Daemon Tools 4.0.9

Daemon Tools 4.0.9

Updated: 14 Apr 2007 | Freeware | 1.70MB

Daemon Tools is an advanced application for multiprotection emulation. It is further development of Generic Safedisc emulator and incorporates all its features.

Daemon Tools supports the following image files:

- cue/bin

- iso

- ccd (CloneCD)

- bwt (Blindwrite)

- mds (Media Descriptor File)

- cdi (Discjuggler)

- nrg (Nero)

- pdi (Instant CD/DVD)

- b5t (BlindWrite 5)

Changes in Daemon Tools 4.0.9:

- Support for StarForce 4.70.

- Support for compressed and encrypted *.mds images which soon will be created by Alcohol and DAEMON Tools Pro.

- Support for compressed and encrypted *.isz images created by UltraISO.

- Fixed some minor issues with image autorun, autostart option etc. (also HKCU is used now instead of HKLM).

- Added "Check for updates" option (periodically checks for new version at each tray start).

- Internal virtual drive engine enhancements.

- Fixed installation problems on Dell systems with Embassy Trust Suite

Changes in Daemon Tools 3.47:

- Fixed lockup with some images containing bad sectors made by Alcohol (MDS)

- Fixed Nero InCD formatting problem with DAEMON Tools present

- Fixed atapi.sys locking problem (as a result, some emulation ability is removed for PCD5 until new release)

Download: DAEMON Tools 4.09 X86 32 Bits and X64 64 Bits | DAEMON Tools 3.47 32 Bits

Homepage: DAEMON Tools

Source: Codecs.com

Important Notes:

- Quote from Daemon Tools' release notes: "Another important change in DAEMON Tools 4.00 is the integration of ADWARE. Yes, we need that revenues. However, we decided to let YOU choose to run it with ADWARE and support us - or simple turn it OFF in installation-process and run it same way as former versions - without ADWARE. By default, it is turned ON - to not install that ADWARE, please UNCHECK at installation "DAEMON TOOLS SEARCHBAR" (or you can remove it anytime later when you wish via "Control Panel"-> "Add/Remove programs")."

Edited by apul

It's kind of strange that the SPTI driver that's bundled with this is detected as a rootkit. Uninstalled and cleaned from the registry.

Daemon Tools is one of a number of applications that use rootkits, in order to circumvent copy protection checks in place to determine if emulation software is in use.

It's up to you whether you think it's a legitimate use of rootkits, and whether to allow it on your system.

I'm using the previous 4.something version on my new Vista install and it works fine.

@Rob: I still find it strange. I updated from 3.46 which did not exhibit this behavior.

Version 3.46 also used rootkits.

It just wasn't detected.

I've just finished writing a 5,000 word report on rootkits and I used Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% as a example of software using rootkit techniques to circumvent (as opposed to Sony's enforcing of) DRM.

DAEMON Tools (and Alcohol 120%) uses rootkit-like techniques to hide itself from copy protections. It doesn't include any backdoors, password spying, keyloggers, etc...

If you upgrade to Vista with DAEMON Tools 4.x installed you'll need to reinstall SPTD after. DAEMON Tools 3.x isn't supported on Vista, so you should upgrade to 4.x or uninstall 3.x before installing Vista.

I love how Norton360 give me trouble the other day with the adware. I didn't install it and Norton still say that a computer reboot was needed :rofl:

@Rob: I still find it strange. I updated from 3.46 which did not exhibit this behavior.

daemon tools had rootkits from the start. there is no other way to hide it self from copy protection systems.

not every rootkit is bad.

also if you use vista, you have to use the latest SPTD

one big one, Deamon Tools is always the first to be updated.

Alcohol uses daemon tools files, so they have to wait to update the main components that are used for emulation.

Does 3.47 still work in Vista? Last time I tried it in RC2 it trashed Vista

Well that's because RC2 wasn't final, a lot of bugs have been fixed since then.... :rolleyes:

It works fine in Vista and XP, tried both.

I didn't know that. Source?

As a dtools developer, I can confirm that. You can also note the similarities between alcoholx.dll and daemon.dll (file version and resources).

I'd rather pay the $30.00 for UltraISO. No adware, no rootkit.

There's nothing wrong with the Daemon tools rootkit. It uses it to hide from copy protection schemes. Without it, it'd be very easy for copy protection schemes to detect it. Hiding like it does, it makes it very difficult.

Not all rootkits are malicious/bad. Most are. This one isn't.