Buying 360 elite soon...warranty doubts ?

I am finally looking for buying xbox360 elite. I was wondering if I should go for some kind of protection plan (I hate those :pinch: ) or does Microsoft offer any extended warranty thing ?

It seems it has very high hardware failure problem...even if it is just industry average, it looks like 100% for Neowin. :D

I am finally looking for buying xbox360 elite. I was wondering if I should go for some kind of protection plan (I hate those :pinch: ) or does Microsoft offer any extended warranty thing ?

It seems it has very high hardware failure problem...even if it is just industry average, it looks like 100% for Neowin. :D

Pfft...I haven't had any problems with my Jan. 2006 console :p

The MS warranty you get with the console lasts a year. You can get that extended if you want, but it's really entirely up to you.

-Spenser

I haven't had any issue with my 360s... My Elite is brand new, but I've had the Premium since October of last year... The hardware issues that people had generally dealt with launch consoles... And even then they weren't as frequent as it seemed.

I would say just stick with the year that it comes with.

Didn't have a problem with my Premium.

Microsoft's extended warranty is good though, if you want that additional year (for a total of 2). It's a fair price ($30 for extra year) and it's direct from Microsoft so you don't have to bother with store policies and whatnot.

Didn't have a problem with my Premium.

Microsoft's extended warranty is good though, if you want that additional year (for a total of 2). It's a fair price ($30 for extra year) and it's direct from Microsoft so you don't have to bother with store policies and whatnot.

so I can buy that from Microsoft directly during my first year ?

so I can buy that from Microsoft directly during my first year ?

Yeap. You can buy the extended warranty up until the last day of the 1-year included warranty.

I picked up one elite today. :) finally found one in the 7th store I tried. :| (Best-buy, c-city, compusa, gamestop, target, best buy2, target!)

Now only if my vista PC start playing sound from the Line-In X(.

And god...this thing is louder than a jet. :o Hitachi drive. :-s

If you're playing your 360 on your pc speakers, get one of these. I use one for my 360 and it's really handy. Worth the $4.

If the store you buy it from does not have a good extended warranty deal, without a doubt get it from MS. The extra piece of mind, never mind the fact that if something does happen it will cost you more money to fix than buying the warranty to begin with, is well worth it.

And oh yeah, just so you know, I am yet another person who has had zero issues with my Launch December 2005 Model. Keep in mind, no one ever starts threads like "So everyone knows, I have had my 360 for over a year now, and I have not had any issues," the only threads started about the performance of the 360 hardware are usually 99% about problems, not about no problems.

congrats on the buy! what games did you get?

I didn't have any time left to buy games. :D The target where I got this did not have any GoW in stock. So may be tomorrow.

I picked up one elite today. :) finally found one in the 7th store I tried. :| (Best-buy, c-city, compusa, gamestop, target, best buy2, target!)

And god...this thing is louder than a jet. :o Hitachi drive. :-s

Congrats, buddy! Jump In. :D

^ Wow, impressive! :D

But, is it just me, or is your power brick LED color Amber? It should be Green. You should probably try and find a different outlet to make sure that the LED is green when using your 360.

Also, what did you think of the build quality of the power brick? I know you probably didn't have a 360 before this, but did you find that the two-prong connection was really loose and somewhat flimsy?

^ Wow, impressive! :D

But, is it just me, or is your power brick LED color Amber? It should be Green. You should probably try and find a different outlet to make sure that the LED is green when using your 360.

Also, what did you think of the build quality of the power brick? I know you probably didn't have a 360 before this, but did you find that the two-prong connection was really loose and somewhat flimsy?

It's just my desk color playing tricks in the picture. It's green alright and turns amber when I turn the console off.

The connector was in my opinion. I mean similar to a pc/monitor connector.

But man the brick is HUUUGGGEEE. :blink:

Nice nice, congrats on the buy. Personally I bought a 2 year from EB Games for 50 bucks. Worth it for me because my launch 360 broke so I went in with a broken 360, and out with a brand new one within about 5-10 minutes. Beats waiting weeks for Microsoft to ship things, and you at least know you're getting a brand new box and not left over launch consoles from the warehouse.

Regardless, I think the price determines if it's worth it. I think the 360, as great as it is, suffers from too many possible breaking points... So that's why I bought another 2 years from EB when I did my trade in. I think my current one is due for breaking within the next couple of months, but it hasn't been a year yet I think so it's all good.

Hey magik, did you notice that the warranty card still says 90 days ? :D Guess they have truck loads of these printed. It also says I should extend in 10 days. Hmmm.

Nice nice, congrats on the buy. Personally I bought a 2 year from EB Games for 50 bucks. Worth it for me because my launch 360 broke so I went in with a broken 360, and out with a brand new one within about 5-10 minutes. Beats waiting weeks for Microsoft to ship things, and you at least know you're getting a brand new box and not left over launch consoles from the warehouse.

Regardless, I think the price determines if it's worth it. I think the 360, as great as it is, suffers from too many possible breaking points... So that's why I bought another 2 years from EB when I did my trade in. I think my current one is due for breaking within the next couple of months, but it hasn't been a year yet I think so it's all good.

Well, the EB Games warranty may sound like a good deal at first, but it's really not. Here's why:

The Elite console comes with a 1-year warranty from Microsoft, an additonal year is $30; Total = $30 for 2 year Microsoft Warranty.

A 2 year warranty from EB Games, IINM, starts as soon as you purchase the warranty, so if you purchase within that first year, you're "double-covered" and end up wasting the Microsoft warranty; Total = $50 for 2 years.

Granted, the fact that you can just walk in to your EB Games store and grab a new replacement 360 within minutes is definitely a plus, but you do lose out on the free Microsoft warranty.

Hey magik, did you notice that the warranty card still says 90 days ? :D Guess they have truck loads of these printed. It also says I should extend in 10 days. Hmmm.

oh, lol! I didn't even notice that :laugh: