Vista Aero crashing

Hi all,

I've got a problem which no one else on the web seems to be talking about...

I've got Vista Ultimate (but the same problem occured in beta 2), and after about 5 minutes of use I get a message informing me that "Desktop Window Manager has stopped working and will be closed." Before this I have no problems whatsoever (apart from Windows Media Player not working at all). After DWM has been closed my theme reverts to Windows Aero Basic and I can't switch back until I reboot.

I have the latest nvidia drivers, my motherboard drivers installed etc but no joy. A friend has suggested I could be having problems because my motherboard (the Asus a8r32-mvp deluxe) uses the ATI Crossfire chipset, but I have an nvidia graphics card (BFG 7900GTX). His suggestion is to try and update the BIOS (as there's a recent fix which mentions amd cool and quiet fixes for Vista).

Any ideas?

I was using the current Nvidia drivers (as of Saturday), but I've also tried the latest beta drivers too. I've never flashed a BIOS before, what are the chances of toasting my motherboard?

zachdms:

I'm not at my PC right now but I'll post info from the "Problem Reports and Solutions Center" later...

This is the information on the latest DWM crash in the Problem Reports and Solution Center:

Product

Desktop Window Manager

Problem

Stopped working

Date

05/05/2007 10:38

Status

Report Sent

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Dwm.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549aed1

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9

Exception Code: 80000003

Exception Offset: 00042ea8

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 8d13

Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Additional Information 3: 8d13

Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 343277649

I've just upgraded my BIOS, yet to see any problems but it's not been long enough yet...

The BIOS upgrade seems to have done it, nearly 40 minutes of trouble free Vista computing - this would have been unheard of before! :)

I just got back from lunch, but yeah - you beat me to it. That bucket indicates that you have a bad BIOS. Great work on already solving the problem. :)