Vista Home Premium will not update

Ok, this is a brand new laptop.

First thing I did was uninstall any junk it came with such as Napster or MAcafee System Security.

Second thing I did was install my own protection apps such as AVG Antivirus and Comodo firewall (I prefer Kerio but its not avaliable for Vista yet).

Third thing I tried to do was install updates...... and fail.

When I start windows updates, it claims it needs to update the updater, and that the updating program will restart.

When it comes back up, it claims the install failed with error code 80070643.

The help files are no help, they claim it happens if you try to update a component of Office 2003 while the service is diabled, not only is it not but I don't have Office 2003 on this system, it came with a trial of office 2007.

I am completely unable to update anything because of this error and it is starting to drive me insane. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

just bought a new computer and have the same problems. i was able to isolate the update to be Update for Windows Vista (KB933360) published 8/28/07. i was able to update everything else by doing individual updates installations (which sucked and took forever.) i get the same code and i have the done pretty much the same thing as you: uninstalled unnecessary program. running comodo and avira anti-vir. i would love an answer for this too. msoft is really dragging their feet on this one. considering i find this problem everywhere when i search for it.

i had the same problem on a couple Vista systems I built. I found that the date in windows was something like 1988 and i had to change that to get the updates to work.

my date is current.

i tried installing the update with comodo closed (not uninstalled) but it didnt take some people have had problems with bitdefender but i dont have that. so...

Remove any antivirus/firewall > restart > then re-run Windows Update.

If that works, then reinstall your antivirus/firewall.

Radish?

well that worked. that's definitely a good thing. i dont know if it was comodo or avira but i am betting on the firewall. now i get to reinstall and have it relearn everything. yay. oh well. you gotta do whatcha gotta do. great forums here. nice and fast too. i found this topic at 8:13pm and had it solved by 9pm. sweet. thanks for everyones help. couldnt be happier

Seems my firewall, Comodo, is the problem.

I tried turning it off, disabling it from starting with windows (Which 90% of the time it re-enabled this option and started anyway) disabled it's service, etc, nothing worked.

No matter HOW much I disable it, unless I do a full uninstall this problem dosen't go away...

Check the Device Manager and see if a device is not starting. In particular, check for Wan Miniport (PPTP) or Wan Miniport (SSTP).

If you see that, update the device driver for that device to something that obviously won't work, like a network interface card, or something. Then after that's done, uninstall the device and reboot. Then try going to WU and see what happens.

You didn't happen to install one of the SP1 beta's did you?

• 3 weeks later...

i had the same problem again and i decided to see what had popped up at the comodo forums.

this thread was noted over at the comodo forums and a member gave a better fix than uninstalling and reinstalling comodo.

fonobero:

Solution:

Go to "Defense+" -> "Advanced" -> "Defense+ Settings" -> "General Settings" tab.

Check "Deactivate the Defense+ permanently (Requires a system restart)".

After the restart, KB942763 installs correctly.

worked for me but doesnt seem to work for everyone.