Why are all LCD monitors now widescreen?

Last week, I bought a new Dell computer with a 19" widescreen monitor. I was hoping for a 4:3 monitor, but I couldn't get one. Is there a particular reason why they make all monitors now widescreen?

Maybe it's cheaper for them (technically less pixels per screen). I know Apple's reasoning is that the brain reads horizontally, so having windows open side by side makes more sense. Also DVDs look better.

because it is close to the natural aspect view of the human field of vision

to be honest, once you have spent even a small amount of time using a wide-screen monitor you won't want to go back to a 4:3

I have no idea why, but I hate it. They're smaller :(

yeah but really not by much... maybe as much as 8% at a push

Last week, I bought a new Dell computer with a 19" widescreen monitor. I was hoping for a 4:3 monitor, but I couldn't get one. Is there a particular reason why they make all monitors now widescreen?

Well to start with movies are recorded in widescreen and then "chopped" down into our classic full screen views. All video games and current operating systems fully support widescreen resolutions so you dont have to worry about the stretched or skewed displays anymore. Widescreen displays offer more visible workspace on our desktop the ability to show a wider and larger view in our video games, so the question isn't why are all monitors now widescreen but rather why wouldn't they be. They make more sense in every aspect.

to be honest, once you have spent even a small amount of time using a wide-screen monitor you won't want to go back to a 4:3

I've had the new computer for three days now and it still feels weird. I miss 4:3. However, I can't deny that DVDs look better. It's internet surfing that makes the widescreen monitor look and feel funny.

I have no idea why, but I hate it. They're smaller :(

only a couple pixels really, I personally LOVE my 19' widescreen, my dad has a 4:3 19 inch and I hate it. I find widescreen better for gaming and there is more room to put apps/windows side by side which makes me more productive.

Widescreen is also MUCH better for movies.

Supply and demand.

People have bought into whatever reasoning (gimmick?) that widescreen is better, so that's what gets made.

lots of monitors are still made in 5:4 for the business sector, since a 5:4 viewing ratio tends to improve productivity.

only a couple pixels really, I personally LOVE my 19' widescreen, my dad has a 4:3 19 inch and I hate it. I find widescreen better for gaming and there is more room to put apps/windows side by side which makes me more productive.

I'm unable to work with windows that are side-by-side, for some reason, it just doesn't feel normal, which is pretty sad, because my main computer (my laptop) which I have had for almost 3 years has always had a widescreen display, and I just do things the way I do them on my laptop.

I've had the new computer for three days now and it still feels weird. I miss 4:3. However, I can't deny that DVDs look better. It's internet surfing that makes the widescreen monitor look and feel funny.

i have a widescreen laptop and a 'normal' laptop, i know which i prefer!!

p.s. give it a week or so :)

because it is close to the natural aspect view of the human field of vision

yeah but really not by much... maybe as much as 8% at a push

The first part there is false. The human field of vision is circular. However, if you think about it, there's more to see on a horizontal plane than on a vertical one, so it still makes sense (in terms of pictures/movies/TV) to have a screen that's taller than it is wide.

Unless you're really into clouds and grass. No, not that "grass."

To be honest 19in widescreen does look very small. You should have got a 22in widescreen, then you wouldn't want to go back to 4:3 aspect again. :)

However, if you think about it, there's more to see on a horizontal plane than on a vertical one, so it still makes sense (in terms of pictures/movies/TV) to have a screen that's taller than it is wide.
confused... do you not mean..

"However, if you think about it, there's more to see on a horizontal plane than on a vertical one, so it still makes sense (in terms of pictures/movies/TV) to have a screen that's wider than it is tall."

:blink:

my company bought me a 17" Dell WS when i started working here. id never seen such a thing. i'm typing on it right now. it's a great monitor, although it's too small for my tastes. I have a 20" WS at home and i already want a 24" :p

i wouldnt go back to 4:3 anymore... WS is awesome.

To be honest 19in widescreen does look very small. You should have got a 22in widescreen, then you wouldn't want to go back to 4:3 aspect again. :)

Actually it's big. My older 4:3 monitor is 13" and I loved it. But this new 19" widescreen one feels just so weird.

my company bought me a 17" Dell WS when i started working here. id never seen such a thing. i'm typing on it right now. it's a great monitor, although it's too small for my tastes. I have a 20" WS at home and i already want a 24" :p

Mine is 19" and I already want something smaller. 19" is just toooo huge. With TVs, yeah, bigger is better. But for computers, the smaller the better.

I use a 22" Dell monitor that came with my computer (widescreen) and It's AWESOME! Since it's wider, its very easy to open two or more windows side by side and not have to scroll anywhere horizontally!

i fail to see why you'd prefer a 4:3 over a widescreen

It's just weird. For instance, going on sites like this one. All the posts here are all shifted to left and right side is all empty. Even some sites like YouTube, the site is centered. With 4:3, both left and right sides are fully used up when surfing the net.

Lol yea I got a 19" wide, my dumb brother had to go out and get a 24" and make mine look like crap lol.

confused... do you not mean..

"However, if you think about it, there's more to see on a horizontal plane than on a vertical one, so it still makes sense (in terms of pictures/movies/TV) to have a screen that's wider than it is tall."

:blink:

Um...why, of course. I was just testing to see if you were paying attention and HOLY SH*T IT'S THE POPE!

*dash*