Feedback Appreciated

Question

Hi All,

I've been briefly working on a project so far, and I'd like to get some feedback on it.

It is a file uploading web application that will be free and downloadable, so that it can be run on your own server. It will basically allow you to upload anything you want to your server, and present it in a pleasant graphical user interface, so that you can download it, preview it, get information on it, and share it with others. It will include the ability to 'invite others' to view your gallery, giving them a user name and password to log in with.

Example scenarios:

1) If you are away from home and want to show others some photos of a vacation or holiday, you could log in, and allow them to see them, as well as download them to their own computer for later viewing.

2) If you've got some work you want to do but don't have your computer with you, you'll be able to download the files, work on them, then re-upload them to work on later.

3) Instead of sending attachments with emails, you could send direct links to the images in your email message, for viewing by the recipient.

I've attached a screenshot, and would love to hear what you guys think of this concept. :) Both positive and negative criticism is welcome. :D

Thanks in advance,

Smctainsh

Latest Update: Go to this post in this thread to find out the latest progress on this project. I'd love to know what you guys think of the changes made. :) To try it, go here and log in using the user name and password 'demo'.

post-78416-1192587701_thumb.png

Edited by smctainsh

A bit of an off question - Do you use WebCipher the tool that you built to build this site? =)

Great work so far.

I do indeed; the whole site is coded using WebCipher. :) Thanks for the kind words. :D

Smctainsh

Here's a quick update on Transit:

The 'Show in Gallery' feature has been re-implemented, and should be working now. I've also added a survey, and would really appreciate it if you guys could fill it in. To access it, just log in and click the orange button in the bottom right hand corner of the Transit window.

I'd love to hear any further feedback you guys may have.

Thanks,

Smctainsh

Don't allow people to access the folder of the uploads directly. Put the uploads outside the webroot and call them if needed.

Thank you so much! That is a fantastic idea and is excellent for security. It has now been implemented. :)

Thanks again. :D

Smctainsh

Don't allow people to access the folder of the uploads directly. Put the uploads outside the webroot and call them if needed.

Not everyone has this option so it'd be a good idea to add a .htaccess file that disallows direct linking too.

order allow, deny
deny from all

Sshould probably do it.

Not everyone has this option so it'd be a good idea to add a .htaccess file that disallows direct linking too.

order allow, deny
deny from all

Sshould probably do it.

Thanks, that sounds like a really good idea, as I have run into a bit of trouble with image thumbnails and previewing, due to the new location of the files.

Thanks so much. That'll come in really handy. :D

Smctainsh

I have a lot of experience with PHP file repositories, if you need any help feel free to add my MSN.

Thanks. :)

Smctainsh

No, you've not fixed it.

See here.

It was fixed at the time of posting. I ran into severe complications with images not displaying correctly as the browser cannot show the images at that depth in the server structure, therefore it was changed.

Smctainsh

I have one bit of feedback. While using Firefox 2.0.0.11 (not tested in IE) the description of things comes up REALLY fast, and is in the way of clicking on the images. Try moving it to the right or left of the image, so it is not in the way of things

I tried clicking back while opening a picture, and made me exit the session, maybe make the close button also work by clicking the image?

I have one bit of feedback. While using Firefox 2.0.0.11 (not tested in IE) the description of things comes up REALLY fast, and is in the way of clicking on the images. Try moving it to the right or left of the image, so it is not in the way of things

I tried clicking back while opening a picture, and made me exit the session, maybe make the close button also work by clicking the image?

Cool, great suggestions. I'll work on it. :)

Smctainsh

I don't understand why the browser has difficulty displaying images from another directory? All you really have to do is change the directory and jump back a level. Instead of "/images", we now use "../images" so it uses the images folder one level back. Use PHP to do the grabbing of the images, the browser wont know any different.

Thumbnails load very sloow for me, and to me it seems that they are not real thumbnails (resized images to the size of a thumbnail), instead, they are scaled-down images..

There's a photo of some soldier in the "demo" account, so I saw that there...

How's things going on this front? it's a great app =)

See this thread. I really should have just posted in this thread, but I didn't for some reason. :)

Thanks,

Smctainsh