cannot access the internet but can still connect to the router.

Help? I'd rather not disable security..

Hmmmm, so your using your "router" as an accesspoint now.. What IP did change its LAN interface too?

modem (am200 - ip 192.168.1.1) --- (lan port wrt) [Router as (inteface IP 192.168.1.1) Accesspoint] (lan port to PC) --- (192.168.1.100) PC

~~~ wireless PC (192.168.1.101)

If that is the case -- how exactly do you think that will work???

Did I not go over changing the IP address of your wrt??? Pretty sure I went into great detail about it! ;)

And I know the url I linked to clearly states to change the IP of your router your going to use as an accesspoint..

--

5) Set the LAN IP address of the wireless router so it is compatible with your existing network. For example, if your current network uses the 192.168.1.x network, then make sure the wireless router is on the same network. Different companies use different LAN numbers such as 192.168.0.x or 192.168.2.x. We need the wireless router to function on the existing network. Give it an IP address that is easy to remember. For example, if your current wired router is 192.168.0.1, then you can give the wireless router 192.168.0.2 which is only one number away from the wired router number (which you probably already know by heart).

--

but you say it works without security?? You sure that without security your not connected to the wireless network nextdoor?? See it all the TIME!!

Change the SSID of your router to something you know! Yes and broadcast it! Not doing so only makes it harder for you, and has NOTHING to do with security at all! Please post the details of how you have this setup now -- giving IP address of your devices and which is dhcp server, etc.

edit: Hmmm ok, have not tested this -- but yes since it is a bridge between the wireless interface an the wire.. Depending on what MAC address the pc that is wired cached for the 192.168.1.1 address, it would be quite possible for a machine that is wired to the router to talk to the am200 device.. while the wireless client would not..

Please post what you changed the IP address of yoru wrt interface too.

If your am200 is 192.168.1.1, ie would suggest you change the wrt to 192.168.1.2

Edited by BudMan

That's what it is. I connect to the

AM using http://192.168.1.1

and the

Router using http://192.168.1.2/

and yes, it's mine im connecting to, not anyone elses :p

Edit: Just went into my sisters room now and it seems to be connected. Does it take longer for more secure methods to be able to connect to the internet?

Edited by TheRealDave

So with security WPA-PSK (tkip or aes?) you can connect to both the interface of the router and the am200?

Ie you can call up their web interfaces an make changes -- its not cached? You can ping both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2?

Does not make any sense -- I think we are missing some info..

Security no matter if wep,wpa or wpa2 is only to the wrt.. If you can get talk to the am200 an routers interface.. then your wireless encryption has nothing to do with it..

But you say it works if you turn off encryption?? With encryption on, you get dhcp from the am200? What are the details your ipconfig /all

I think we are missing a vital piece of information to figure out your problem..

am200

IP 192.168.1.1

mask 255.255.255.0

dhcp server 192.168.1.100-150 (scope dns and gateway info all point back to 192.168.1.1)

wrt

ssid: TRD

encryption wpa-psk tkip

passphrase: test123

IP 192.168.1.2

mask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

dns 192.168.1.1

wired client

dhcp?

IP 192.168.1.100

mask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

dns 192.168.1.1

wireless client

ssid: TRD

encyption: wpa-psk tkip

passphrase: test123

IP dhcp? Gets from am200 and renews?? use ipconfig /all -- look at dhcp server and lease, do a /release then /renew

IP 192.168.1.101

mask: 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1

dns 192.168.1.1

Can access both webinterfaces of am200 and wrt? Can ping their IPs.. Can it ping the IP of other wired PC ip? 192.168.1.100?

Do you have any type of MAC filtering set at the am200, or what about IP filtering.. Not sure about the am200, but its possible to block internet access by IP.. Is the IP address your wireless client the same when using encrytion and when not using it? Is either of these IPs blocked at the am200

Can you ping your ISPs gateway? You should be able to find this in your am200 status page for its wan interface, etc..

edit: so working now??? Well no if you can access the interface of am200 and router.. you should of been able to get to the internet.. Could of been something weird with dns caching?? Without details of what you did to troubleshoot and all the symptoms you were seeing.. Kind of hard to pinpoint what the actual issue was..

So your using wpa2 I would hope! ;)

I think you missunderstand me. I only wanted access to the router and am through the wired computer. The wireless computer is for my sister to browse the internet only. I havent checked if she has access to the two devices. Now all I need to do is make the network secure from

a) internet

b) other wireless devices that could access the network (shouldnt be a problem with WPA2)

This is all new for me so it's quite a big learning curve. You surely have helped me greatly BudMan. Before I didnt even understand what PPPoA and DHCP. I now have enough basic knowledge of both to be able to semi-set up a decent network. Thank you again :)

Well yes she would have access to the devices.. Anyone that is on your network would have access to the devices.. Kind of hard not too ;)

But they would need the password to access any functions on them..

• 4 weeks later...