Xbox 360 VGA cables

I am looking at using VGA cables to get 720p HD on my Dell 1907FP using 1280x1024 (its max resolution). I know from asking similar questions before that the speed of the computer doesn't matter. What I do not know is how I would connect the red/white connectors that com with the vga input. My current sound card is a audigy from creative that is connected to my surround sound. How exactly would I connect those red/white sound inputs to my surround sound.

you probably have a stereo single line in, you will need a Y jack to convert the red&white to the line in on your soundcard

As I don't exactly know what those are, would you be able to show me an example at a store such as tigerdirect (can't buy off newegg at the moment) or any other place relatively cheap (ebay)? Also, the cables themselves are $30, are the cheaper ones close to the same quality or not even?

Edit: Looks like over in https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=561107 that post, he is attempting the same thing as me. In all, what could be the range of everything I am going to have to pay to play on my monitor?

Unfreaking believable! Why do people recommend this very costly setups when you can get the cables and this simple switch box? Thanks very much for this easy solution. Has anybody else used these? Just wondering as I would like a little feedback to make sure I'm not missing some hidden variable.

Thanks!

or you could just go HERE

Thanks for trying to help but what exactly would that do. I would plug the red/white connectors in there but look at the other end. What kind connector is that and how would it be useful to my setup where I have a yellow/light green/black plugins for the surrond sound.

Unfreaking believable! Why do people recommend this very costly setups when you can get the cables and this simple switch box? Thanks very much for this easy solution. Has anybody else used these? Just wondering as I would like a little feedback to make sure I'm not missing some hidden variable.

Thanks!

I use that with my PS3 and speakers because I play on a computer monitor too. It works fine. It's not going to give you true 5.1 though, because RCA (red/white) can't carry 5.1.

I use that with my PS3 and speakers because I play on a computer monitor too. It works fine. It's not going to give you true 5.1 though, because RCA (red/white) can't carry 5.1.

That's ok, its not like my Logitech X530's could deliver full 5.1 anyway. Is it really that noticeable though in your opinion.

Edit: Currently looking on ebay for certified microsoft hd/vga cables and some are really really cheap, which has me really worried that they arn't the real deal.

Edited by mystic54

That's ok, its not like my Logitech X530's could deliver full 5.1 anyway. Is it really that noticeable though in your opinion.

What do you mean? Those are 5.1 speakers. I actually don't have my rear speakers hooked up anymore, but it sounds great through 2.1.

When I said that I meant that according to what I figured with them being so cheap they probably weren't going to bring in the best 5.1. So your saying that the red/white can only deliver 2.1? Still a bit confused.

When I said that I meant that according to what I figured with them being so cheap they probably weren't going to bring in the best 5.1. So your saying that the red/white can only deliver 2.1? Still a bit confused.

Yes.

Once again, this is going to sound really stupid, how big of a quality loss is there going to be? Is there a place where I can listen to different samples? So really with using this vga adapter, there is no way to get above 2.1 sound?

Edit: Also, I have been reading about aspect ratios etc with monitors and gaming systems. How can I tell if my image is going to be stretched and not worth all this trouble because of a non compatible monitor?

Edited by mystic54

Once again, this is going to sound really stupid, how big of a quality loss is there going to be? Is there a place where I can listen to different samples? So really with using this vga adapter, there is no way to get above 2.1 sound?

Edit: Also, I have been reading about aspect ratios etc with monitors and gaming systems. How can I tell if my image is going to be stretched and not worth all this trouble because of a non compatible monitor?

The VGA cable has nothing to do with sound. It's using RCA for audio that will only get you 2.1. RCA cables only support 2.1, that's just how it is. If you want to use 5.1 surround sound, you'll need to use an optical toslink cable. Your speakers will need to have an optical connection or you'll need to use an amp.

I don't have an experience with the 360, but I know that when you use a VGA connection on the 360, it lets you pick which resolution you want to use. There might be one that doesn't produce stretching, but it may depend on your monitor whether or not it can use that resolution. Even if there is stretching, it should be minimal.

For me, I play PS3 on 720p on a Dell 20" 2007WFP widescreen. There is some stretching, but this monitor has an aspect ratio mode, which adds black bars on the top and bottom of the screen so the picture doesn't stetch. Your monitor might need an option like this to prevent stretching, but I'm not sure how the 360 works since you can pick resolutions, and since you're not using a widescreen monitor.

