XP SP3

Got my email just now...

<snipped>

As is standard practice for operating systems nearing the end of their sales period, Microsoft is pleased to announce the availability of Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta Preview, to Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 beta testers.

<snipped>

Regards,

The Windows Beta Team

SO how can others get ahold of this? I am a subscriber to just about everything but i have not seen anything on vista SP1 or XP Sp3 in my inbox's yet. Makes me sad :(

Anyone got any invites to sp3?

i did sp2 but not on 3 :(

There are no invites. The XP SP3 Beta is only open to those testers that are already in the Server 2008 Beta or Vista SP1 Beta. You know, the testers using Vista or Server 2008, not XP. It makes a lot of sense doesn't it.

Is IE7 and WMP11 included in SP3?

No, they won't be in until the Final Release.

There are no invites. The XP SP3 Beta is only open to those testers that are already in the Server 2008 Beta or Vista SP1 Beta. You know, the testers not still using XP. It makes a lot of sense doesn't it.

Well, I have not used XP for a while but since I got the email, I figured I might as well go back to it for a bit on this laptop. I am sure a lot of other testers would do the same.

Are you sure? They don't tend to put stuff like that in service packs, SP2 was the exception. Also seems bizzare they would leave testing of that out as its a major thing to put in a SP

There are no invites. The XP SP3 Beta is only open to those testers that are already in the Server 2008 Beta or Vista SP1 Beta. You know, the testers not still using XP. It makes a lot of sense doesn't it.

meh its fairly handy to me, I run Vista SP1 on my work laptop, but we have well over 400 XP machines. So its helpful to be able to test it out. Also I still run XP at home so its not as useless as you might think.

Edited by DrCheese

Where did you get this info?

It would be a first for them to update a media player and browser (apart from the SP2 exception) in a SP...

Edit: Oops, didn't notice DrCheese's post... :blush:

Edited by alpha_omega

Let me rephrase this. There are certain compatibility issues with both IE7 and WMP 11 that may not get worked out until a RC release or the Final build.

I didn't mean for it to sound like both IE7 and WMP 11 would be part of the XP SP3 package.

btw, anyone know if this the same beta as was leaked a while ago? bink.nu says it has the same file size but a commenter there says that the digital sig has changed..

Microsft has already stated SP3 will just be a compiled amounts of updates and no new features but just some updated and fixes that is it. same with SP1 for vista but only in vista SP1 they are makeing some small UI changes but nothing huge no new features so no new features for either XP or Vista

The only thing I found disappointing is that Microsoft is choosing not to update WMP and IE in this service pack. Perhaps there should be two service packs, one with updated software and one without?

So it's nothing that significant is what your trying to say? It's not a huge deal, but a Service Pack always gets me a little eager to find out what changes, even if it's a small thing.

I like service packs because, for people like me who like to build their own installs, it saves me from having to find all the updates i need to put together, or even running one of the scripts out there that downloads them all for you.

Its official, its from MS, and it has all you need in one chunk. They know just as well as most out there that even though Vista is catching up in a lot of ways, XP still is faster for some niches of the computer world.