Making a program for changing the skin of your WMP

I am working on a program right now, it should be done soon. It is for changing the taskbar mode skin of your WMP for the common user. The only thing different with this is you will name your wmploc.dll to myskin.tbs... the program will be done by next weekend. It will also allow you to restore the original skin too. This should be a great program, and I would like to hear your opinions / suggestions on it.

Josh

Alright! Beta 2.0 is out! Here are the notes:

You MUST extract the files in the zip to: C:\WMPT for this to work.

You can get the file here: http://www.wincentral.net/beta2.zip

You can contact me here: josh@wincentral.net

or thenewjoshpyles@msn.com

The only difference with the skin files is... you rename your skin from wmploc.dll to myskin.tbs

and thats it! It has been tested, and it works!

Josh

Let me know of any bugs, so I can fix them

A back up of the original skin is included as wmploc.bak, so dont worry about it.

The program is broken if Windows is installed on any drive besides C:\. It is looking for wmploc.dll in a hardcoded path of C:\Windows\System32\wmploc.dll. Shouldn't you be finding %WINDIR% instead?

i cant get it to work..even though i followed the instructions..anyways ill wait for thw final

one thing more will it change it to the luna theme that comes with windows or the current visual style that i use??

i cant get it to work..even though i followed the instructions..anyways ill wait for thw final

one thing more will it change it to the luna theme that comes with windows or the current visual style that i use??

This has nothing to do with themes, it changes the Windows Media Player 9 taskbar skin.

I am currently working out all the bugs in my software. I will have another beta out hopefully by the end of this week. Yeah, basicly this program just changes the skin of your windows media player taskbar mode. For those who are confused. There are ways to do it without this program, you just have to do some more difficult tasks. Which could be done with a program. I know you all dont like the fact that it requires the .NET Framework, but there is no other way. The LunaBlue file... accidentally got put in the file, and once CarbonKnight mentioned it, I uploaded a different file that gives the proper credit to CarbonKnight for his skin. So, all of you who like that skin have CarbonKnight to thank. You can find skin files here.

I can not tell you enough, that you can ABSOLUTELY NOT have WMP running while you apply the skin changes. If you do, it ruins everything!

Yeah, so expect another beta out soon!

Josh

One other thing. If this program screws up anything, you will notice a file called wmploc.bak in your C:\WMPT directory. Just rename it to wmploc.dll and place it in your %windir%\system32\ folder. It will fix it all up. Other then that, that is all you can do. Trust me, I have screwed up my WMP many times in the process of making this program, and beta testing.

Josh

ok

on the delete conficting files is cant find C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\wmploc.dll

cos i havent got SP1 - i fix so non SP1 users would be nice

after ive applied a new skin it wont let me apply a new one (like if i choose the wrong one)

it says Cannot create a file when that file already exists. after applying a new skin even after i logoff/login

ill add some more bugs if i find any

p.s. can i be a offical beta tester?

Hey if you need some help with the layout of the program I would love to help you there.

I could also make some custom icons, and help with the distribution of the proggy.

Hey, thanks Carbon, uh, I dont really need help at this moment. But I do need beta testers. I just made a fix for it. Download it on this post. Directions: Extract to C:\WMPT, and run updated WMPT.exe It doesnt fix the different windir yet, but tommorow it will, or maybe even tonight. but this will allow you to successfully change skins. If you get a windows file protection error, push cancel, then yes. It is the pc yappin about how it wants the old file back. You wont see it again, until you change skins again. Make sure WMP is closed b4 u use this program. I cant say this enough!

Josh

any beta testers, add me as a buddy: thenewjoshpyles@msn.com

WMPT.zip