Which Movie Format do You want to Win the War (Blu Ray / HD DVD)

Which Movie Format do You want to Win?  

435 members have voted

1. 1. Choose which one You want to Win / Support

• Blu Ray
    • HD DVD
    • Neither
  2. 2. What Media players do you have or want?

• I have a Blu Ray Player (also includes PS3)
    • I want a Blu Ray Player
    • I have a HD DVD Player
    • I want a HD DVD Player
    • I have a Normal DVD Player
    • I want a Normal DVD Player

I don't really care. If one wins, I will buyt that player, but if no-one wins by the time I want to buy a player, I will go for a dual format player.

What you have heard is incorrect. The only advantage Blu-ray has over HD DVD is the size, and HD DVD has started production on triple-layer 51GB discs that should work no problem on even the first HD DVD players.

Blu-ray is not a better technology, and it even supports far stricter DRM technologies than HD DVD. Not to mention that HD DVD is region-free so you can buy a movie anywhere and play it just fine. Not to mention Blu-ray players have not supported all of Blu-ray's features from the beginning, so early adopters have a very good chance of being cut out of newer special features and such. On the other hand HD DVD has had a finalized feature set since the beginning and every player has supported all features.

HD DVD is the better of the two if you ask me, and that's why I support it.

What you have heard is incorrect. The only advantage Blu-ray has over HD DVD is the size, and HD DVD has started production on triple-layer 51GB discs that should work no problem on even the first HD DVD players.

Blu-ray is not a better technology, and it even supports far stricter DRM technologies than HD DVD. Not to mention that HD DVD is region-free so you can buy a movie anywhere and play it just fine. Not to mention Blu-ray players have not supported all of Blu-ray's features from the beginning, so early adopters have a very good chance of being cut out of newer special features and such. On the other hand HD DVD has had a finalized feature set since the beginning and every player has supported all features.

HD DVD is the better of the two if you ask me, and that's why I support it.

*So you know* that post was in response to my first post where I said I thought Blu-Ray was better technology than HD DVD.

I want HDDVD to win, but in the end, I don't care who wins, so long as we only have one format. I checked both boxes for wanting both a Bluray player and an HDDVD player because there's movies on both that I'd like to see (hence why I'd rather have 1 format, even if it were to be Bluray).

-Spenser

Don't care. Just wish they would get one format together (or dual format players get cheap).

All this BS with the "format war" is just silly. And in the end, all it does is delay take up of a HD movie format.

While I will not stray from the original DVD format until a winner is declared, I want HD-DVD to come out on top for multiple reasons.

1. Sony is not developing it. I absolutely despise Sony, however, my bias aside, need I remind anyone of Betamax, MiniDisc, UMD, and Memory Sticks?

2. Let's be honest: Blu-Ray is a gay name. HD-DVD is exactly what next generation technology is: high definition DVD.

3. HD-DVD players already have the abilities that most Blu-Ray players do not. Most Blu-Ray players have Profile 1.0 firmware and CANNOT be upgraded (of course the PS3 is an exception). All HD-DVD players already support picture-in-picture, an internet connection, and local disk space. Blu-Ray is simply the inferior format. Sorry.

Edited by TheDreamX

I support HD-DVD as it is the superior movie format.

But I don't really care or possibly want any of them to win, as it is prices are going down so fast buying to players is going to cost the same as a single DVD player cost when they where 4 years old, and these are just 1.

Price wars are good. And we can all survive with two formats. Besides that neither format IS winning or WILL win. This is pretty much the last generation of physical formats, and for this generation we're stuck with both formats.

I'll buy the 360 HD-DVD addon, since it's dirth cheap when I get a better economy, and when BD hits 100-200 dollars, I'll buy a BD player too so I can play the Sony studio movies. Then again, if MS releases movie marktplace in Norway with a good selection of movies, I may not buy either. There's only a very small selection of movies I want to have physically anymore, such as SW and such. But I no longer feel the need to collect every half good or even good movie out there, I now longer watch movies multiple times, unless they're exeptional and even then there's a loooong time between the times I Watch them. Digital distribution is just far superior.

I support HD-DVD, but I suspect Bluray will probably win this one.

I'll continue to buy HD-DVDs though, at least when I can find them in stores.

HD-DVD will win, because of the price. Your average Joe doesn't know what the hell a GB is and doesn't care. All he sees is the nice triple price Blueray has to offer and thats enough for him to make his mind up on these new fancy HDTVs and players.

I'd just like it to be over. I personally prefer HD-DVD purely because the price of the technology should help it progress further/quicker but I can easily see BD winning.

Honestly though... I can see this being more of a console-style war than a VHS vs Betamax style war.

By that I mean I can see both formats running side-by-side and people have a choice of what format they want to play it on.