Boy gets

Police are trying to trace the owner of 65,400 euros (?44,000) mistakenly sent to a 16-year-old boy who bought a Playstation Two for ?95 on eBay.

The cash arrived in a box at the house in Aylsham, Norfolk, with the games console, but minus two games.

Police are holding the money under the Proceeds of Crime Act while the matter is investigated.

An eBay spokesman said the parcel's contents were "somewhat unusual" and it would help police with their inquiries.

The boy's parents, who are not commenting, alerted police when the parcel arrived on 20 March.

Family claim

Magistrates have given Norfolk Police until September to hold on to the money before the case comes up in court again.

But, if the money remains unclaimed the family could potentially apply for it to be returned to them under the Police Property Act.

A police spokesman said: "We have until 22 September before we have to go back to court to apply for a further order if necessary."

A spokesman for eBay said: "We know that eBay is a great place to pick up a bargain, although in this case, we agree that the contents of the parcel were somewhat unusual and we will assist with any inquiries the police may wish to make."

Source: BBC

'GOOD SELLER, WOULD BUY AGAIN AAAAA++++++'

I would add "THANKS FOR THE ?44,000!!>"

Why hand the money in? It's the sellers problem!!

Yeh tbh id of just opened the box. Went "Omg GIVE!" slapped the boy about and ran out the door to starta new life on my own private island (i realise ?44k aint enuff but id gamble and win)

i bet he gave a negative feedback... must be a complete idiot.. handed the cash in, bet he's really upset he didnt get his PS2. lol

What muppet would hand that sorta money over - I know I wouldn't.... But on the other side, I'd be quite ****ed if I had accidentally sent ?44k.

I would add "THANKS FOR THE ?44,000!!>"

Why hand the money in? It's the sellers problem!!

why bother with hospitals? it's the patient's problem

I dont see how it can be a mistake, you'd notice putting that much money into a box

Edit: Jesus christ we're from the same town

I heard about this on the radio!

TBH, why the hell would you tell anyone? Your practically rich now, hell he could buy a dosen ps3's and hd tv's nevermind ps2!

Most of the time i'd have also said 'yeah i'd have have kept the money' but in this case i wouldn't want the sort of people who have ?44000 in cash and are putting it in a parcel knocking my door asking for it back.

They should have just kept the money :huh:

Anyway, isn't ?95 a bit expensive for a PS2 + 2 games? I would have thought you could get that for less if you buy a preowned console + games in a video game store.

Nigerian money laundering scheme- send the money to someone then claim it was inadvertantly sent and ask for it back or face criminal charges?

seriously EVERYONE on digg, and all the forums are saying "what douche, i woulda kept the money"... if anything this family was smart. since if you were in the situation you wouldve kept the money and something wouldve happened to you. then the whole world would be laughing at you...

you're telling me you would've kept the money? ok maybe me too...but think about this one for a sec

what kind of guy has around 90,000 in cold hard cash sitting around? some sort of dealer most probably.

ok so this can turn really really dirty in two different scenarios.

1) dealer tips the cops of that the money is at your address...police bust in and find bundles of cash totalling 90k in packages sitting under your bed. ironically, this was the same amount of cash that was exchanged for a huge inventory of drugs, however the money and dealers got away. have fun explaining why you have 90,000 under your bed to the cops.

2) so suppose this was truly an accident. obviously the buyer isnt going to give it back, if the seller asks nicely in polite email. he hires some henchmen and tell them to raid your house and kill everyone inside so that there is no lead back to the eBay transaction. and if these guys are drug dealers, then that sucks for you, because they will personally come to your house and will make sure the job is done.

now what the family has done, they turned it over to the cops, and they have like 90 days for the owner to claim the money. so far no one has stepped up. pretty weird right? i mean if i lost 90k AND they were giving it up...wouldnt you atleast claim it over the phone and come down to get it later? what kind of person would want to avoid police confrontation ? hmmmm.... tough one. plus if no one claims it within 90 days the family has a chance to file a claim and legally obtain the money...

rethink before you jump to your decisions.

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow... wow... ... wow ... ... ... ... he bought a playstation 2 for ?95?!

I was trying to add some diversity into the discussion!:laugh::

Nah, you're right, it have been better to hand the money in... you don't what kind of trouble you may have if you keep it.

seriously EVERYONE on digg, and all the forums are saying "what douche, i woulda kept the money"... if anything this family was smart. since if you were in the situation you wouldve kept the money and something wouldve happened to you. then the whole world would be laughing at you...

you're telling me you would've kept the money? ok maybe me too...but think about this one for a sec

what kind of guy has around 90,000 in cold hard cash sitting around? some sort of dealer most probably.

ok so this can turn really really dirty in two different scenarios.

1) dealer tips the cops of that the money is at your address...police bust in and find bundles of cash totalling 90k in packages sitting under your bed. ironically, this was the same amount of cash that was exchanged for a huge inventory of drugs, however the money and dealers got away. have fun explaining why you have 90,000 under your bed to the cops.

2) so suppose this was truly an accident. obviously the buyer isnt going to give it back, if the seller asks nicely in polite email. he hires some henchmen and tell them to raid your house and kill everyone inside so that there is no lead back to the eBay transaction. and if these guys are drug dealers, then that sucks for you, because they will personally come to your house and will make sure the job is done.

now what the family has done, they turned it over to the cops, and they have like 90 days for the owner to claim the money. so far no one has stepped up. pretty weird right? i mean if i lost 90k AND they were giving it up...wouldnt you atleast claim it over the phone and come down to get it later? what kind of person would want to avoid police confrontation ? hmmmm.... tough one. plus if no one claims it within 90 days the family has a chance to file a claim and legally obtain the money...

rethink before you jump to your decisions.

I'm sorry, I assume you're not from the UK, but...Norfolk...

you dont get henchmen going round to norfolk. you get farmers and tractors. and if they have that much money lying around, why would they need to sell a ps2 on ebay

it may convince you, but then perhaps thats why you're not in the police force (im guessing). I doubt if they got "tipped off" that you had the money that they'd arrest you straight away. hard time explaining it? tell them it turned up in your ebay order. im sure they would look into that, and woah, that would take them straight to the supposed drug dealers

rethink before you jump to your decisions

I am very very tired

Well I'm sure HM Treasury would like to say a few words about using banknotes as packing material. One way to ensure something doesn't get damage in transit, although I'm sure those airbags are more economical...