Why Microsoft isnt Bashing Apple?

Hi all.

Please skip if you are a fanboy of Mac or apple products.

I see lot of ads from Apple bashing Microsoft & PC's...especially now they clearly pinpoint to Vista, saying that Mac leopard is greatest..

every OS are unique & good..like wise Windows is been into 90% of the users..and for sure most of them wont leave it & run to ubuntu or buy a costlier Mac (which wont support nor wont work with most of the corporate apps & personal apps).

Why cant Microsoft create or launch a ad campaign against Apple or Mac?

Dont say that Vista is a crap...i use it personally at my home..and my new (1 day old) laptop has Vista, my brother uses Sony vaio (it has vista too)..we all fell comfortable with this OS..

Whats your opinion..(i know many wont accept these kind of *childish* ads from microsoft!)

Attached screenshot of the ads in

post-121942-1196286505_thumb.jpg

Hi all.

Please skip if you are a fanboy of Mac or apple products.

I see lot of ads from Apple bashing Microsoft & PC's...especially now they clearly pinpoint to Vista, saying that Mac leopard is greatest..

every OS are unique & good..like wise Windows is been into 90% of the users..and for sure most of them wont leave it & run to ubuntu or buy a costlier Mac (which wont support nor wont work with most of the corporate apps & personal apps).

Why cant Microsoft create or launch a ad campaign against Apple or Mac?

Dont say that Vista is a crap...i use it personally at my home..and my new (1 day old) laptop has Vista, my brother uses Sony vaio (it has vista too)..we all fell comfortable with this OS..

Whats your opinion..(i know many wont accept these kind of *childish* ads from microsoft!)

Attached screenshot of the ads in

They probably don't feel the need to do it or really care at this point due to the market share being low. Granted it's on the rise but either way they still make money on Mac customers with Office Mac.

Probably because they don't need to bash their competitor to keep their extremely commanding market share.

-Spenser

+1. Apple just have to resort to that kind of thing to pick up new fans.. because it's "cool."

Because with 90% of the market, you really don't need to advertise against your competitor.

I suspect that if Microsoft was the Apple of today and vice versa, Microsoft would do so something similar.

most of what the mac adds say about vista are true

you cant deny that without looking stupid

Most of what the mac ads are not true. Dont go saying they are. Microsoft Is trying to be the good guy. IF they started ads against apple they would look bad because they have more market share.

The only reason why apple is getting away with it is because right now they have a small market share.

@guy above me - You look pretty stupid when you say things like that.

Why because he's right? :laugh:

Because with 90% of the market, you really don't need to advertise against your competitor.

Exactly!

I suspect that if Microsoft was the Apple of today and vice versa, Microsoft would do so something similar.

yeap.. :-)

+1 I was thinking the same, when you have over 90% of the market you are basically controlling the entire computer market, Mac only have 5 or 7% of the market

Exactly. They still advertise. Like "Microsoft. Your Potential. Our Passion." and how many devices "work with Windows". They sponsored the "get the facts" adverts online on Linux searches and sites, which painted Linux in a negative light (higher TCO and such).

In the past, Microsoft has also posted a "Mac to PC" ad on their site.

They do spin their competitors in a negative light. They just don't need to do it as much, since they have 90%+ desktop marketshare.

Ok, the one thing he said in ad 5 wasn't true, everything else was. Vista is horrible, even MS knows that.

In ad 5? Vista is horrible? :blink: Which ad? They post them on Apple's website, can you share a link to the one you're talking about?

How is he not right. Tell me one thing in the Apple ads that isn't true.

Like the ads saying mac has more things out of the box. Apple is a whole pc developer and develops the os. Microsoft just develops the OS. I can buy a dell with all the same things as a mac like a web cam included.

So That is one wrong ad.

Would you like me to go on ?

Like the ads saying mac has more things out of the box. Apple is a whole pc developer and develops the os. Microsoft just develops the OS. I can buy a dell with all the same things as a mac like a web cam included.

So That is one wrong ad.

Would you like me to go on ?

Well you're wrong there. First off, you buy those things as an option on a Windows box from Dell and it comes with the OS from Apple. Apple isn't a hardware company, they are a software company. Steve Jobs has said this plenty of times, people, even Apple fanboys ignore him though.

Windows Vista Home Premium - $219.99 (Newegg)

Mac OS X Leopard - $109.99 (Newegg)

Better deal seems like Leopard, which comes with so much right out of the box. And it just works.

Well you're wrong there. First off, you buy those things as an option on a Windows box from Dell and it comes with the OS from Apple. Apple isn't a hardware company, they are a software company. Steve Jobs has said this plenty of times, people, even Apple fanboys ignore him though.

So them saying you get a webcame out of the box is software? Since when was a webcam software? When you bu ya mac you are also buying the hadrware wich apple makes and sells on apple.com.

When I can go to dells website and buy a dell branded apple computer then you can say that apple doesnt make hardware.

So yes the ads are wrong when they say you get a webcam with a mac and not with a pc. Thats just not true especially when they are comparing the hardware and software of the mac to just the OS on the pc.

So them saying you get a webcame out of the box is software? Since when was a webcam software? When you bu ya mac you are also buying the hadrware wich apple makes and sells on apple.com.

Apple doesn't make the hardware though. They design the hardware, and unlike Dell, they contract the manufacturing part to other companies.

Same with the iPods, iPhones, etc. etc. The back of those devices all say, "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China [or wherever]." Apple doesn't make any of the hardware themselves though. Dell does though.

Regardless, Apple is still a software company first and foremost. There's no two ways around that. It isn't just about what hardware you get out of the box because you don't have to buy an iMac or a MacBook (Pro), there's also the Mac Mini or the Mac Pro which don't come with a built-in webcam. If you want to compare Apples to Apples, then all you have is software and with software you do get more with Mac OS X out of the box then you do Windows.

<observation>

It doesn't take long for a thread about advertising policies to degrage down to pricing and options of product.

Also, I think Hurmoth accidentally reversed the "hardware" and "software". I remember Apple promoting themselves as a hardware company that included the OS to run on it in the past, unless this has changed. Figures a mistake like that would be jumped all over.

</observation>

Back on-topic, people keep saying "Microsoft doesn't ever pick on competitors in ads" when they clearly have.

Dont say that Vista is a crap

Vista is crap - and I whole heartidly say this as a person who holds an Ultimate Edition non-OEM version in my hand.

...i use it personally at my home..and my new (1 day old) laptop has Vista, my brother uses Sony vaio (it has vista too)..we all fell comfortable with this OS..

I don't. Infact the only time I use Vista nowadays is to test whether one of their security?/?software?/?service?pack completely wrecks my virtual machine or not. Other than that, it doesn't live physically on any machine of mine and never will - as far as I am concerned, it can burn in hell alongside with ME and Windows Bob.

Right.

I'll be right back after I remember all those comments from Microsoft how Linux is communist ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/07/31/ms...x_is_communism/ ) or Linux is cancer ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/02/ba...ux_is_a_cancer/ )?and?other?very,?very?interesting?and?very?"mature"?comments?from?them.

Also let's not forget "Get the Facts!" or should I say "Get the lies!" campaign they've been trying to push through in the recent years.

I'll also remember to duck for any flying chairs from his direction in the future.

And no, I don't care how well Vista works for you - it doesn't for me and that's all I care about.

Apple doesn't make the hardware though. They design the hardware, and unlike Dell, they contract the manufacturing part to other companies.

Same with the iPods, iPhones, etc. etc. The back of those devices all say, "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China [or wherever]." Apple doesn't make any of the hardware themselves though. Dell does though.

It doesnt matter. When apple says there computer shave a webcam out of the box and windows doesnt thats an obvious lie. IT doesnt matter if they design the computers or make them. Microsoft only makes and sells the OS. Apple designs their computer and controls what they are sold with and what they arent.

So when a mac ad brags about how they have a webcam out of the box and windows doesnt . thats just screwed up because windows is just the os not the whole pc.

The Out of the BOx ads specifically advertises the built in webcam. When you buy a dell pc they have webcams built in . Especially on their notebook pcs.

Since the ad was bashing both pcs' and microsoft it would only be fair to bring in dell to the equation. Since the ad specifically states their built in camera.

<observation>

It doesn't take long for a thread about advertising policies to degrage down to pricing and options of product.

Also, I think Hurmoth accidentally reversed the "hardware" and "software". I remember Apple promoting themselves as a hardware company that included the OS to run on it in the past, unless this has changed. Figures a mistake like that would be jumped all over.

</observation>

Actually I didn't, but I can understand where you might think I would because even Apple fanboys seem to get this one wrong. Earlier this year at the D5 Conference (Podcast available 5/30/2007 here), Steve Jobs specifically says that Apple IS a software company.

It doesnt matter. When apple says there computer shave a webcam out of the box and windows doesnt thats an obvious lie.
BUT it isn't a lie though. It does come with a webcam. If you go to Apple and you buy an iMac, it comes with a webcam out of the box. That isn't an option you can turn off when purchasing an iMac. Dell computers don't come with one by default (unless it is one of those package deals). So the ad isn't lying.

Earlier this year at the D5 Conference (Podcast available 5/30/2007 here), Steve Jobs specifically says that Apple IS a software company.

Bah. A 180-degree change whilest I wasn't looking. I only have one Apple PC in our house (and old G3 given to my son my a friend of the family), so never have followed them too closely - just enough to stay a bit informed (even if it is out-of-date) :p