Windows Vista SP1 Install Error

post-2580-1205986262.jpg

I am getting this message after trying to install sp1. I have tried the recommendations in the link provided, but still no luck. Can anyone help?

Thanks

That was the standalone installer. I got the link from neowin.

maybe try downloading it again. i used the link from neowin too and it worked ok..

maybe your file is partially corrupted or something

maybe try downloading it again. i used the link from neowin too and it worked ok..

maybe your file is partially corrupted or something

Try downloading it from neowin or microsoft?

i got that error when trying to install it on my laptop, it was due to the download being corrupted and i had to redownload it, or to save u that find the md5 of your file and compare it to the original =]

i got that error when trying to install it on my laptop, it was due to the download being corrupted and i had to redownload it, or to save u that find the md5 of your file and compare it to the original =]

Sorry, I don't know what a md5 is. How would I be able to obtain that information?

Thanks

The MD5 is a unique hash number that when compared with what it should be will tell you if the file hasn't downloaded correctly.

It's more accurate than checking the file even by how many bytes it is. You can Google for it and programs that can tell you the hash size. I'm getting the same error too but don't think it's related to a partial download.

Reading various Google links many people have said it's a corrupt download because the 0x80070002 error literally means "missing files". That doesn't necessarily mean the SP1 Download is corrupt though.

I have tried the recommendations in the link provided, but still no luck. Can anyone help?

When you ran sfc/scannow (which is one of the steps in the link) did it say if any files were corrupt?

I think that is where the error lies. A file is either missing or corrupt. So far I've not tracked down which though. I am about to start my own thread detailing what I've tried to fix it so far.

The sfc tool points you to a log in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, you'll probably need to open Wordpad with Admin rights to open it. Unfortunately this file isn't remotely user friendly to read.

Have you installed this? -

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821

This is a Tool Microsoft have developed (it's mentioned in passing in the original link in the error) to try and fix the corrupted files SFC reports.

This will create a log in (which thankfully is laid out in a user friendly fashion):

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

In my case it reports no corrupted files, great!

Edited by bradavon