Ubuntu 8.04 and Accelerated Video Drivers?

8.04 doesn't seem to like my ATI x1650 Pro video card. When I use the accelerated drivers included or use EnvyNG to install the drivers after (Uninstalled the other one before using this.) all I get is a black screen. In Recovery Mode when I use the Xfix option to fix the Xconfig file all I get is a white screen. In all of this I see the Usplash screen ok, but nothing after it. I had first tried after an upgrade and then with a clean install. Could someone please help?

it's taking forever to upgrade to hardy over apt :( I'm downloading at a mere 20kb/sec maybe i should have taken the upgrade via dvd approach.

just realised that i posted in the wrong topic...ignore this and previous post :p

sudo apt-get install fglrx-driver

Then a

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Hope that works out for you.

No, it didn't work. Thanks for the help anyways.

mm I dont know exactly how it works, when you say "accelerated drivers included" do you mean the open source ones that are include by default?

I installed hardy yesterday, and I had to do apt-get update first (took ages, servers are hammered) and then in the administration tools the proper driver appeared on the "restricted drivers" thing (not on ubuntu right now so I can't remember). I installed them through that and it worked. But of course I was using nvidia, but I dont remember it being any different with an ati on my laptop (ubuntu 7.10 though)

mm I dont know exactly how it works, when you say "accelerated drivers included" do you mean the open source ones that are include by default?

The one that is automatically installed when it detects that you have an accelerated video card..... This worked fine before under 7.10.

I installed hardy yesterday, and I had to do apt-get update first (took ages, servers are hammered) and then in the administration tools the proper driver appeared on the "restricted drivers" thing (not on ubuntu right now so I can't remember). I installed them through that and it worked. But of course I was using nvidia, but I dont remember it being any different with an ati on my laptop (ubuntu 7.10 though)

8.04 no longer has a Restricted drivers section. Its now called Hardware Drivers.

8.04 no longer has a Restricted drivers section. Its now called Hardware Drivers.

you are right. anyway, what I described still happened (apt-get update, then the right nvidia driver appeard on hardware drivers, then I installed it and it worked). the one you choose there is the 'restricted' one, not the open source one that is installed by default.

you are right. anyway, what I described still happened (apt-get update, then the right nvidia driver appeard on hardware drivers, then I installed it and it worked). the one you choose there is the 'restricted' one, not the open source one that is installed by default.

I don't think that the Open Source one is accelerated and that is what I want. I've been at it all day now. I tried changing the connector from Digital to Analog. I even tried installing Ubuntu Studio 8.04 as well and the same problem. From the looks of it from others on here I don't think that 8.04 was ready to be released yet. I hope they didn't pull a Vista mess with this.

I don't think that the Open Source one is accelerated and that is what I want. I've been at it all day now. I tried changing the connector from Digital to Analog. I even tried installing Ubuntu Studio 8.04 as well and the same problem. From the looks of it from others on here I don't think that 8.04 was ready to be released yet. I hope they didn't pull a Vista mess with this.

im noticing a ton of problems with this release so far. i for one think it was stupid to include a beta version of firefox too. way to early for this release imo, there was over 70,000 people on the official ubuntu forums today and half of them were complaining about this release. :blink: