Billion 7401VGP Router, firmware update, failed half way, wont work

Hey dudes, my friend was updating the firmware on his Billion 7401VGP router and it failed half way through, now it wont work.

What can he do?

Read the manual doesnt say anything, is there a way to get the firmware fixed without a net connection?

his using some open network near his place, he says,

just tell em

i got a new billion router, went to upgrade firmware, got to about 80% and then the network went down

due to the upgrade of firmware i geuss

router turns on lights flash, but cant connect to it via ethernet or wireless

doesnt know how to fix it...

thanks.

Edited by se7en.hu

failing during a firmware update is never a good thing..

But did you try connecting to the router on it's Default IP address?? If it failed safe, it would be at it's out of the box settings.

This is me, the person with the problem.

i have tried logging into the router via its default ip address, ive reset the router through the small button at the back of it, and now i can connect to the router using ethernet, i ping the routers ip and it responds, but i still cant login to it, i just receive "The connection has timed out" default error message on firefox.

I think your going to need to re-do the firmware update.

I'm not familiar with that brand router; how where you updating the firmware, through the web interface? Sometimes routers also use a TFTP program to update firmware, if you can ping it there is a chance that would still work.

Also, you may try forcing it back to default settings, with most router that involves holding the reset button for a period of time, usually 10seconds or so. Try that too.

I've held the reset button, it doesnt help, oh and sorry when i try to login to my routers ip address, Its a blank white page thats displayed, Not the "The connection has timed out" error.

The way i can update the firmware is through the web interface, just hope there's another way to do it.

according to the manual for that router, the default IP is 192.168.1.254, is that the address you are trying to hit through the browser? I assume you assigned yourself a static IP in the same subnet, since the DHCP server on the router is probably not working right now...

have you tried the recovery utility on their website...

http://www.billion.com.au/downloads/Recove...y%207401VGP.zip

looks like there was a serial cable that came with the router that you may need to perform the work, according to the pdf file

---------

Instructions for using the Recovery Utility

1) Make sure your computer has a static IP address

2) Connect normal Lan cable from router to computer.

3) Plug the adapter that was included with router in to the serial port on computer & connect this to lan 4 (Lan 3 for 6404V(G)P) on router via lan cable (Some models have a consol cable instead).

4) Disable all firewalls.

5) Disable all network devices.

6) Reset to factory, turn router off & only turn on when prompted.

7) Run the utility, when you get to the part where it asks you to point to a specific file type, choose "All Files" in the "Files of Type" box & then choose the .cem file included with utility (This file will vary depending on model).

8) From this point just follow the prompts.

For those using Vista to run the recovery utility, please run in compatibility mode. Right click on "Recovery utility", select "Properties" & then the "compatibility" tab, check "run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2" & press OK, utility will then work fine.

Edited by k22