Firefox 3.0 Beta leaks out a few days early

For those that just can?t wait, the first beta version of Firefox 3.0 has leaked out a few days early.

Mozilla is ready to unleash their next version of the controversial Firefox browser. Mac and Linux versions can be found here, and Windows versions here.

A large caveat though: Don?t expect most, if any, of your extensions work.

I downloaded the Windows version and my copy is looking a tad bare to say the least. Yahoo and Google toolbars are broken, no weather down in the corner, no Greasemonkey and so on.

Was it worth it though? The short answer is ?yes?. A couple of new features include ?Places? which will give you quick access to some of your most frequently visited sites. And if you want to quickly bookmark something to Places, just click the star icon next to the URL bar. One click will do a quick marking, click it twice and you can choose the folder it goes to and edit the information about it.

The download manager got a cosmetic facelift, as did the add-on manager. As I said earlier, it looks like every extension is broken, but the plug-ins all seem to be okay so far.

When exiting Firefox you will also get a new option when asked if you want to close all your tabs: Do you want to save & quit? You can finally save your tabs, saving you oodles of time if, like me, your first four tabs are the same every day.

I would recommend waiting for the official release, but things look promising so far.

Source: The competition, they don't want me to link to!

why did you not read that before you posted?? The only builds that are available are the RC's for 3.0 b1. Get a little over-excited??

I am not excited, I just copied the story from where it was posted...and cannot link to it because neowin is afraid of competition.

You're just like the member who assumed because Mark Jensen uses Linux he does not like to pay for software...there are only one type of people on the planet I hate; and it's people like you, people who make assumptions!

^That was harsh. And before you post an article from another site verbatim it wouldn't hurt to make sure it's true.

That may have been harsh, but what I said is the truth...people have to learn to stop assuming things about others. Hell, I am a Ethnically Diverse Person, so I must be a criminal as well; I -- and billions of others -- always get that assumption made...so I am allowed to be harsh.

I am not excited, I just copied the story from where it was posted...and cannot link to it because neowin is afraid of competition.

You're just like the member who assumed because Mark Jensen uses Linux he does not like to pay for software...there are only one type of people on the planet I hate; and it's people like you, people who make assumptions!

Settle down brah.

(Hi! You may have been redirected here while looking for the Firefox 3 Beta. We’re sad to say that it’s not actually ready yet, but we’re awfully happy that you stopped by. Read on for more details!)

That may have been harsh, but what I said is the truth...people have to learn to stop assuming things about others. Hell, I am a Ethnically Diverse Person, so I must be a criminal as well; I -- and billions of others -- always get that assumption made...so I am allowed to be harsh.

I didn't make a single comment about anything about you on a personal level. Just knock the chip of your shoulder for once. Asking if you got over-excited was nothing to get that upset over.. Nothing gives anyone the right to be spoken to in any forum like that. How could I think that you're a criminal when I don't even know you??

So you hate me for a single forum post?? Looks like you have more to worry about then what I said.

Don't know what you are on about mate but FF3 is not released and I did a quick article here about this development. Thanks for the heads up https://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/11/08/m...ox-30-beta-leak

PS: If you mean Digg, yeah then you are right we prefer the original source.

It's not on Digg that I got the story...it's on a company's web site that prefers to post their news in blog forum; and because of that they -- neowin -- has added the URL to the spam filter. I am so not impressed.

There is always a valid reason for adding a site to the spam filter, whether you agree or not that is always determined based on member feedback and blatant spamming.

It's not on Digg that I got the story...it's on a company's web site that prefers to post their news in blog forum; and because of that they -- neowin -- has added the URL to the spam filter. I am so not impressed.

Ummm... so leave and post your news stories elsewhere? For not being impressed on Neowin you sure like to submit as many "news" stories as you can get your hands on.

Well this particular build is slated for Beta 1 Release Candidate, Mozilla are making the point that it has yet to pass QC.

They took steps to protect the directory, so it's no longer public ;)

Well this particular build is slated for Beta 1 Release Candidate, Mozilla are making the point that it has yet to pass QC.

They took steps to protect the directory, so it's no longer public ;)

only for http connections, ftp still works fine

they gotta do what they gotta do to keep the digg newbs away from builds that aren't yet ready for the masses. :)

only for http connections, ftp still works fine

they gotta do what they gotta do to keep the digg newbs away from builds that aren't yet ready for the masses. :)

Agree totally, not to mention Mozilla hate stuff being announced before it's actually ready! (speaking from experience)