PS3 Open Home Beta To Kick Off April 18th?

Boston (dbTechno) - According to sources, Sony has sent out information in regards to the PS3 Home open beta test. The Home open beta test will kick off on April 18th.

Apparently Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has sent out invitation e-mails for the Home open beta.

The subject of the e-mail, according to one of our readers, is “Home Beta.”

The e-mail states that the beta will kick off on April 18th and will end in June.

The June end date will likely allow for Sony to refine Home for the final time before an official roll-out.

The e-mail is asking for users to submit their PSN account information, as well as contact information. As more information comes out in regards to this e-mail we will continue to report further.

We have yet to receive any confirmation from Sony in regards to this though.

Source: http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/03/24/...off-april-18th/

True? - Unknown/Unconfirmed

Believable? - I'd say yes

If there is going to be an open beta, it seems it *has* to be pretty soon.

Sony have stated they are aiming for a launch in summer/Q2, so it would make sense to start an open beta for server testing/strain testing a decent amount of time before launch.

An open beta 2 weeks before launch wouldn't be very effective, especially if some larger issues become appartent.

Stay tuned, but I do believe if an open beta is planned, it's not that far off (Y)

ps. By "open beta" I don't believe Sony are just going to do a free-for-all download, most likely they'll just up the tester amount from say, 10,000 to 50/60/70 thousand.

So I'd keep an eye on http://www.homebetatrial.com/ and the likes again.

In an interview I posted, from GDC, they said they plan to "branch out" the beta, not just totally open it up.

So like I said, I don't think it's just going to be a free-for-all :(

Oooh, one of the best things about owning a PS3 is the new stuff they release...(For me anyway...I barely use it to play games or movies...I just like checking out the new features =P) Hopefully this is true!

My efforts to pin down an exact source for this have met with little success, but it’s worth noting that many PS3 forums are alive with persons who claim to have received an email invitation to participate in the OPEN beta for Playstation Home on the PS3. This final phase of the roll out for this highly-anticipated Second Life-ish time suck is reported to be set for April 18th.For those a little late to the game, Home represents a social experience that allows players to customize their own online habitat by creating a home for their virtual selves. The experience will be tied to several currently menu-driven interfaces within PSN, but also offers some really interesting possibilities for gamers.

Overall, the concept is to give PSN users a living and breathing community that delivers a social experience that rivals, or exceeds the popular (though rather plain-looking) Xbox Live.

I’d like to hear some feedback from both the folks who have participated in the closed beta, and those on the outside looking in at Home.

Please share your thoughts on these questions.

1. Does Home, as a concept interest you, and why?

2. Do you think something like Home would hold your interest beyond the initial roll out?

3. Would you be willing to PAY for Home (monthly)? What about for add-ons and accessories to pimp out your virtual crib?

4. Is it fair to call Home a Second-life knockoff?

5. What challenges do you think Sony is facing or will face as Home goes public?

Source: http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/200...rtual-lamp.html

Spreading around this rumour...

Feel free to answer the boldened q's if you like (Y)

Oooh, one of the best things about owning a PS3 is the new stuff they release...(For me anyway...I barely use it to play games or movies...I just like checking out the new features =P) Hopefully this is true!

Heh yeah.

It's been nice to watch the improvements since launch. Of course I would of preferred everything to be in there from launch, and so would most of the gaming community (or at least crucial things that were missing - some updates will always come as time passes), but they're all popping up now (Y)

Please for the love of god, let this rumour be true! I've been looking at Home ever since I got a PS3.

Yes, this would be amazing! I doubt if it is only invited people that I would be part of the beta though. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Your time will come, I'm sure it will happen soon as I logged on to HOME this morning and no one was on so I am sure something will happen soon as non of the Beta Testers seem to on it these days!

So maybe releasing it to the public will make the servers busier :)

has this always been on the home site?

"Keep checking back on this site to register an interest in taking part in an exclusive closed Beta Trial of Home?"b>i>

yup. ever since last march when they first announced home.:unsure:e:

I was getting excited to use home :(

You ain't missing out on anything, you can only really use it when they are doing server load tests, other than that it is dead.