Xbox 360 GPU to go to 65nm in fall

Xbox 360 GPU to go to 65nm in fall, TSMC to see side benefits, says paper

Commercial Times, April 30; Esther Lam, DIGITIMES [Monday 30 April 2007]

Sources at equipment makers were cited by a Chinese-language Commercial Times report as saying that the Xbox 360 will be equipped with a 65nm-made Xenos graphics processing unit (GPU) in the fall and that corresponding foundry partner Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) will see benefits.The paper cited the sources as saying that an engineering version of the 65nm-made Xenos has been sent out and production will start in May. TSMC projected sales contribution from 65nm would amount to 5% during mid-2007.

On a separate note, TSMC announced the introduction of 65nm-made embedded DRAM in March. Embedded DRAM is one of the two dies that comprise the Xenos. In the 90nm version of the Xenos, embedded DRAM is manufactured by NEC.

Source

Only the GPU, though... :(

What would be the benefit of using a smaller chip that does exactly the same job?

It runs cooler, which is apparently a big problem for some people. Personally I've never had overheating issues.

It runs cooler, which is apparently a big problem for some people. Personally I've never had overheating issues.

I believe it also decreases manufacturing costs.

-Spenser

Costs go down, heat loss goes down, and thus so does noise a bit. Also power usages drops. The GPU is a key part of the system and is one of the things that runs hot, if not the hottest part of the system. Originally I expected them to start making 65nm chips in April, but it seems to be May now. Not a big change, this could also explain the timing of the Elite units.

Making a 3rd SKU, with a higher price yes, but it will allow them to use up any 90nm chips they might have left also. And after those are gone, then all 3 SKUs will switch over to the new smaller chips.

I laugh at people who are like "Well I am waiting to buy a 360 until they switch to the smaller chip". Guess what, the only reason Microsoft is doing this is so it will be cheaper, not because it runs cooler. Guess what they are gonna do when they make this switch, they are also gonna switch to a cheaper fan design. Thats the whole point. The xbox360 does NOT overheat unless you are some retard who leaves it facedown on a carpet or something.

I laugh at people who are like "Well I am waiting to buy a 360 until they switch to the smaller chip". Guess what, the only reason Microsoft is doing this is so it will be cheaper, not because it runs cooler. Guess what they are gonna do when they make this switch, they are also gonna switch to a cheaper fan design. Thats the whole point. The xbox360 does NOT overheat unless you are some retard who leaves it facedown on a carpet or something.

Yeah, all the people on this board with the problem are mistreating their 360s :rolleyes:

Nice.. However I can't stand $10 premiums on 3rd party titles.. ughh Until I see good games for $50 or less, I'm in..

It'll take a few years but hey I got my wii till then. *raises glass*

I've got a 360 but it frequently gives disc errors, be this a common fault or not it's still going back to the store, just waiting till I have a better chance of getting a 65nm BenQ model, any ideas when that'd be in the UK lol?

Richard

xxx