Vista SP1: Error Code: 0x80070002 installing SP1

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium RTM

Hardware: Intel Core 2 Duo with 2Gb RAM and 13-18Gb free disk space

Full SP1 Download: Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe (Byte size: 455,611,504 bytes)

When I try to install SP1 I get the following error:

Error Code: 0x80070002 - An internal error occurred while Installing the Service Pack

vistasp1errorpx9.jpg

The error appears only 5-7 minutes after SP1 installation commences.

CBS Log (320Kb): http://www.alexmccaffrey.com/misc/CBS.log

CheckSUR Log (634 Bytes): http://www.alexmccaffrey.com/misc/CheckSUR.log

SFC Details (16.3Kb): http://www.alexmccaffrey.com/misc/sfcdetails.txt

I've tried to install SP1 about 6-8 times and every time it gets about 4/5 of the way up the initial install bar and crashes out with this error. I have discovered what it's doing during this phase is extracting the CAB files. I do not think it has even starting installing yet.

This error points me to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366

I have tried so far:

1. Run Check Disk by running chkdks /f /r c: followed by restarting the PC.

2. Delete the file C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log then Ran sfc /scannow - This finds corrupt files. I deleted the log first as it gets appended so otherwise has irrelevant data. Please see the section What I've learnt further down this post.

3. I cannot run the Vista Memory Checker as I get an error "\Boot\memtest.exe is not found" although it's there. I'm sure my memory is fine. The laptop was bought new last May.

4. Close all programs including my Kaspersky Internet Security tool (checking the two Task Manager processes disappear), Windows Live Messenger 8.5, End Task wmdc.exe and mobsync.exe (both related to Windows Mobile Device Center). After this I had only compulsory processes running and no open programs.

4. Tried running SP1 via Windows Update.

5. Run the CheckSUR tool, as Windows Update after I first ran SP1 said I need to. Windows Update will only offer you this if it thinks you need it. This can be downloaded here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821

6. This created a C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log file and it says "No errors detected" (the log is in plain English). I understand the CheckSUR tool is directly related to the corrupt files SFC (mentioned earlier) mentions. Both tools are designed to fix corrupt/missing/inconsistent Windows files.

7. Tested it in Safe Mode.

8. Logged in using the Hidden Admin account and tested it.

9. Completely uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Security (my AntiVirus/AntiSpyware/Firewall tool).

10. Re-downloaded the file and again the byte size is 455,611,504 bytes.

11. Made sure the Windows Modules Installer Service (TrustedInstaller) was set to Manual and Started.

12. Made sure the following SP1 Prerequisites are installed: KB937287 and KB938371.

13. A while ago I deleted various system files in the WINSXS folder. I have since restored them all. For info on what I did look here.

14. Restoring the TCPIP.SYS file with the Original Vista RTM one.

What I've learnt:

* As mentioned it seems to crash out extracting the CAB files.

* Error 0x80070002 literally means "missing files". That doesn't necessarily mean the SP1 Download is corrupt though.

* SFC (System File Checker) mentions corrupt files but the CBS.log is so completely unuser friendly. I cannot see where the problem lies, if it's related at all. There is no mention of errors or unable to repair X or Y. With the help of a forum member I've managed to break down the contents of the log, click here.

* Reading various links through Google I have so far only come across two established fixes:

A: Re-installing Vista over the top, choosing "Update" which fixes the missing files and allows you to run SP1. I don't have a proper DVD (I have a System Restore disc) so cannot do this but this is a recipe for disaster.

B: Reformat and reinstall Vista, followed by SP1.

Unless I can find a solution I may have to do that.

I have uploaded both my CBS.log and CheckSUR.log files, they can be seen at the start of this post. Can whoever is equipped download them please and see if any obvious errors are included.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance.

p.s - Iconman has the same error: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=626632

Edited by bradavon

* SFC (System File Checker) mentions corrupt files but the CBS.log is so completely unuser friendly. I cannot see where the problem lies, if it's related at all. There is no mention of errors or unable to repair X or Y.

