Mac OS 10.5.4 Build Notes

Mac OS X 10.5.4 build 9E17 Seed Note

Pre Installation Instructions

?If you happen to have the Developer Preview of Safari 4 installed on the system you are about to install 10.5.4, 9E12 on... ****STOP AND READ THIS SECTION BEFORE CONTINUING****

>1. UnInstall the Developer Preview of Safari 4 before installing Mac OS X 10.5.4, 9E12.

a. The uninstaller for Safari DP4 is included in the it's manual package.

b. Uninstall Safari DP4.

2. Now you are safe to install proceed with the Installation Instructions below.

Known Issues

>- None

Focus Areas

>- AirPort

- AirPort

- AFP

- Active Directory/Directory Services

- CFNetwork

- CoreFoundation

- CoreGraphics

- DirectoryService

- Expose

- iCal

- iChat

- iLife

- IPSec

- Keychain

- Mail

- Networking

- ppp

- printing

- ruby

- samba

- Security

- Spaces

- Spaces pref

- xnu

iCal: Better syncing with the iPhone - different categories for iPhone as well - would be nice.

iChat: MSN protocol would be nice. ( video conferencing with msn contacts )

I don't know if we're allowed to make suggestions here but those are 2 things which bother me.

Thanks for the notes Cara.

iCal: Better syncing with the iPhone - different categories for iPhone as well - would be nice.

iChat: MSN protocol would be nice. ( video conferencing with msn contacts )

Support for different calendars on the iPhone would be on my list, aswell :)

Better support for syncing with Google Contacts. Some of my contacts come up with no internal info (name yes, but no email or anything) in GMail

and MSN protocol on iChat... i don't see this happening. they have to license it from Microsoft and i don't see Apple NEEDING that protocol for anything.

Why would Apple need a license to use the MSN protocol? There are loads of IM apps out there that connect to the MSN/Live network and none of them are licensed.

MSN Supprt on Ichat would be awesome, but would render Adium and other clients obsolete in a single stroke.

Adium is highly customisable where as iChat isn't. Not as much. I'd still use Adium for all my chat needs but I'd use iChat for video conferencing as I sometimes need to.

Adium is highly customisable where as iChat isn't. Not as much. I'd still use Adium for all my chat needs but I'd use iChat for video conferencing as I sometimes need to.

Point taken, I must admit for just chilling out online talking to friends though many users I feel would just use ichat and have a single client to do everything rather then two.

Why would Apple need a license to use the MSN protocol? There are loads of IM apps out there that connect to the MSN/Live network and none of them are licensed.

if you looked at the MSN protocol, you'd know that it has a "client challenge" negotiation to make sure that the client is approved. if you don't reply with a proper answer, then the server kicks you out.

current 3rd party MSN clients use the challenge answer of an approved 3rd party client (in other words, a leaked code). i HIGHLY doubt that Microsoft would let Apple get away with using that, as well after all, 3rd parties don't make a profit out of it... Apple would.

I don't know this, so this is what I'm thinking, I could be completely wrong, but... most third party IM apps are free, iChat only comes with OS X and Apple is making money off of that. So Microsoft could be allowing free apps to use the MSN protocol for free while Apple has to pay to use it because their product isn't free.

Just my thoughts, but I could be entirely wrong on that though.

I've been wondering where this feature was ever since getting my MacBook in January.

I'd like both home and work calender entries on my iPhone too.

I don't know this, so this is what I'm thinking, I could be completely wrong, but... most third party IM apps are free, iChat only comes with OS X and Apple is making money off of that. So Microsoft could be allowing free apps to use the MSN protocol for free while Apple has to pay to use it because their product isn't free.

Just my thoughts, but I could be entirely wrong on that though.

If that's the case surely they could get around that with making it a downloadable extra for iChat.

Can't see it making an x.x.x release. More of an x.x thing.

Man - they're really not letting up on these Leopard updates are they! Incredible!

Thanks Apple! :)

It is true that 10.5.4 will be release on June 12? I saw this news in a website.

Given there have only been 2 seeds of 10.5.4, I would HIGHLY doubt that.

Man - they're really not letting up on these Leopard updates are they! Incredible!

Thanks Apple! :)

Hate to start up another debate here, but someone brought up a good point on another board... It seems that when Apple releases updates, they are well received. Yet, when Microsoft does the same thing, it's met with boos. "Ugh... more updates!" or something to that effect.

The point they were making was that Apple makes such a big deal about how their OS is so bulletproof and "light-years ahead," yet it seems to require just as many updates as Vista does.

Apple dosnt release updates as often as Microsoft and the patches that apple release install when you want them, not randomly while you're using the Machine.

Hate to start up another debate here, but someone brought up a good point on another board... It seems that when Apple releases updates, they are well received. Yet, when Microsoft does the same thing, it's met with boos. "Ugh... more updates!" or something to that effect.

The point they were making was that Apple makes such a big deal about how their OS is so bulletproof and "light-years ahead," yet it seems to require just as many updates as Vista does.

Typically speaking Apple updates make improvements as well as bug fixes to features and are not required to insure system security. If you are running 1 or 2 .x releases back you are still normally fine on security, however if you fail to apply Microsoft's patch tuesday critical you can find your system compromised in a major way. Add that to the fact that Apple releases aren't every week and you can start to get a feel for why Apple patches are better received.

Cara, do you know if there are fixes to Spaces scheduled?

+1, Spaces is horrible now, when I change space it dosnt automatically move to the active window on that space. Annoying when I double click a movie in Finder, it switches to VLC on Space 3, then somebody comes in 10 minutes later so I press the spacebar to pause it but because Finder is still active I just get a quicklook Window. Sure i'll get used to it, but i'd rather there wasnt any massive functionality change like it

Cara, do you know if there are fixes to Spaces scheduled?

Did you have something specific in mind? At this build they aren't but I can gladly pass something up.

Did you have something specific in mind? At this build they aren't but I can gladly pass something up.

Some glitches specially with the Adobe CS3 suite. Some toolbars are invisible when you change from space to space. Most of them were fixed with 10.5.3 but sometimes the bug attacks again.

Some glitches specially with the Adobe CS3 suite. Some toolbars are invisible when you change from space to space. Most of them were fixed with 10.5.3 but sometimes the bug attacks again.

There are some more Adobe fixes in 10.5.4. :)