iPhone coming out June 29th

Here are those Apple iPhone ads, just seen on 60 minutes just now. They all confirm the iPhone's June 29th release date, they all show lots of gorgeous video of the iPhone in use. This video is called "Never Been an iPod", talking about all the new things you can do on the iPhone, like coverflow, widescreen movies, and of course, make calls.

The other two videos are great. One is a better quality version of the "Calamari" video, showing movie playback and Google maps search and call functionality. The other is called "How To", and it shows a lot of iPhone use, and how simple it is to work.

Source

HD Versions of the Ads

Its a great idea, and I would switch to Cingular to use it, if it wasnt locked. If i could install 3rd party programs on it, i might consider it. Until then the 6700 is fine for me.

The problem and barrier with iPhone is, the price and the bind to at&t. Otherwise, this thing will dominate.

im still not impressed by it... its a pocket pc with eye candy... but much more locked down

I wouldn't call it a Pocket PC, more like a Smartphone IMO. Regardless, it has a lot of features that I like & looks a lot better than any other Smartphone on the market IMO.

Take for instance the Visual Voicemail, what other phone on the market does that? Or the touchscreen? The built-in iPod.

I am so not buying it

Congrats (Y)

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't call it a Pocket PC, more like a Smartphone IMO.

Why would you call it a Smarphone? From what I can tell, generally, a smartphone is a stripped down Pocket PC. A smartphone doesn't have a touchscreen and a generally smaller screen. Compare the T-Mobile MDA (Pocket PC) vs. T-Mobile SDA (Smartphone).

I'll be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the iPhone, but seeing these ads, the super clean interface is very appealing. I wonder if the interface really is that fast though. In the ads, the transition from horizontal to vertical is very clean and instant. My MDA switches from horizontal and vertical, but there is a second pause and the phone freezes. It's hardly a big deal, but I wonder if the iPhone would perform in the same way.

Or the touchscreen? The built-in iPod.

For one, the Treo 700wx and 750v both have a touch screen and both have WMP built in. Its the same damn thing the iPhone does and has but it supports 3rd party software and plugins while the iPhone is locked down to what Jobs wants it to have.

Why would you call it a Smarphone? From what I can tell, generally, a smartphone is a stripped down Pocket PC. A smartphone doesn't have a touchscreen and a generally smaller screen. Compare the T-Mobile MDA (Pocket PC) vs. T-Mobile SDA (Smartphone).

I'll be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the iPhone, but seeing these ads, the super clean interface is very appealing. I wonder if the interface really is that fast though. In the ads, the transition from horizontal to vertical is very clean and instant. My MDA switches from horizontal and vertical, but there is a second pause and the phone freezes. It's hardly a big deal, but I wonder if the iPhone would perform in the same way.

I'm thinking the same thing about how smooth the transition is...

Honestly though these ads make me want it so bad. I know the demand is going to be crazy though and it's going to be selling on eBay for $1500. So I'll probably end up waiting a bit for it...

I still like my 8525...

This will take like 2 more years to start shipping in Australia.. God i hate this country sometimes.

I really can't wait for this, the ads are great.. theres just one thing thats makes me say :/.. and thats the touch screen.. I fear that it can be easily scratched in the pocket just like my LG Chocolate (which is also a touch screen) but nothing like the iPhone.

What distinguishes the iPhone over any other Smartphone is the interface and functionality. You can argue that technically they perform and function the same, but it is also this point that makes it stand out and *possibly* be in front of the competition. On one hand you have a Ferrari, or even Honda and Hyundai. They are cars, they take you from point A to point B, but no doubt one stands out. Vague metaphor i agree, but it is valid. If you were to choose which you would like if it had no cost on you, then I personally would choose the slicker feel of the iPhone. Some may like the Hyundai because more MPG or practicality, but if cost was a non factor, then...

For one, the Treo 700wx and 750v both have a touch screen and both have WMP built in. Its the same damn thing the iPhone does and has but it supports 3rd party software and plugins while the iPhone is locked down to what Jobs wants it to have.

I can't speak for those devices because I've never read anything about them, but I never said that no other phone had similar features. Can you view photos and movies, and in widescreen with those devices? On top of that I prefer iTunes over WMP, so like I said the iPhone has features I like that other phones don't have.

iPhone, I hope the battery isn't as crappy as their ipod line up

All current smartphones have worse battery life than the iPhone and iPods.

I'll be getting one asap but they don't arrive in Canada in June :(

All current smartphones have worse battery life than the iPhone and iPods.

Yup, the current released info on the iPhone's battery is 5 hours talk/video time and 16 hours of music time.

Wow. Those advertisements were awesome. Is there any chance of Apple going to other networks?... otherwise I have to wait 2 years until contract is out :(.

That is too bad about no 3rd party apps. Still looks like an awesome launch for Apple to rival Palm and Microsoft with.

I'd like to know how much is it retail and how much will service contract offers knock down the price like other phones.

What distinguishes the iPhone over any other Smartphone is the interface and functionality. You can argue that technically they perform and function the same, but it is also this point that makes it stand out and *possibly* be in front of the competition. On one hand you have a Ferrari, or even Honda and Hyundai. They are cars, they take you from point A to point B, but no doubt one stands out. Vague metaphor i agree, but it is valid. If you were to choose which you would like if it had no cost on you, then I personally would choose the slicker feel of the iPhone. Some may like the Hyundai because more MPG or practicality, but if cost was a non factor, then...

Thank you very much! Finally someone who understands the whole point of why the iPhone looks like an awesome gadget.

Just like the iPod. The iPod wasn't revolutionary. There were HD players before it that played music and did almost anything that the ipod can do. The difference? marketing was/is successful and the player does a good job at what it's suppose to do: play music! It will be the same thing with the iPhone hopefully.

Besides, another thing is that people bitch about the price but seriously, most ppl get their phones straight off their carriers and are tied to them with 1-2-3 years contracts. So you get a 2 years contract let's say and pay your phone $150. In reality, you're paying your phone maybe $400, and that's just a phone. the iPhone yes it does cost more than a phone but it does more than a phone and IMO looks better than a phone or the ugly looking blackberries that have millions of buttons on their keyboards. Not convinced? The new Motorola KRZR K3 unlocked costs a little over $470 USD. The LG Prada ? over $740 USD (prices source: hi-mobile.net).

Besides, it's GSM so maybe someone will find a way to unlock it, and by maybe it's for sure :p

Edited by rainman.

all the videos lead to the same one. very cool phone, i would be extremely worried about that touch screen. It would need to be in a hard shell carring case so your hip, or a desk whatever doesn't scratch it / compress the screen.

The LG Chocolate phones don't have a long life time with the touch screen.. i wonder how the iPhone will hold up

I continue to say...with no 3g support, the phone is DOA for me.

Why would ATT make a phone that won't support 3g? Beside, I will stick with the blackjack. Does everything that the iphone will and more. Plus it is the microsd slot for expansion.

The iPhone sounds really great but it blows majorly how it's only for AT&T. I'm with T-Mobile...and because I won't switch companies, I won't buy the iPhone...unless it's unlockable. :wink wink:

I wonder if T-Mobile has anything in store to compete with AT&T/Apple's iPhone.

I continue to say...with no 3g support, the phone is DOA for me.

That I would agree with, which is why I'm going to wait and recommend anyone who might ask me about to wait until future generations.