Try if this helps:

How to analyze the log file entries that the

Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista.

also if your copy of Vista is 'vlited'...your out of luck....won't install unless its a untouched version or you find a intergrated SP1 and vlite..but you will still be installing new either way.

Thanks for that link Wilhelmus. I'll read it now.

also if your copy of Vista is 'vlited'...your out of luck....won't install unless its a untouched version or you find a intergrated SP1 and vlite..but you will still be installing new either way.

Thanks for this. Yeah I read about that. I use a Standard System Restore disc provided with my Toshiba laptop. I wish I had a standard Vista DVD but sadly I do not.

Try if this helps:

How to analyze the log file entries that the

Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista.

Thanks for this Wilhelmus. That link says:

"The following sample excerpt from a CBS.log file shows that the SFC.exe program did not identify any problems with the Windows Vista system files:

<date> <time>, Info CSI 00000006 [sR] Verifying 100 (0x00000064) components

<date> <time>, Info CSI 00000007 [sR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction

<date> <time>, Info CSI 00000009 [sR] Verify complete"

Well guess what my log says:

"2008-03-23 10:29:31, Info CSI 0000012f [sR] Verifying 100 (0x00000064) components

2008-03-23 10:29:31, Info CSI 00000130 [sR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction

2008-03-23 10:29:38, Info CSI 00000132 [sR] Verify complete

2008-03-23 10:29:38, Info CSI 00000133 [sR] Verifying 34 (0x00000022) components

2008-03-23 10:29:38, Info CSI 00000134 [sR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction

2008-03-23 10:29:44, Info CSI 00000136 [sR] Verify complete

2008-03-23 10:29:44, Info CSI 00000137 [sR] Repairing 0 components"

There are about 30 lines saying "Verifying 100 (0x00000064)" with the one entry of Verifying 34 (0x00000022) but that's it!

All I can presume is, this is the reference SFC/SCANNOW with corrupted files was referring to this line, but what does it mean? I don't have any of these, which the link says are Corrupt files:

Cannot repair member file file details

Repaired file file details by copying from backup

Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:36{18}]"\??\C:\Windows\inf"\[l:18{9}]"netnb.inf" from store

Any ideas guys?

Edited by bradavon

Have you use vLite or anything like that to modify system files? Hacked uxtheme, tcpip stack, or any other modified system files?

vLite = No

uxtheme = ??? So that would be a no :D EDIT: I've not touched that. I don't tend to bother changing Visual Styles, the Default Visual Style is fine.

tcpip stack = Yes, don't tell me SP1 is that fussy? Could that be it? Come on Microsoft!

Jeez did Microsoft have to lock Vista down so much! It takes all the fun away :D . Previous Service Packs wouldn't have cared.

I did ages ago delete several large files from the winsxs * folder which initially caused SFC /Scannow to cause errors in the CBS Log but after running the CheckSUR tool it created a handy CheckSUR.log which told me what files where missing and what folders they needed restoring to (there were 17 missing files). So I installed 7-Zip (which can open WIM Images), opened the WIM Image on the Vista DVD (which I had to borrow from someone has my DVD is a System Restore disc) and restored them back into the original folders.

I had to take ownership of the folders in order to have permission to do this. I tried to give ownership back to TrustedInstaller after the files were restored but I couldn't find it in the user listed to granted ownership back and typing TrustedInstaller didn't work.

I only changed ownership of the 7-8 folders inside winsxs that I needed to copy the files back into not the winsxs folder generally (or subfolders) and not the existing files inside the subfolders in question. I hope that makes sense. So that could be it I suppose, but crucially all the files are now there.

I confirmed this as both SFC/Scannow by way of the CBS.Log and CheckSUR tool by way of CheckSUR.log have confirmed (see posts above) all is now okay/no errors to report.

I didn't mention it as all the missing files are restored. I guess it probably is relevant.

* Including the annoying sample videos I don't want and take up stacks of space and handwriting files in Korean and Japanese I'll equally never use, especially when they're all duplicates of files already on the hard disk. I have a laptop, it doesn't have endless disk space.

Here is a link to the MS report site. I just filed a report for a similar problem (corrupt files after checking w/ SFC) and they're currently helping me.

Thanks Ralph.

I guess I'll have to try that soon. I've never contact MS for support before, that will be a weird thing to do.

Edited by bradavon

I guess I'll have to try that soon. I've never contact MS for support before, that will be a weird thing to do.

They're actually really helpful. I got SP1 to install.. turns out all I needed to do was run chkdsk :wacko:

Anyone?

I've included a link to the SFCDetails.txt file I mentioned earlier (the extract of the CBS Log) in the first post. I've also added:

12. Made sure the following SP1 Prerequisites are installed: KB937287 and KB938371.

Hacked tcpip stack, or any other modified system files?

I've just tried restoring the TCPIP.SYS file with the Original Vista RTM one. No joy :(

You seem to have tried everything ... and more ! :)

Tell me about it :( . I'm close to giving up and wiping the PC.

I cannot run Vista's Memory Checker (as mentioned in the first post) and System Restore has never worked since I installed Vista (after 4-5 days all SR points are wiped) plus I do need a larger hard disk. So I may take the opportunity, buy a larger hard disk and reinstall Vista.

Try this basic: Flush Software Distribution Folder and see if it helps. Check

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070002.html

As it happens I've tried that. I came across it while Googling.

I didn't delete the entire SoftwareDistribution folder as the Microsoft KB link says (although it says to rename it) but deleted both the contents of the DataStore and Download subfolder. Alas it made no difference to installing it via Windows Update or the Full Download :(

I forgot about trying it.

also check here and see if something there helps.

Thanks. There's loads in that link. I'll get reading :cool:

Try this basic: Flush Software Distribution Folder and see if it helps. Check

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070002.html

I did this again earlier but this time I wiped the entire SoftwareDistribution folder. Alas it made no difference.

also check here and see if something there helps.

I ran through this step by step:

1. Tool To Repair WindowsUpdates - I've already run the CheckUSR tool and it reports no errors at all.

2. Windows Vista Updates fail To Install - I tried deleting the Catroot2 folder, no difference. All Event Viewer says at all for the period is: "An update was downloaded.". It doesn't mention anything about happens next, i.e - trying to install the Update.

The Windows Update.log just says:

2008-03-25 15:18:25:363 1016 b0 Driver DriverUtil marking {CDF835AB-70DB-4879-8F12-7D0C9CC4DF73}.100 e_detectionStateInstallable

2008-03-25 15:18:25:363 1016 b0 Driver Matched driver to device ACPI\SYN1902

2008-03-25 15:18:25:363 1016 b0 Driver Status: 0x180000a, ProblemNumber: 00000000

2008-03-25 15:18:25:363 1016 b0 Driver Calculated driver attributes as 0x00000000

2008-03-25 15:18:25:363 1016 b0 Driver DriverUtil marking {3A376693-A7BE-4C89-8A3F-083AE03ED0F0}.101 e_detectionStateInstallable

2008-03-25 15:18:25:363 1016 b0 Driver Matched driver to device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_10418086&REV_02

2008-03-25 15:18:25:363 1016 b0 Driver Status: 0x180200a, ProblemNumber: 00000000

2008-03-25 15:18:25:363 1016 b0 Driver Calculated driver attributes as 0x00000000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4222&SUBSYS_10418086&REV_02 - Is my Wireless card. Which cannot be the problem. I use it to access the web so am not surprised it's in the log.

Checking out the Windows Update Error codes link: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/wuc.htm

The only code in the text above is 0x00000000 and all that says is:

Error Code Dec Error Code Error String Description

0x00000000 -4294967296 Success

That's not exactly helpful.

3. Cannot Update Windows using WindowsUpdate? - I went through all the steps in there and again no joy. I even restored a clean HOSTS file and that made no difference too :(

Unless anyone has any more ideas I'll continue Microsoft. If I have no joy there I'll have to format my PC :(

I didn't realise until afterwards so fired off a second e-mail to ask them to ignore the first one. I then re-sent it to the correct team. To save repeating myself I've pointed them to this thread.

