"Nightmare on Elm Street" Remake

New Line is in talks with horror production company Platinum Dunes to re-launch the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movie series, the franchise that helped establish the studio.

The first "Nightmare" movie was made by Wes Craven and released in 1984. The runaway success of the film spawned a slew of sequels and created one of the most popular villains in screen history, Freddy Krueger, played by Robert Englund.

The film centred on Krueger, a serial child killer murdered by angry parents, who returns with a burned face and a razor glove to terrorize teens in their dreams.

A screenwriter will be hired once the Writers Guild of America strike ends. The producers -- Michael Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form -- are hoping to focus part of the new movie on Krueger's backstory.

Platinum Dunes is prepping another re-launch, "Friday the 13th," which will be directed by Marcus Nispel for New Line, for whom it remade "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and its sequel.

The company is remaking "Near Dark" for Rogue and "The Birds" for Universal. It is also prepping a non-remake project, an untitled David Goyer thriller.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Have to say this is gonna be awesome!

Edited by Rappy

probably not

Reason?

I mean more into his back story is something I have wanted to see and Michael Bay might make it half respectable, the last few in the franchise are easily forgotten.

Platinum Dunes has been doing some great stuff lately, but I have to say the fact that Michael Bay is in this makes me really doubt how good it could be.

However, I would really like to see the classic franchises (Nightmare, Friday the 13th, etc.) resurrected from the spate of really awful sequels and brought once again to the forefront of really good horror (like Rob Zombie did with his Halloween).

Platinum Dunes has been doing some great stuff lately, but I have to say the fact that Michael Bay is in this makes me really doubt how good it could be.

However, I would really like to see the classic franchises (Nightmare, Friday the 13th, etc.) resurrected from the spate of really awful sequels and brought once again to the forefront of really good horror (like Rob Zombie did with his Halloween).

What's so wrong about Bay? I happen to like Transformers, The Island, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, .... So a Nightmare with him, I'm happy.

From IMDB :

Halloween (1979) 7.9/10 (39,542 votes)

Halloween (2007) 6.0/10 (20,734 votes)

The new Halloween was not that good. I much prefer the original and from the votes on IMDB, I'm not alone.

Reason?

"A number of industry sources recently phoned in to shed some light on the early discussions going on behind-the-scenes regarding "Nightmare"...and none of them include Englund starring as Krueger.

The franchise facelift includes discovering a new actor to polish up the finger knives and play the iconographic dream role Englund has practically made his second skin since '84."

the above is from here: http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=4483

• 5 months later...
Some fun back-and-forth love at the San Diego Comic Con this weekend as A Nightmare on Elm Street remake news heated up. Platinum Dunes revealed to Bloody-Disgusting that they have yet to reach a deal with New Line Cinema to remake the film, but still, Englund says if they remake the film, he'd love to make an appearance. Dunes Producer Brad Fuller's response? "We'd love to have him!" So even if there's a new Freddy Krueger, maybe we'll still get a sweet cameo from the legend himself. Wesley Strick was recently signed on to pen the remake, which centers on Krueger, a serial child killer murdered by angry parents, who returns with a burnt face and a razor glove to terrorize teens in their dreams.

/source

Sorry, if Englund isn't playing Freddy, it's a pass from me. He is Freddy, period. I don't care if he's "to old" to play it, I mean it isn't exactly a demanding role slicing and dicing teens lol

I still say Wes Craven's New Nightmare is the best in the series after the first movie. It's just so much darker, and the whole story within a story thing was terrific. It played off great, especially the ending. That was the true ending to the series, not that Freddy vs. Jason crapfest. Yuck.

• 6 months later...
Lindsay Lohan has been cast as the lead female role in the remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street, the film?s producer Andrew Form confirms exclusively to JustJared.com.

?We were lucky to receive a call from Jason Weinberg, Lindsay?s manager,? Andrew tells JustJared.com. ?He called us to tell us that Lindsay was very interested in the film and wanted to be a part of it. We called Jason back after Wesley Strick finished the script and asked if Lindsay wanted to look at the first draft. She looked it over and loved it. She thought this was the perfect vehicle for her.?

Andrew and Bradley Fuller, who produced the remakes of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th, will be with producing the Nightmare remake. Also on board is Michael Bay, who directed both Transformers films.

?Michael, Bradley and I couldn?t imagine having a better actress for the part and without an audition we cast her,? Andrew adds.

It was announced yesterday that famed music video director Samuel Bayer will be directing the horror flick.

Tidbits: One Tree Hill?s Sophia Bush auditioned for the role, as well as Danielle Panabaker, who stars in Friday the 13th?in theaters today, Friday the 13th!

Just Jared

another remake??? really??? i guess all creativity is gone from hollywood. :(

I've been saying that for quite some time now..next thing you know they'll be a movie on the Go bots.

They should put their money towards something good instead. The original Nightmare was ok, but why throw millions at something that's already been done?

Because the masses will swallow everything the media gives them. So remakes are the easest way to make money. Think about it:

1.- Its a well known brand (Not even series, brand)

2.- There is already a story written, they will just adapt it.

3.- Freddy is already an stablished pop culture icon.

4.- We live in times when retro is fashionable.

First off, thank god Lohan won't be in this. Second, this movie will suck (even if it does well in the box office) because Freddy = Robert Englund...there's no one else that can fill this role.