Office 2008 SP1

Looks like the Mac BU have done a u turn"

I also wanted to give you a glimpse of the next version of Office for Mac. As with SP1, we are taking your feedback and using it to help us make Office for Mac better. We are very clear that Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) is an important feature to certain customers, and we will be bringing support back for VBA in the next version of Office for Mac - along with continuing our support for AppleScript.

Visual Basic back in...

Looks like the Mac BU have done a u turn"

Visual Basic back in...

With the level of complaint they received about this, no surprise at all. :p

okay, wtf... how do you uninstall this sp1 crap? after i install it, it won't even start any office app anymore. it keeps looping the stupid customer experience improvement program screen on me. after i click finish, it wants to check for update, and after i close that, nothing happens. trying to run any office app will invoke the stupid sequence again.

WTF

okay, wtf... how do you uninstall this sp1 crap? after i install it, it won't even start any office app anymore. it keeps looping the stupid customer experience improvement program screen on me. after i click finish, it wants to check for update, and after i close that, nothing happens. trying to run any office app will invoke the stupid sequence again.

WTF

Another satisfied customer. :p

I have yet to find a way to remove the SP1 install and some are reporting that even after reinstalling that things remain inoperative. I haven't heard back from MS regarding this issue yet.

Another satisfied customer. :p

I have yet to find a way to remove the SP1 install and some are reporting that even after reinstalling that things remain inoperative. I haven't heard back from MS regarding this issue yet.

+1, after uninstalling and reinstalling it wont work

Did you guys try removing the extra com.microsoft plist files in your Preferences folder? There's also a /Microsoft/ folder in there as well you should remove.

Did you guys try removing the extra com.microsoft plist files in your Preferences folder? There's also a /Microsoft/ folder in there as well you should remove.

Yes :(

Yes :(

I can also confirm that didn't work, tried it on a test MacBook and Office is still screwed up. Working to find the files that are hiding away keeping this from loading.

Trust Microsoft to hide damned files where they dont need to be hidden, the only files that need to be hidden are the damned UNIX ones.

Apple should have a rule against this.

Seriously, please, remove the rule against swearing on the forum, my posts would be so much more colourful

Trust Microsoft to hide damned files where they dont need to be hidden, the only files that need to be hidden are the damned UNIX ones.

Apple should have a rule against this.

Seriously, please, remove the rule against swearing on the forum, my posts would be so much more colourful

Oooh, good call. I'm on my way home here in a minute but I'm going to bring that MacBook home and check for . files from Microsoft.

If you are getting the Customer Experience dialog when you launch an Office app after SP1.

Try deleting:

~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist

Launch the app again, it will ask your name and key, it will be fixed after this.

Right, well, i'm a very amateur coder, I know my way around XCODE but I could never make a decent application at my current level. But what bugs me is i'm sure with a few mates I could build an application not far dissimilar from Word 2008 with almost none of the issues 2008 has. So why is it one of the biggest software companies on the planet lack the ability to code up a frelling word processor. I mean, how retarded could the coders (and designers) possibly be?

Seriously, if you're from Microsoft and you're working on the MacOffice 2008 project please quit your job and go and work in McDonalds but try not to give anyone food poisoning because at your level of incompetence i'm sure even that would be in your abilities.

I mean honestly, i'm in the middle of one of the biggest college projects of my life and now I cant use this crappy word processor.

/rant #2 over :D

Same here, i experienced the issue with Office 2008 sp1 in english, i reinstalled, and same issue, i uninstall absolutly office, and tried to install office 2008 in spanish, i apply the sp1, and reproduces the issue.

I will try the solution aported by Chrysaor (Thanks)

"Try deleting:

~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist

Launch the app again, it will ask your name and key, it will be fixed after this."

OMFG! How epic is this, I've installed it and now Word wont open, I click it and the setup wizard opens asking me to join the improvement program, I accept and "Microsoft AutoUpdate" opens, checks for updates then tells me theres no updates. So I exit AutoUpdate and word remains dormant, so I click Word again and it starts all over again :D lmao

Epic Fail Microsoft

Still no love, does the same on my mates Mac.. weird

WTF

+1, after uninstalling and reinstalling it wont work
I can also confirm that didn't work, tried it on a test MacBook and Office is still screwed up. Working to find the files that are hiding away keeping this from loading.
Yep, the update broke my Office too

haha...looks like Giga is the only one with a decent experience.

Same thing happening to me.

[EDIT[ Working now. :D

Edited by kraized

"Try deleting:

Launch the app again, it will ask your name and key, it will be fixed after this."

Great, now it dosnt work at all :D, Setup Assistance Crashes

OK everyone, I have had the same woes and have been watching to see who would figure it out for me first! :)

I tried deleting the OfficePID.plist & Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist files and retrying. I did get the box asking me to reenter my customer key, and did so, but then had the same problem...the never-ending loop everyone else has been experiencing. I tried these steps 2x with no luck.

Then, I tried (1) restarting my Mac, (2) deleting the files again after the restart, and (3) when the Microsoft AutoUpdate screen popped back up in the loop, I clicked on an Office app at that time, and I finally broke through...the app opened. I'm not sure which of these three things did the trick, but thankfully I've now broken past Microsoft's wall of irresponsibility...

Once again, 3 :blink: :blink: :blink: for Microsoft. I feel in retrospect like I was the dumb one, for actually being dumb enough to install ANY service pack that they come out with before waiting for everyone else to go through all the pain and agony of what it breaks :woot: :D

Microsoft if aware of the issue and is working to formulate the cause and a solution. :)

Expect a solution in 3 weeks,