Thanks again.

MS have contacted me (nice and quick) and as I suspected the only solution they can give is to Upgrade Vista over the top of the existing one. The problem here is I have one of those god awful System Restore Discs which doesn't offer that functionality.

So they have kindly offered to send me a Free Vista DVD. I've given them the details so they can ship me one :p . I wasn't expecting that, most impressive.

I ended up sending off to two Support Requests and the one sent to the Windows Update team has been passed to the right team. The second ticket has also been actioned by someone else too.

Unlike the first Microsoft person (the one which first went to the Windows Update team) who has read this forum link I provided the second person has not and has asked me to try loads of things I've already said I've tried :(.

The first person said she spoke to her Manager for some time and he authorised a Vista replacement DVD. I do believe that is the only solution I have left. I've replied to the second person asking they close the duplicate support ticket.

I'll keep you posted how the In-Place Upgrade goes. Thanks.

Edited by bradavon

tcpip stack = Yes, don't tell me SP1 is that fussy? Could that be it? Come on Microsoft!

I wouldn't call that "fussy." After all, you're talking about replacing a crucial system binary with a non-signed file that doesn't match the checksums and such that Windows is expected. Heck, those hacked binaries tend to be edited in a hex editor, by somebody who doesn't know what the actual code looks like. You can't blame the OS / updater for being confused when it finds a binary that doesn't match the one its records say it should have.

As it happens SP1 still failed when I put it back anyway. I think it's fussy an Update would care that much about one DLL.

People wouldn't be doing it if the TCPIP restriction wasn't in place.

• 1 month later...

I did ages ago delete several large files from the winsxs * folder which initially caused SFC /Scannow to cause errors in the CBS Log but after running the CheckSUR tool it created a handy CheckSUR.log which told me what files where missing and what folders they needed restoring to (there were 17 missing files). So I installed 7-Zip (which can open WIM Images), opened the WIM Image on the Vista DVD (which I had to borrow from someone has my DVD is a System Restore disc) and restored them back into the original folders.

I had to take ownership of the folders in order to have permission to do this. I tried to give ownership back to TrustedInstaller after the files were restored but I couldn't find it in the user listed to granted ownership back and typing TrustedInstaller didn't work.

I only changed ownership of the 7-8 folders inside winsxs that I needed to copy the files back into not the winsxs folder generally (or subfolders) and not the existing files inside the subfolders in question. I hope that makes sense. So that could be it I suppose, but crucially all the files are now there.

you weren't supposed to restore the files into that WinSxs folder, bradavon. Just the filenames. read the steps here carefully:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/21/f...pdate-in-vista/

quote from that page-

The %WinDir%\WinSxS\Backup is a cache storage for backing up critical system files that are needed to start Windows, as implemented by WRP (Windows Resource Protection) system. The solution to fix the 80070002 error due to deleted %WinDir%\WinSxS\Backup is easy. Simply by recovering or re-creating the files under the “Backup” folder with just the filename will allow Windows Update and updates installation to work again. The good thing is only need the files with correct file name to exist, contents empty for every files is okay.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Erpster3 and sorry I've only just noticed your reply. That link looks very handy indeed.

I didn't touch the Backup folder but I did delete several other files in various subfolders stored inside WinSxs. Either way it's a shame I didn't see that link earlier as it could've in theory helped me out, as I messed around with other folders in WinSxS it could've effect the Backup folder too.

I don't understand how restoring the actual file and creating an empty file with the same file name is really any different though? You'd think Microsoft support would've suggested the solution in this link.

In the end I killed a few birds with one stone though and:

1. Bought a new hard disk.

2. Installed Vista fresh on to it.

3. I used an official Slipstreamed Vista SP1 ISO. A mate downloaded it from Technet or MSDN. I forget which.

My License code worked fine with it, despite originally being provided one of those god awful System Restore discs.

This obviously fixed the problem. I wanted to buy a larger hard disk anyway. Now I'm up and running I've formatted the old one and will sell it.

Edited by bradavon