'End Process' does not work.

So for certain programs I am forced to restart my computer to get them working again. One example is Azureus where if I had been using it earlier and closed it, sometimes it still appears under 'processes' in taskmanager. If I try and end the process nothing happens. The program does not show on the taskbar as running and if I click the program icon to start it again nothing happens.

Another example is the ETQW's demo. If I try it later on to play again, I get an error saying that the old instance of it is still running. I look under taskmanager and it is indeed using the ram. If I try and end the process it just won't disappear from the list.

In both of the above cases the only thing I can do is restart the computer. I have tried to end the processes in command prompt with certain commands but haven't gotten them to work.

Any ideas?

Thx.

Can you give us some info about your hardware?

Are the drivers up to date?

Do you have the performance & reliability updates installed (And every other update, too.)? (They're in Windows Update.)

I believe last time I saw this kind of thread pop up, a possible cause was the process hanging on an I/O operation, and the hard disk controller drivers being at fault.

the funny thing this happens for me to, when Foobar2000 hangs/freezes

I cannot kill process at all, it's still there

(I got admin rights, UAC on or off) ... tried everything, very odd

This may be nothing but is the ETQW's demo using Java? I know Azureus is Java and so is uTorrent (Leo Natan's issue) so maybe the problem is not so much Vista but how the current Java runtime integrates with Vista.

Like I said it was just a guess. I was trying to find a common thread between the three applications. I thought the uTorrent client was Java but if you say it isn't then is perhaps it isn't. An I/O driver then does sound a likely possibility.

Thx for the help guys but yeah driver wise everything is up to date as far as I know yet Im still experiencing the problem. I guess I'll will wait and see what SP1 brings as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I found the solution, do your best to spread the word if you see other people suffering from the same problem.

Uninstall Zonealarm! (I just uninstalled lataest version and it has totally fixed the programs not closing for me!) I downloaded the version on 2nd of October 2007 so they may have fixed it in any release after that date.

• 2 weeks later...

I have same problem!

With utorrent.

But also i notice it with Limewire - it is also p2p application.

dont have Zone Alarm or any firewall/antivirus

my Vista is x64

Edited by toh

If you're not getting an error, and the process is just hanging around in the list, it means the problem is in a driver somewhere. Either that, or you use some badly coded app to launch it, and that app opened a handle and didn't close it. However, the app is for all intents and purposes dead.

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/.../23/192531.aspx

i must say, i don't find the 'end process' in task manager as robust in Vista as it was in XP.

in XP, i can't say the force-terminating a process has ever locked my machine, but in Vista, it's done it two or three times, even with things like Internet Explorer getting stuck on a page for some reason.

It's infuriating sometimes, the process should just die but it doesn't. It's nearly as bad as Windows 9x when killing a hung Explorer or Internet Explorer window would take down the entire OS.

I think its more robust than in XP personally. End task is a million times better in Vista though.

i must say, i don't find the 'end process' in task manager as robust in Vista as it was in XP.

in XP, i can't say the force-terminating a process has ever locked my machine, but in Vista, it's done it two or three times, even with things like Internet Explorer getting stuck on a page for some reason.

It's infuriating sometimes, the process should just die but it doesn't. It's nearly as bad as Windows 9x when killing a hung Explorer or Internet Explorer window would take down the entire OS.

Did you even read the post above yours? "End Process" works exactly the same. If you have a driver (or some kernel-mode software) that's buggy, you're going to see this problem. Doesn't matter which OS.

i read it, but even if task manager calls the same api to do the terminating, it doesn't mean the implementation of those calls inside the kernel or whatever module is the same. i very much doubt it is.

but my own experience suggests that is not the case, i manage a network with nearly 1000 desktops, mostly win xp, a few 2k. i've never come across an end process killing the machine. in the windows 9x days it happened all the time, but not in xp.

whatever is different, i've worked on enough systems to know that you can't blame it on drivers. if it was a driver problem, why didn't i experience the problem in similar quantities in xp? xp has it's fair share of duff drivers, especially for usb peripherals like some rs-232 converters which crash the machine when you yank them out etc.

most of the applications i've had difficulty killing are microsoft apps, bundled with the o/s like (internet) explorer. like i said, if i did something like cancel a file operation and explorer hung, killing the process in task manager would just hang the machine. not even ctrl-alt-del would work. it doesn't happen every single time, just sometimes.

Edited by Mr Winkle

whatever is different, i've worked on enough systems to know that you can't blame it on drivers. if it was a driver problem, why didn't i experience the problem in similar quantities in xp? xp has it's fair share of duff drivers, especially for usb peripherals like some rs-232 converters which crash the machine when you yank them out etc.

most of the applications i've had difficulty killing are microsoft apps, bundled with the o/s like (internet) explorer. like i said, if i did something like cancel a file operation and explorer hung, killing the process in task manager would just hang the machine. not even ctrl-alt-del would work. it doesn't happen every single time, just sometimes.

Because you're probably running disk or network drivers that weren't written for Vista. That's why. The OS is still doing the same thing it always did.

If you're having problem with IE and network-enabled apps, it's probably your network driver at fault. This is very common, since the networking stack is new and many XP drivers, while functional, aren't 100% compatible. Netgear, for example, will not label many of their drivers as "Vista Compatible" for this very reason, even though they work most of the time.

If you cancelled a file operation, then hit this problem, it should be very obvious that the problem is in the driver handling your disk I/O.

I had the same problem, since I have installed the latest compatibility fix it solved my problem

My reliability rating was 2.8 or so, now 9.3 still rising...

I use Home Premium 64 Bit, so maybe 32Bits still have the same bug

I have same problem!

With utorrent.

But also i notice it with Limewire - it is also p2p application.

dont have Zone Alarm or any firewall/antivirus

my Vista is x64

Well, I guess some will do anything to shift the blame from MS and its stupid product to the user.

You mean, like when the end users blamed MS when they themselves initiated the download that caused their systems to be plagued with viruses?

Stop trolling the thread. Comments like, "Welcome to Vista" after your previous comments are not welcome. You don't like Vista? Uninstall it and shut up in the Vista forum. Be a help or begone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with things not shutting down, first noticed with emule (p2p program), azureus shuts down fine though.

However, much more worrying and EXTREMELY frustrating, is Windows Media Centre now refusing to close down, although this does force shutdown with ctrl alt delete. But then I have to reboot before it will work again. A Microsoft program doing it no less, so this is obviously a serious issue that needs to be addressed by Microsoft.