Blu-Ray Prices Surge with No Competition

Well I figured it'd be an extremely gradual decline or that they'd stay the same... not go UP! I've said I thought we wouldn't see cheap players until the end of the year, but now I think it'll be at least a year off.

Welcome to capitalism- supply and demand in action.

Now I wonder why people aren't accusing Sony of 'monopolistic' behaviour?

edit-

I get it: you want one standard when you're not losing and want court-mandated competition when you are.

What I find even funnier is that you're looking to TomsHardware for non-bias information. They are not tracking an individual retailer, they are tracking the average. Since there is a declared winner, I would imagine that more and more online stores are carrying Blu-Ray hardware now, most selling around MSRP [since they just started selling]. They don't provide specific examples of the price changes because they know its BS.

Whats even sweeter is at the end of the article, they declare old Blu players obsolete [1.0 still plays the movies last time I checked, just not PiP tracks or online features] and even go as far to tell consumers to pick up obsolete HD-DVD players. LOL?

Technically, not having the PiP tracks and online features make it lacking in technology, and while not necessarily obsolete, definitely inferior, just like video cards a year ago compared to the ones today.

Well this may be true, but much to my amazement I just saw Amazon is actually having a pretty decent sales on some Blu Ray titles. Both old and fairly new.

Around 120 titles in all, just make sure to click the categories at the Top of each page to see them all.

Sony Fanboys to the defense in 3,2,1

How else are they going to make the money back lost during the "War"

By buying the rights of Cell production and then closing the plants? Kamikazi!

Sony Fanboys to the defense in 3,2,1

How else are they going to make the money back lost during the "War"

Face it, I don't think much effort was put in for the victory in the "War". Not as much as people think anyway.

Damn you Toshiba! Get your act together now or they will be a reincarnation of Microsoft!

No this is called monopolizing.

Sony does not own Blu-Ray, the format was developed by a few different companies including Sony; Sony just happens to be the format's most dedicated supporter. Since other companies are developing Blu-Ray players and competing with Sony to sell them, there is clearly no monopoly. The HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray war forced companies to drop prices to increase adoption rates, but now that the war is over, the prices will be determined by the normal supply/demand and competition between companies selling the actual Blu-Ray players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

Holy moly. That's who needs to earn some cash back after the "war."

No joke. That is a load of money to lose. Its almost funny considering they could have easily won this war if they had advertised their product.

Sony does not own Blu-Ray, the format was developed by a few different companies including Sony; Sony just happens to be the format's most dedicated supporter. Since other companies are developing Blu-Ray players and competing with Sony to sell them, there is clearly no monopoly. The HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray war forced companies to drop prices to increase adoption rates, but now that the war is over, the prices will be determined by the normal supply/demand and competition between companies selling the actual Blu-Ray players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

I'm not talking about Sony. I'm talking about BD monopolizing the HD market. Don't be too sensitive about this issue.

I don't know what the hype is about blu-ray and HD DVD's, I simply buy a regular DVD and watch it on a 24" LCD. Looks great. 8-).

I don't know what the hype is about blu-ray and HD DVD's, I simply buy a regular DVD and watch it on a 24" LCD. Looks great. 8-).

You have yet to experience HD. Try watching 1080p trailers from Apple.com.

I'm not talking about Sony. I'm talking about BD monopolizing the HD market. Don't be too sensitive about this issue.

Well we're tired of DVD monopolizing the optical media market for so long! /sarcasm

You have yet to experience HD. Try watching 1080p trailers from Apple.com.

True HD doesn't even exist yet. Only in 2172 when they finally come out with a real video input will true HD exist.

...and this is why I didn't want Sony to win the format war! :angry: I called this months back and now I can say "I told you so". So typical of Sony.

Durrr....Sony doesn't own Bluray. But, hey, please continue to hate. Don't let "facts" get in the way.