Shift Linux 0.5 (RC-2) released

Shift Linux 0.5 RC-2 Released

Shift Linux is a project that was created by the Neowin community. Shift is Debian based, therefore it has access to all of the software and applications as other Debian distributions. Neowin's Shift Linux is designed to give the user an experience of being part of the Neowin community as well as having a simple, easy-to-use Live CD that can be installed to your hard drive, if you enjoy the way our distribution works. Shift is a free, GPL-based Linux distribution that can be freely distributed or modified. There are no restrictions with Shift.

Shift Linux 0.5 (RC-2) includes three fully branded versions: KDE, Gnome, and Flux, all Live CDs. Included in this version are most of the most popular packages to include wireless support and a desktop installer. In addition, we have newly created packages such as:

1. k3b (All versions)

2. Rhythmbox (All versions)

3. Bluetooth Support (All versions)

4. HP Printer Drivers (All versions)

5. Power management and laptop detection (All versions)

6. NTFS Read/Write support (All versions)

7. Envy (All versions)

8. New branding!

9. Extremely fast...You'll forget it's a CD in 5 minutes.

Feel free to download and try our newest release. It has been designed for increased loading speeds. Please post any bugs found in our Bug Tracker.

Shift 0.5 (RC-2) Gnome:

http://files.neowin.net/download.php?file=5

Shift 0.5 (RC-2) KDE:

http://files.neowin.net/download.php?file=6

Shift 0.5 (RC-2) Fluxbox:

http://files.neowin.net/download.php?file=7

Thanks again to the Neowin members who have made this distribution possible. This is by far, the best release yet!

Guys, are the Mono Project and MonoDevelop integrated with Shift Linux?

No one has requested this until now.... we will look into it as soon as possible.

Hi everyone. I'm pretty much a total newb when it comes to Linux (yes, I'm used to Windows), but I like the looks of this version, and I have "messed around" with a few of the linux distributions in the past.

Which version of the three is the best for a newb like me?

Hi everyone. I'm pretty much a total newb when it comes to Linux (yes, I'm used to Windows), but I like the looks of this version, and I have "messed around" with a few of the linux distributions in the past.

Which version of the three is the best for a newb like me?

It depends on what Desktop Environment you prefer, I guess. I never found Gnome a good fit for me, and used to prefer KDE. The past few years, I have been 100% fluxbox, and would not want to go back to a KDE/Gnome environment.

Is there a torrent being set up, so I can help seed?

Is there a torrent being set up, so I can help seed?

Not yet, that I know, Mark...... but there will be one soon, I am sure.

will this run in IBOOK g3 500MHZ, 256MB RAM?

I do not know.......

^ Awesome Background

Can i run the above Live CD's on am AMD64 processor or do I need to wait for the x64 versions.

We plan on creating a 64-bit edition, but this CD ran fine on my 64-bit AMD2. Try it out..... ;))

**And we need some Fluxbox edition screen shots if anyone is running that now.........

No one has requested this until now.... we will look into it as soon as possible.

Thanks Barney!

Like I said in the comments, when you integrate it, I'll be using Shift as my Linux development VM.

**And we need some Fluxbox edition screen shots if anyone is running that now.........
I'm on it :)

Fluxbox screen shots here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/kre...hift/flux05rc2/

Edit: I only got 3 for now because I'm running in qemu and it's slow as hell. I don't know what's wrong with this program lately but it's making everything slow even with ram set to 512mb. I'll have to load these into VMWare or Virtualbox for a better experience. Anyway here's the link

Edit 2: Okay after running it in Virtualbox, which was nice and fast I added 2 more screenshots. You may notice they look different because I changed the GTK theme to clearlooks as it looks better and I wanted to show that it could be done so people don't have to see the ugly default theme :)

Edited by Barney

Hey, just to let you guys know, the root password is "root". Simple enough huh? I suggest burning CD's and actually trying this out, a virtual machine only goes so far!