MS Announces Xbox 360 mini-keyboard (PICS)

text_screen001.jpg

text_screen002.jpg

Xbox 360 gets keyboard controller

New attachment snaps onto system's standard pad for quick and easy instant message typing.

While Microsoft's Xbox 360 Spring Update will integrate Windows Live Messenger into the system's dashboard for cross-platform chatting, the machine's text-window interface for standard control pads makes lengthy conversations a chore.

To ease the task of typing in messages without the aid of a full-sized keyboard, Microsoft today announced a new text input device for the Xbox 360 controller. The attachment snaps onto the bottom of the controller through the headset jack and features a QWERTY-style key layout with 47 keys.

The keyboard attachment has not been priced or even named yet, but it is expected to see release this summer.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168676.html?...newstop;title;2

I guess that confirms the validility of the leaked info about the spring update then??

I dunno how comfortable that would be though, I think I would have to see how it felt in my hand before buying one.

April fools? :s

How do you type on that thing? with your thumbs?

I dont think mine can get all the way down there :s

Id rather have another keyboard layout in the dashboard

I just tried it using my 360 controller and it feels fine. Or maybe I just have long thumbs. If you check the pic more closely, you'll see it's quite a bit raised.

One thing. Just looking at those pics, the hole at the bottom of the keyboard only has one circular hole. So how would you plug in the headset?

edit - Spartan, you love doing this don't ya :laugh:

One thing. Just looking at those pics, the hole at the bottom of the keyboard only has one circular hole. So how would you plug in the headset?

Exactly what I was thinking.

I think it'll look awkward to hold a controller with that connected to it... but otherwise, it doesn't look like it'll affect regular use of the controller (Y)

That's SO cool - finally! I'll actually have a reason to send messages! It doesn't look that uncomfortable at all. I'd love to see Playstation do this now - all controllers should have this! Much needed!

It's going to be like typing on a Sidekick, I would think. As for the headphones, I'm guessing they would expect you to take the keyboard out and put the headset in when it's time to game?

that looks absolutely ridiculous and impracticable....

you guys better get good at 'peck and hunt' because theres not way your going to be typing properly on that thing

It's going to be like typing on a Sidekick, I would think. As for the headphones, I'm guessing they would expect you to take the keyboard out and put the headset in when it's time to game?

No - that's an old mock-up. I remember seeing it when MS were proposing potential add-ons for the 360 way back at its launch. Obviously the real thing will have proper headset support.

that looks absolutely ridiculous and impracticable....

you guys better get good at 'peck and hunt' because theres not way your going to be typing properly on that thing

Peck and hunt is the only way I can type - and I'm fast at it!

I loathe touch typing :angry: