The Romantics sue 'Guitar Hero' maker

DETROIT, Michigan (AP) -- The Romantics have filed a federal lawsuit against Activision Inc., the maker of "Guitar Hero," saying the popular video game infringes on the band's rights by featuring a soundalike recording of its 1980 hit "What I Like About You."

"Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s" features a soundalike recording of The Romantics hit "What I Like About You."

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in the group's hometown of Detroit, seeks unspecified damages.

The song is one of about 30 songs featured on "Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the '80s."

The band also is seeking an injunction that could take the best-selling game off store shelves.

A copyright claim is not the issue for the Romantics.

The band's attorneys tell the Detroit Free Press for Thursday's edition that Activision properly secured permission to use "What I Like About You," allowing it to record a cover version.

Don't Miss

But they say by creating an imitation so much like the Romantics' original, the California-based company infringed on the group's rights to its own likeness.

Activision representatives did not return calls for comment from the Detroit Free Press.

souricon.gif News source: CNN

This will be tossed out in a second if the judge has any sense.

They allowed a cover, period. You can't later sue because they covered it too well. Obviously the whole point was to make it sound close to the original.

The band's attorneys tell the Detroit Free Press for Thursday's edition that Activision properly secured permission to use "What I Like About You," allowing it to record a cover version.

If they have permission to make a cover of the song, what's the problem?? They can make a cover but not a similar song?

There's a difference between doing a cover (ie, using the same lyrics and music) and imitating someone. They're suing because Activision attempted to duplicate *them*, not the song.

"Joe Blow - What I Like About You" is a cover. "The Romantics - What I Like About You" is not.

There's a difference between doing a cover (ie, using the same lyrics and music) and imitating someone. They're suing because Activision attempted to duplicate *them*, not the song.

"Joe Blow - What I Like About You" is a cover. "The Romantics - What I Like About You" is not.

the 360 version in gh2 would state is as "What I Like About you" made famous by The Romantics, is this the same for the 80's compelation version?

If so they are not stating specifically that it is The Romantics, I have been playing this thing for months, didnt really think about how they were able to have all these songs from different bands, now i can understand that its a cover, and not the actual song. If it is indeed a cover, they would change the notes and etc because i am sure that they didnt just hand over the "official" music tabs from the band. Some geeks probably had to sit there for hours listening and programming the timming to simulate the music. I am sure that this will get thrown out especially seeing as with different difficulties in the game that its nearly impossible to recreate the exact song even when a band plays live its a cover of themselves because you cant have the exact timing you did the night befor etc.

I think that this is just another ploy and is just retarted!

You sign a contract, you cant turn around and say otherwise.

Good luck The "Who again?", its just gonna get thown out!

Also, can someone explain how they tried to duplicate *them*, if this ramble even make sence?!?!

I'm guessing they get fewer royalties for a cover than they do for the actual recording.

I guess it makes sense to sue if the waveforms are nearly identical, although I'd say if that's the case than it clearly says something about "your sound".

It's not like they're suing everyone who's ever written a I-IV-VI-IV song, or something.

Edited by shakey_snake

im sure they wouldn't use songs without proper permission etc

See, you'd be surprised. SO many albums have been "amended" after a court case has found that "song xxxxxx samples/interpolates/sounds too much like song yyyyyy by another artist".