Just realized something that could be troublesome. Obviously with my pc monitor connected to my video card all the time (vga), I'm in a bit of a fix. I am thinking of possibly going from that MS vga cable then to a dvi cable. Will the quality be messed around with, or is this ever usually done? I mean I could just unscrew the cables when I want to use either one but it seems like a bit time consuming.

I was going to do the VGA>DVI thing and was told the quality will be the same. Another option would be to get a KVM switch. That way you could use your keyboard on your 360 as well for texting.

As for your audio, jut get the official Microsofct VGA cable and it will come with a mini stereo adapter.

Well maybe I will purchase one of those converters then because they look really cheap. I just need to figure out what kind of dvi port is on my monitor. I know there are tons of different kinds so it looks like I am off to google :D!

It looks like several rows of holes to the left then 1 horizontal line on the right.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to double post guys but just when I think I finally get rolling with my setup, I get f***** over!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120123389782

You would think I get the right cables when it says VGA over and over again. Apparently not, because he sent me the normal freaking cables that come with the system. Somebody else that left him negative feedback, seems like he did the same thing to them but he said they didn't know what they were bidding on (it says VGA over and over). This was my first ebay purchase and it is turning out to be a disaster. I have already emailed him and messaged him and hopefully I will get a response in the morning.

Also, http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...CONTENTID=10036 the link that dreamsindigital posted that connects to your red/white from the vga cable then goes to a yellow/white/green adapter (for my surrond sound), the link has been taken down. What are they specifically called and where can I find one?

Thanks!

Ok check it out man, I've got my PS2, Xbox 360 and PC hooked into the same monitor. PC through DVI. 360 through VGA. PS2 through S-Video. And yes, for those of you who are wondering, this is an actual Dell PC Monitor. Now, I guess maybe I'm lucky enough to have bought this due to also producing dance tracks on my PC as well, but I have an Audigy with the breakout box. If you have the breakout box, might I suggest that you purchase an optical cable and run it into the breakout box. If you have 5.1 on your PC then the optical will allow you to have the game in 5.1 Honestly, if you're really worried about having great sound and picture, then you should look into savin some scratch and purchasing a reciever. Either way, to get the 5.1, you're going to need to use the optical cable. Also, I'd suggest that you spend the $30 for the Xbox VGA Adapter. You can get it from your local game store or best buy, etc. I picked up my VGA adapter from EB and it had everything I needed.

If you don't have the breakout box for the audigy, then you need to buy a 2-1 audio adapter. You can plug in the r/w on one side and a 1/8 adapter to plug into the back of the sound card on your line in. Now, for this to work you'll need to bring up audio options and make sure that you have your line-in un-muted. Once that's done, switch your monitor over to the channel you put the 360 on and turn it on and you should see it start up.

Total cost for you would be ~ $40 in the end. An optical cable will cost you a bit more. From what I've read here, this seems like what you're trying to do. Good luck!

Also, http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...CONTENTID=10036 the link that dreamsindigital posted that connects to your red/white from the vga cable then goes to a yellow/white/green adapter (for my surrond sound), the link has been taken down. What are they specifically called and where can I find one?

Thanks!

Logitech redesigned and reorganized their site, so it's not there anymore. Search around for "Logitech game console adapter" and you should be able to find some place to buy it.

Hmm, not a good sign. Everyplace that I searched for one on froogle came up with "out of stock" etc. I will keep looking. In the meantime, is there anything else similar that would make for an easy installation.

im sure when i got my xbox with ms vga cable, one of those two things came with the correct adapter for changing the RCA (red and white) to a standard headphone jack thing, then you can just stick that straight into your soundcard line in. Also one of the selectable resolutions is 1280x1024 for your monitor.

im sure when i got my xbox with ms vga cable, one of those two things came with the correct adapter for changing the RCA (red and white) to a standard headphone jack thing, then you can just stick that straight into your soundcard line in. Also one of the selectable resolutions is 1280x1024 for your monitor.

How can something go to my headphone jack then to my soundcard (in which I have the light blue spot open)? I think that was suggested before that if I did it that way, it would only deliver like 2.1 sound, which I interpreted it as not being able to have sound through all of my surround sound speakers. Is that all correct?