Apple Announces iPhone Service Plans

Apple has released details of the service plans that will be available for the iPhone. Three special monthly plans are available:

- $59.99 for 450 voice minutes

- $79.99 for 900 voice minutes

- $99.99 for 1,350 voice minutes

All three plans include unlimited data (email & web), Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, roll over minutes and unlimited mobile to mobile calling. Plans have a $36 one-time activation fee and are two year contracts. Family plans will also be available, but were not disclosed at this time. In addition, any standard AT&T service plan may be chosen.

Apple also clarified that activation of the iPhone and account setup will be done completely through iTunes.

Apple? and AT&T Inc. today announced that iPhone? users will be able to activate their new iPhones using Apple's popular iTunes? software running on a PC or Mac? computer in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated. Activating iPhone takes only minutes as iTunes guides the user through simple steps to choose their service plan, authorize their credit and activate their iPhone. Once iPhone is activated, users can then easily sync all of their phone numbers and other contact information, calendars, email accounts, web browser bookmarks, music, photos, podcasts, TV shows and movies just like they do when they sync their iPods with iTunes..

Edited by kraized

Interesting...I wonder what the UK plans will be nearer the time...

Thats if they ever find a European carrier. :whistle:

It's going to be AT&T exclusive for a couple years I wouldn't worry about European carriers getting it right now. Basically it's the same price as an individual voice plan of the same minutes with $20 unlimited data add on. Don't know why a seperate rate plan needed to be created.

It's going to be AT&T exclusive for a couple years I wouldn't worry about European carriers getting it right now.

AT&T Exclusive in the US perhaps, however AT&T don't offer their cellular service in Europe as far as I know. Apple have already commited to releasing the iPhone towards the end of this year in Europe, so I guess they just need to find an operator to strike a deal with.

so i have to install itunes... no thanks.

You say that like your surprised. Hows it any different than an iPod. Besides being to activate the phone yourself rather than having to wait on the line when you talk to them or go to their stores and wait on the line there. I'd much rather do it myself.

As for the plans its a bit high ya, but it comes with unlimited data which was usually a biggy, so at least thats on your side. Hopefully you can modify your plans, as 200 sms isn't enough for me.

It's going to be AT&T exclusive for a couple years I wouldn't worry about European carriers getting it right now. Basically it's the same price as an individual voice plan of the same minutes with $20 unlimited data add on. Don't know why a seperate rate plan needed to be created.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember when they first announced the iPhone, there was supposed to be a european release early '08, and AP release end of '08.

Well, I'm being screwed by AT&T, then. With a 20% discount, I pay ~$85 a month for 450 anytime, 5000 night and weekend, unlimited date, 1500 sms. Thanks guys.

True...I would be interested if the monthly is low...and by low I mean free :laugh:

Which isn't likely until Apple back down on some of their demands. And even then, it's pushing it. The phone is designed for the US market; it has little to offer the European market beyond its name.

Well, I'm being screwed by AT&T, then. With a 20% discount, I pay ~$85 a month for 450 anytime, 5000 night and weekend, unlimited date, 1500 sms. Thanks guys.

Ouch, i have Sprint and pay 69.99 for 700 minutes, free mobile to mobile, and free after 7pm and weekends

I guess the "Rip off Britain" phrase isn't quite so true anymore. The cost of those plans REALLY bites! You poor buggers!

Mind you, they probably get more out of us with downloadable content such as ringtones, background pictures and Java games... Do you guys have videocalls over there, like we do with the 3 network?

I guess the "Rip off Britain" phrase isn't quite so true anymore. The cost of those plans REALLY bites! You poor buggers!

Mind you, they probably get more out of us with downloadable content such as ringtones, background pictures and Java games... Do you guys have videocalls over there, like we do with the 3 network?

Actually, these plans are pretty inexpensive for us, especially with unlimited data. Then again, our networks are always behind the rest of the world.

You're getting screwed somewhere. $39.99 for 450 minutes / 5000 N/W, $29.99 for unlimited data and 1500 messages. Now maybe I suck at math but that does not equal $85 by my calculations.

Well its a bit more then I thought it would be, but I'll survive.

with unlimited data, 200 text messages and unlimited mobile to mobile, isn't it pretty much the same as any comparable service plan out there?

You're getting screwed somewhere. $39.99 for 450 minutes / 5000 N/W, $29.99 for unlimited data and 1500 messages. Now maybe I suck at math but that does not equal $85 by my calculations.

44.99 for unlimited data and 1500 messages. PDA plan since I have a blackjack.

Hopefully you can modify your plans, as 200 sms isn't enough for me.

Yes, from watching the video of activation it looks as if you can customize the plans. 1500 SMS for $10, or unlimited for $20.

iphonesmsplanshc6.jpg

I wonder if they will release an inexpensive version of iPhone. I can't pay $500 dollars for a damn cell phone. I like the GUI of the phone but I don't need the iPod capability.

Ouch, i have Sprint and pay 69.99 for 700 minutes, free mobile to mobile, and free after 7pm and weekends

yikes, I hope you get data with that... because for that I only pay $49.95

Even old-style 10.2 Jaguar drop-down pinstripe menus. :rolleyes:

post-61366-1182870426_thumb.png