Can't lill processes...

Hey guys, I have this annoying problem, and I can't seem to find that's causing it. Sometimes an app would lock up, and what do we do when that happens? Go to task manager and hit delete. Well great, only nothing happens. It's just keeps sitting there. I click delete a hundred times, and nothing happens. So the only options left is to restart Vista. Now, sometimes, when I click Restart in the start menu it will restart after 10 mins of just standing still, other times a hard reboot would be required, and I suspect what is causing this are the damn processes.

WTF is causing this?!

Hey guys, I have this annoying problem, and I can't seem to find that's causing it. Sometimes an app would lock up, and what do we do when that happens? Go to task manager and hit delete. Well great, only nothing happens. It's just keeps sitting there. I click delete a hundred times, and nothing happens. So the only options left is to restart Vista. Now, sometimes, when I click Restart in the start menu it will restart after 10 mins of just standing still, other times a hard reboot would be required, and I suspect what is causing this are the damn processes.

WTF is causing this?!

I had a problem simular to this. I had to do a repair and it has worked fine since.

I'm not sure this will work, but if you've turned on UAC make sure that you are using Task Manager as Admin by clicking "Show Proceses From All Users" in task manager. I don't know...

Step 1: Turn UAC back on, having it off is stupid and is only going to cause more problems.

Step 2: Update your drivers. What kind of motherboard / IDE or SATA controller are you using? I'm betting you have a bad driver for it.

Also, are you using "End Task" in the Applications tab of Task Manager, or the "End Process" option in the Processes tab? (the latter is more forceful, and should always terminate the app unless it's stalled in an I/O operation or something - which probably means a horked driver).

Step 1: Turn UAC back on, having it off is stupid and is only going to cause more problems.

:laugh: Right.

Step 2: Update your drivers. What kind of motherboard / IDE or SATA controller are you using? I'm betting you have a bad driver for it.

Also, are you using "End Task" in the Applications tab of Task Manager, or the "End Process" option in the Processes tab? (the latter is more forceful, and should always terminate the app unless it's stalled in an I/O operation or something - which probably means a horked driver).

I'm using the most updated drivers of my nForce 680i from nVidia.

And don't you think that if I've written 'processes,' I mean "End Process?" That's what's so annoying. Never had to deal with crap like that in XP.

:laugh: Right.

Why laugh? He's perfectly correct. (and Brandon is probably one of the most knowledgable people here on the subject.)

If you turn off UAC, you're basically messing around with process privledges (In this case, at least. It also plays god with the file system ACLs). Most testing done on Vista will be with UAC on. Things are bound to act unexpectedly with it off, and the benefits of having it on far outweigh the extra 4 or 5 seconds total out of your day a couple of UAC prompts will cost you.

Dude, whatever. You're not here to criticize me how I'm using my PC. The fact is this stuff doesn't happen in XP. I won't to solve the problem in Vista, because it's currently very annoying.

Dude, whatever. You're not here to criticize me how I'm using my PC. The fact is this stuff doesn't happen in XP. I won't to solve the problem in Vista, because it's currently very annoying.

And? You're basically running the OS in a mode that it wasn't intended to be run in. Things are bound not to work as expected. I'm not criticizing how you use your computer (Though I could, there is really no good reason to run with UAC off, and dozens of threads on why this is so.), I'm merely informing you of this.

It's also very likely to be the only possible solution you're going to get.

With the stuff I do in Windows, UAC's nagging is unacceptable.

:rolleyes: But FFS, drivers not working because of UAC turned off, :laugh: even to suggest it is stupid. I'm merely informing you of this.

With the stuff I do in Windows, UAC's nagging is unacceptable.

:rolleyes: But FFS, drivers not working because of UAC turned off, :laugh: even to suggest it is stupid. I'm merely informing you of this.

He suggested updating the drivers because the processes could be hanging in i/o tasks, which the drivers could be responsible for. Not that the drivers could be failing because of UAC being turned off.

I was referring to what you said. If you didn't mean that then I clearly misunderstood.

As I said, I have the latest nVidia drivers. I'm using their storage drivers.

I'm having the same problem in Vista Where I can't Kill processes.

Two programs I have the most trouble with trying to kill processes in Vista are Frostwire 4.13.1.6 (P2P App) and Bitspirit 3.2.2.215 (Bittorent App).

There are other programs processes I am having trouble killing as well which just are sitting and eating memory after atempting to kill them in Task Manager.

It does this both with UAC Enabled and Disabled, I am the only user of my PC.

I hope there is a solution to fix this.

When you try to end a process, does another one called "dumprep.exe" appear?
And if it does, end it! I think that's the memory dump process.
:| I hope this is not some stupid bug MS just let fly.
No, very few things would prevent a process from closing, and it's usually to prevent something much, much, worse.

Can you use taskkill command from Command Prompt to kill processes?

taskkill /f /t /im program.exe
taskkill /f /t /pid Process' ProcessID (PID)

/f = force

/t = terminate child processes, if any.

Well, I formated the Vista drive and installed Vista again. Hopefully, this crap will not occur again.

Wilhelmus, thanks for your advice. If it happens again, I will most certainly try.

Try going without installing the nvidia 680 drivers. I never do, they seem to just cause more problems than they're worth. That's the most likely cause I can think of. Second best guess is that it's related to UAC being disabled. Third best guess would be a network driver (particularly if the hung app is something which uses network access).

It most likely has nothing to do with Vista specifically. The same thing could happen in XP, it's just that it's pretty rare (on either OS).