Software as a Service is STUPID.

I'm quite upset to see that the possibility of Windows 7 being a subscription-based OS is becoming ever more a reality. When I buy windows, I want to be able to use it for as long as I please without spending another penny. I don't care if its Modular, more power to Windows and Microsoft in that case. I do NOT want however, to have my O.S. as a subscription to renew every year or whatever.

Your thoughts on this?

Same here, I have not only been a Windows User, but also a Windows advocate and fan. However, if this is how things will be, forget it. I'm leaving the Windows Island.

I don't see anyway that Microsoft can do this now that they actually have competition. I'm sure if they didn't have that competition then there would be a good possibility of it happening and it might still happen with the business versions of Windows 7 because MS doesn't face the same amount of pressure in business as they do in the home market.

I don't see anyway that Microsoft can do this now that they actually have competition. I'm sure if they didn't have that competition then there would be a good possibility of it happening and it might still happen with the business versions of Windows 7 because MS doesn't face the same amount of pressure in business as they do in the home market.

Microsoft is mainly targeting businesses. They are testing the idea out on the day-to-day consumer, but not their primary focus.

Microsoft desperately needs to reassure its partners that it won't repeat another Vista-like development cycle. Love it or hate it, Vista's tardy arrival has damaged the company's reputation for putting out frequent, usually upgrade-worthy releases. This hurts the company in ways not obvious to end users.

Microsoft's pie-in-the-sky, dream-come-true version of the future is one in which both businesses and consumers subscribe to Microsoft products rather than buy them. As I wrote way back in 2002, this is ultimately about annualizing software revenue for Microsoft (IT shops don't mind it either, in theory). Obviously Microsoft's big focus is on subscriptions for businesses, but the company is already testing "pay as you go" consumer subscriptions in developing countries.

The whole idea seems more ideal for a business infrastructure anyways. As they state: That study found that customers who are subscribing to Microsoft's OS are getting an especially bad deal right now because the time between releases is too long, it could provide more-so as an update versus a complete software install.

As they talk about different SKU's and compare it to Linux.. I look at it like this:

You have XP and need to add features much like vista. The different SKU "packages" can be added into the install for what may be no more than an upgrade in your subscription fee (if any).

Businesses, yes. Today's consumer, no.

I think it will really all depend on what the subscription stuff is to be able to determine how it will go over. So far they are doing pretty well with the SKU's for Vista.

If you read the Ars Technica article you'll know that the subscription model was for businesses, not end users.

I did read that article, along with their related articles; It also notes a home-user possibility, as well as their related articles that they linked throughout this article mentions several times it is considered to be a home-level consumer movement as well.

i'd probably just stay with Vista as that there would be Windows ME TOO. Like hey... me too also sux so you can just skip me or switch :)

I'll see that it's not for end users also but yeah, if that was eventually to happen i'd definitely be stuck with a "old, outdated, X year old OS"

Microsoft is killing this great gaming platform called PC. First step in that direction was Vista.

or Strengthening its survivel via DirectX 10

no one is forcing you to purchase Windows 7.

Stick with XP or Vista

No one is forcing anyone to buy Windows 7 but eventually you will need to upgrade or switch platform.

Yea, people are going to have to upgrade at some point - just like with win98 and 2000 moving to XP. I dont think that vista is a bad thing - you just have to spend some time after installing getting rid of services that you dont want/need like defender, and windows security center. As well as a few other things.

And that's the whole point people like me keep trying to make. Eventually, you will have to upgrade because Microsoft will stop issuing patches.

Like it or not, you are forced. Forced to make a decision as to what OS you want next. That hard time I have is trying to move from Windows to learn Linux. I already know the Mac, but I just can't afford one of those.

This is a great thing for the PC consumer. Once again, Microsoft has screwed up. People didn't always have the option of using Macs or linux, but now they do. IMO, Microsoft is finally starting to lose its monopoly and competitors have a chance because Microsoft is taking their customers for granted and assuming they will buy whatever they put out and say is the best available.

Obviously, their belief is becoming less true everyday.

Microsoft is killing this great gaming platform called PC. First step in that direction was Vista.

Yeah, but remember that PC is anything that uses a mother board, processor and memory. Putting all this in Microsoft's shoulder is bad =O

I agree with the sentiments of everybody else - if they make Windows a subscription, I'm jumping ship to Linux.

The article is probably really about a new version of Microsoft's Software Assurance (which is an optional subscription plan for volume licensing customers) though, so I don't think ATM there's anything to worry about.

I would support a "Windows Core" package sold at retail and the rest be sold separately via online. Being able to install just what you want to use and not have things forced on you would be a nice change of pace and would put a stop to all the antitrust issues surrounding MS. Its too good to happen though and if it did, Ballmer and MS marketing would ruin it...

The subscription thing being talked about here plain sucks though.

I am confused, what does the subject ("Software as a service") have to do with the first sentence of the post, "subscription based OS."

Further, Microsoft already offers subscriptions for Enterprise customers as part of the Software Assurance program. That is nothing new, and has been extremely successful. Why would you complain about that?