Apple Updates the iMac

As predicted, Apple released new iMacs today. The new iMacs include faster processors bringing the low end up to 2.4GHz and with the top end reaching 3.06GHz. The high end 24" 3.06GHz iMac also introduces the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS (512MB) video card.

"The iMac?s gorgeous aluminum and glass all-in-one design has been an incredible hit with our customers and is just one of the reasons Mac sales are growing three and a half times faster than PC sales," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With the latest Intel processors, a faster new graphics option and more memory, customers now have even more reasons to love the iMac."

The iMacs also incorporate the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors with 6MB L2 cache and faster 1066 MHz front-side bus (up from 800MHz). Specs are listed below:

20", 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB. $1199

20", 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256MB, $1499

24", 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256MB, $1799

24", 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512MB, $2199

The new iMacs are available at the Apple Store.

source: macrumors.com

apple_imac_morepower_20080428.jpg

Apple Updates iMac

Now with Faster Processors & Faster Graphics Option

CUPERTINO, California?April 28, 2008?Apple? today updated its all-in-one iMac? line with the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processors and the most powerful graphics ever available in an iMac. With prices starting at just $1,199, iMac includes faster processors with 6MB L2 cache and a faster 1066 MHz front-side bus across the entire line, and 2GB of memory standard in most models. The 24-inch iMac now offers a 3.06 GHz Intel processor and the high-performance NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS graphics as options, extending iMac?s lead as the ultimate all-in-one desktop computer for both consumers and professionals.

?The iMac?s gorgeous aluminum and glass all-in-one design has been an incredible hit with our customers and is just one of the reasons Mac sales are growing three and a half times faster than PC sales,? said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. ?With the latest Intel processors, a faster new graphics option and more memory, customers now have even more reasons to love the iMac.?

Packing dual-core performance into the convenience of a striking all-in-one design, the new iMac includes faster Intel Core 2 Duo processors across the line; a 1066 MHz front-side bus; up to 4GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory; and a widescreen flat-panel display supporting millions of colors. For the first time, the 24-inch iMac features an optional NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB of video memory, to deliver up to two times standard performance for graphic intensive applications*. Providing the latest in high-performance connectivity options to quickly and conveniently transfer digital photos, music and video, iMac includes built-in AirPort Extreme? 802.11n Wi-Fi networking for up to five times the performance of 802.11g**; Bluetooth 2.1+EDR; Gigabit Ethernet; built-in iSight? video camera; a total of five USB 2.0 ports (including two on the Apple Keyboard); and one FireWire? 400 and one FireWire 800 port.

The iMac furthers Apple?s commitment to environmental progress with highly recyclable and durable materials including scratch-resistant glass and professional grade aluminum. Every model in the iMac line is rated EPEAT Silver and the power-efficient iMac also meets the stringent Energy Star 4.0 requirements for power consumption. Customers who purchase any qualifying Apple computer can recycle their old PC or Mac? for free via the Apple Recycling Program.

Every Mac in the Apple lineup comes with iLife? ?08, the most significant update ever to Apple?s award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications, featuring a major new version of iPhoto? and a completely reinvented iMovie?, both seamlessly integrated with the new .Mac Web Gallery for online photo and video sharing. Every Mac also includes Leopard?, the sixth major release of the world?s most advanced operating system which features Time Machine?, an effortless way to automatically back up everything on a Mac***; a redesigned Finder? that lets users quickly browse and share files between multiple Macs; Quick Look, a new way to instantly see files without opening an application; Spaces, an intuitive new feature used to create groups of applications and instantly switch between them; a brand new desktop with Stacks, a new way to easily access files from the Dock and major enhancements to Mail and iChat?. .Mac members can use the new Back to My Mac feature to browse and access files on their home computer from a Mac oPricing & Availabilityd****.

Pricing & Availability

The new iMac line is available immediately through the Apple Store? (www.apple.com), Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The new 20-inch 2.4 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,199 (US), includes:

* 20-inch widescreen LCD display;

* 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a 1066 MHz front-side bus;

* 1GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GB;

* 250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

* a slot-load 8x SuperDrive? with double-layer support (DVD?R DL/DVD?RW/CD-RW);

* ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB GDDR3 memory;

* built-in iSight video camera;

* built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;

* mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately);

* built-in stereo speakers and microphone; and

* the Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse and infrared Apple Remote.

The new 20-inch 2.66 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:

* 20-inch widescreen LCD display;

* 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a 1066 MHz front-side bus;

* 2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GB;

* 320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

* a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD?R DL/DVD?RW/CD-RW);

* ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB GDDR3 memory;

The new 24-inch 2.8 GHz iMac, for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US), includes:

* 24-inch widescreen LCD display;

* 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with a 1066 MHz front-side bus;

* 2GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM expandable to 4GB;

* 320GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 7200 rpm;

* a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD?R DL/DVD?RW/CD-RW);

* ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB GDDR3 memory;

Build-to-order options and accessories include: a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, up to 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB of video memory and up to a 1TB Serial ATA hard drive on the 24-inch iMac; up to 4GB DDR2 SDRAM and up to 750GB Serial ATA hard drive on the 2.66 GHz 20-inch iMac; and up to 4GB of DDR2 SDRAM and up to 500GB Serial ATA hard drive on the 2.4 GHz 20-inch iMac. Additional options include: Apple Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse; AirPort Express? and AirPort Extreme Base Station; the AppleCare Protection Plan; and pre-installed copies of iWork? ?08, Lo*Testing conducted by Apple in April 2008 using preproduction 24-inch iMac units with 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processors. Based on Quake 4 using 1920 x 1200 High Quality setting. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of iMac.

**AirPort Extreme is based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification. Actual performance will vary based on range, connection rate, site conditions, size of network and other factors.

***Time Machine requires an additional hard drive (sold separately).

****The .Mac service is available to persons aged 13 or older. Annual membership fee and internet access required. Terms and conditions apply. internet access required. Terms and conditions apply.

Source: Apple PR |

I do not get it. Why is the FSB at 1066? If they are using the new Wolfdale 45nm chips it should be 1333mhz fsb.

Their using Montevina chips.

2.4, 2.8 are 1066mhz and the 3.06 1066mhz is the Core2 Extreme mobile processor. Oh wait.

I do not get it. Why is the FSB at 1066? If they are using the new Wolfdale 45nm chips it should be 1333mhz fsb.

If I am not mistaken the 1600 you speak of is for the "Extreme" edition of the woldfale. The main version only supports up to 1066

and they only use 800mhz ram...

Still really overpriced... i still cant believe people buy their crap.

They are hardly crap. I think ?1400 for the top model is a decent price. Considering the iMac I'm on at the moment (first-gen Intel iMac CD 2GHz) cost the same amount when new.

Their using Montevina chips.

2.4, 2.8 are 1066mhz and the 3.06 1066mhz is the Core2 Extreme mobile processor. Oh wait.

I did not know they used mobile chips. I seen the 6mb cache and though 45nm Wolfdale like the E8200-E8500. And no the 1333mhz is not for extreme editions it is used on all the 45nm Intel chips. 1066 is 65nm.

how well can the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO run 1920x1200 resolution when it's not used at all for gaming? I never buy ati cards anymore so I'm not too sure how good they are.

I did not know they used mobile chips. I seen the 6mb cache and though 45nm Wolfdale like the E8200-E8500. And no the 1333mhz is not for extreme editions it is used on all the 45nm Intel chips. 1066 is 65nm.

The iMac use the same mobile chips as in the MacBook Pros. So, expect an update soon. ;)

The iMac use the same mobile chips as in the MacBook Pros. So, expect an update soon. ;)

I guess that is why it is so thin. It is funny I was thinking of getting a new lappy and Apple came to mind. I might hold out till then.

..any word on the future iPod's? Apple makes a stylish and good product..just a little on the pricey side, but still - you get what you pay for, right? ;)

The problem with all in one PCs is that when you inevitably upgrade to a new PC/iMac/all in one, you junk a 20"+ flatscreen. And because they're limited in upgrade options (I believe its RAM and HDD upgrades only for the iMac), the upgrade is more of a pressing issue. Now in fairness, this isn't an iMac specific issue, its a flaw of all in ones. My problem with the apple line up is that the midline option (with the mac mini as the low end option and the Mac Pro as the high end option) is an all in one design - there is no midline option without this problem.

The problem with all in one PCs is that when you inevitably upgrade to a new PC/iMac/all in one, you junk a 20"+ flatscreen. And because they're limited in upgrade options (I believe its RAM and HDD upgrades only for the iMac), the upgrade is more of a pressing issue. Now in fairness, this isn't an iMac specific issue, its a flaw of all in ones. My problem with the apple line up is that the midline option (with the mac mini as the low end option and the Mac Pro as the high end option) is an all in one design - there is no midline option without this problem.

The major difference in this case between PeeCees and iMacs is you wont need to upgrade an iMac for 7+ years, a PC you need to upgrade everytime a new operating system comes out

The major difference in this case between PeeCees and iMacs is you wont need to upgrade an iMac for 7+ years, a PC you need to upgrade everytime a new operating system comes out

But how often does MS update Windows huh?

It's a moot point, PC or Mac, if you leave it 7 years, it will run the latest OS rather poorly. If you upgrade the OS. If you don't, well, PCs running XP still work...

Then don't junk it. ;) Always good to have a spare computer around.

I'd have already bought one if they didn't have glossy displays. Looks like a great machine, I still have fond memories of the old white iMac that I sold. :'(

Whoo, really drinking the kool-aid today eh? :laugh: